Easy Care Breeds

Guest bigdogg

Guest bigdogg

Just wondering what the 'easy care' breeds are.. (in all sizes.. toy, sml, med, large, xlarge)

Dogs that dont need a lot of grooming / exercise, dont get bored to easily, healthy, very little genetic faults? Compared to others in their category.

Are these dogs extremely popular?

And what is the dumpage rate on them? Is popular a good thing or a bad thing?

Just interested to hear people's thoughts.

Guest bigdogg

Im just thinking out loud - as it seems as though there are thousands of dogs for rescue. Trying to figure out in my own head why people dump dogs if they are easy to look after. Presuming a lot of people would buy these 'easy care' dogs because they are easy care..

see lots of staffies terriers and mals and mixes of these when i look at pounds

dogs that are swf there too- grooming probs and barking..escaping maybe

dont see shelties or collies too often and theyve got a bit of grooming obviously

i see it as either little dogs with grooming difficulties or the more dog aggressive dogs on average

dont seem to see any easy care breeds really

terriers and the mixes seem easy care coatwise but can be hyper and nippy...need some exercise and can be barkers and escape artists

generalisations for sure...but seems to be a trend at the moment

see lots of staffies terriers and mals and mixes of these when i look at pounds

dogs that are swf there too- grooming probs and barking..escaping maybe

dont see shelties or collies too often and theyve got a bit of grooming obviously

i see it as either little dogs with grooming difficulties or the more dog aggressive dogs on average

dont seem to see any easy care breeds really

terriers and the mixes seem easy care coatwise but can be hyper and nippy...need some exercise and can be barkers and escape artists

generalisations for sure...but seems to be a trend at the moment

toilet training is also an issue ...i know lots of stories where little dogs got dumped cos of the continual problems with peeing in the house

Probably because the owners don't train them properly. They think a little dog is little trouble, but even these little guys need teaching, stimulation and exercise. You have a dog, you have to look after it in all ways.

Owners are generally the problem, lack of knowledge about the breed they have, no training, unsuitable breed choice.

House training, barking, destruction of property all issues that land smack at the feet of the owner.

The majority of unclaimed impounded animals or surrendered animals that I deal with are generally untrained, poorly or totally ungroomed probably half of them are entire.

SBT and SBT crossses, working breed crosses and large boofer type crossbreeds dominate mostly shorthaired but high energy. Training issues and containment issues are high on the list.

The SWFs are generally ungroomed and untrained and of no particular breed.

We get very few purebred dogs or dogs that strongly resemble purebreds apart from SBTs, Labs and Border collies.

In general terms you don't get much easier to care for and live with than greyhounds. But there's far too many in rescue. They're a bit different to other dogs though, as most resuces are comercially bred rejects from the racetrack.

Not enough people consider them for pets though, they are subject to lots of common misconceptions.

It's an amazingly varied list as to why people "discard" their pets in the numbers they do... it's hard to pinpoint any particular type of dog (or cat) that ends up in a pound - different pounds may see different "breeds" predominately, depending on the areas they service and the types of dog generally preferred in those areas...

T.

I would have to agree with Alyosha,of all the dogs I have owned and fostered greyhounds are the easiest breed to live with generally. But as to why there are so many in rescue, the damn racing industry will not force breeders to regulate the numbers of litters they breed, any old Joe can go buy a greyhound and breed it, and so most of them end up dead before they are 4 years old :thumbsup:

Italian greyhounds are very easy care. They barely shed, have no odour and exercise themselves in the backyard. They require almost no grooming and get along well with other dogs. There are a few that end up in rescue but not many compared to other breeds.

University study stated that the main reason for dropping the dog off at the pound was "did not meet expectations"

I breed boxers,who can be hyperactive pains in the neck until they are mature, they also jump high buildings in a single bound, so containment can be an issue. The dump rate for the ones I breed is 0, because my buyers know exactly what the breed is like before the take their pup home. If they do not understand, no pup. No they have expectations, and the pups do meet their expections. Few fetch up in the pound, but I guess they are the ones which "did not meet expectations"

And what Crisover said.

Whippets! :thumbsup:

Never see them in pounds here, ive only ever rescued one badly bred one.

Popular, but not as popular i guess as more common breeds like Labs and Staffies. I find the people who are wanting a whippet have researched the breed thoroughly. They are not for everyone however. Its a certain "type" of people i find i get puppy enquiries from, rarely do i get someone enquiring who i would flat out not consider giving a puppy to.

Low maintainance, very sound in terms of health.

University study stated that the main reason for dropping the dog off at the pound was "did not meet expectations"

That makes me SO mad! Ella didn't meet expectations, wasn't what they said she was, didn't grow as big as expected and had energy levels about 5 times higher than expected. I just adapted. What is wrong with people that they can't adjust a little? Everything goes into the too hard basket at the first challenge. It really pisses me off. :) There is no such thing as an easy dog, they ALL need toilet training, they aren't born toilet trained and knowing all the house rules. It's not because of the type of dog that they end up in the pound, it's because of the lazy people who shouldn't have got a dog in the first place :rofl: , although it follows that the more energetic/challenging the dog, the more likely it is to be dumped. Sorry, ending rant now...

All those who breed more unusual/rare breeds are so lucky, because most of the people who ask after their pups will have done their research.

Guest bigdogg

thanks for the replies

education is obviously the answer - how does the pure world get the message through to joe public?

I guess education is the answer, but I really do not know how you get education across. :)

IMO no dog is easy care or difficult to care for. I've had a very broad spectrum of breeds, ages of ownership and different places of origin.

Unfortunately humans have strange expectations and this is not only with pets but children, partners, even belongings.

Now more than ever 'we' are not prepared to put in any time or energy into just about everything, inc. the list above.

We EXPECT it to just 'happen', we allow kids to be revolting and misbehave as 2, then wonder why we have a teenage monster (and I know monsters can occur anyway :) )

we neglect each other in relationships and wonder where it all went wrong, allow our cats to roam and grizzle when they get run over, lost etc. and treat our dogs badly (neglect) and dont' take any responsibilty for their actions.

When the novelty wears off the poor 'popular' breeds suffer the most.

Some breeds attract more responsible owners (this is a whole other topic) whilst Acds, BCs, crosses, staffies, swfs, appear to be the breeds that are attractive to many people (me included :D )

If I were to say one breed that I have personally had a lot of experience with that is easy care (for this post), I would say Irish Wokfhounds, because there is minimal grooming (just a quick brush), a quick run and they are ready to be couch potatoes, get on well with everything, no barking (as in nuisance, or indeed hardly any barkiing at all), loyal, gentle, stable, non destructive, etc etc.

The hardest part is that they have a short lifespan :) although we have had one of 14!! :)

I consider my spin easy care, but many people wouldn't :rofl:

A lot of people don't bother researching, as has been said before. Breeds seen as 'easy care' such a small dogs are usually victim of this - look how many jrt and foxie x are in the pound. People see a small dog and assume that it will be easy to look after, freak when the dog digs, barks, doesn't toilet train itself, gets bored and eats couches.

When i got Tucker, i did a lot of soul searching. He was an impulse buy from the pound, and i never saw myself owning a Jack or a cross. He was a little under two years old and INSANE! Ran everywhere, peed everywhere, his old owners hadn't bothered training him in the slightest and chucked him when they moved interstate. i adopted him because he was due to be put down that day and i'm a massive soft.

He has turned into an amazing little dog, and at six years old i can't imagine how i ever lived without him, and when he goes it will shatter me into a million pieces. But i considered myself quite aware of breeds - and i was shocked! He didn't even chew or anything. Hell, he even toilet trained himself. i was ready to buy another JRT when i went looking at the RSPCA - and came home with a frigging Pap x! Once again, i was not aware of what she would be like to care for - i knew she'd need a little grooming, which i was more than prepared for, but since she was seized from a puppy farm type situation, it's been a long road and she's wrought with health issues.

That's another thing - if a dog has a health issue, a lot of dog owners will dump and replace with a brand new unbroken animal, which i think is disgusting.

You see a lot of adolescents in the pound, too. Pet stores and byb are obviously not going to explain that your darling little kelpie x is going to be an absolute nightmare from 4mths - 2 years if not handled correctly. i was in a PP a few months ago (we used to scout the local petstores to see what type of dogs we'd possibly be grooming in the next few months) and heard a young girl tell a woman that the working dog mix she was about to buy was easy care and didn't need any exercise! WTF. :) How are you meant to fight against something like that? Let alone the chi crosses that end up growing into medium or large breed dogs (how is a first time owner meant to know to look at the size of paws?) or the Labrador that ends up growing into a mastiff x. i've also heard that Samoyed x Golden Retrievers don't shed (i couldn't control myself that time and was rudely asked to leave after correcting the girl in question :rofl:).