Which Car?

Tiggy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a Fairmont wagon and loved it. Couldn't find anything else with the room I needed and finished up with an X-Trail, absolutely brilliant on fuel (can get to & from Brisbane, round trip of 600 ks on $50 worth of fuel) and more room than the Fairmont. Can fit two large crates in the back with seats down and still have room for a show trolley, umbrellas, chairs etc. Also tows the five berth dog float very well although fuel consumption does increase noticeably, particularly uphill on the way home. Great to park, around town and on our rough roads in the boonies, won't be in a hurry to change models unless to uprade.

Just changed to a Volvo XC70 and loving it. The drive is so smooth and quiet and my former car sick, car phobic dog LOVES it. It fits the bill with room for 2 crates when required, plenty of room for a 2-3 med/large dogs without crates and not too high off the ground for jumping into - Bronte ain't the best jumper. God knows how she's going to go when she starts her agility career.

Oooh, also, its one of the few cars where the back seat fold down 100% flat - that was a big plus from my point of view. Not sure of your price range, but may be a bit pricey compared to some of the others mentioned here. Depends what you are after for you too, I like my luxuries.

For middle of the road dog people with 2-3 large dogs, the Honda CRV (model before the current one) is fantastic. Cheap on fuel, seats fold totally up and out of the way (creating barrier between back area and front seats). Roof racks can carry trolleys etc.

I loved my CRV

For completely extreme doggy people. The Nissan Navara STX with canopy is magic.

I can fit 5 dogs in the tray and 2-3 in the rear seat area. (GSD sized) The back seats fold totally out of the way creating a big flat floor. Also great for crates, tables, etc. The roof racks add even more space. It has massive towing power for floats and trailers.

I have a canopy on the back with full insulation, tinted windows and whirly birds. It is always cool in there, even on very hot Brisbane days. There are strong mounting points in the back (all adjustable) which are a dream for connecting leads or even tying horses to when parked (obviously with leads through the window) ha ha ha (had visions of horses crammed in back ha ha ha)

It does suck up the fuel - but that has to be expected.

You can load the tray with a forklift (when getting hay, pallets of dog food etc). (even with canopy on)

For the people side - it is nice inside, just like a car. Drives very easily and surprisingly easy to manouvre for such a big beast.

Colliehound

I had to get a new car in August after driving a Holden Vectra and owning a great dane I decided I needed to look at a bigger car. I settled on a Hyundai Tucson, smaller than the Sante Fe but has enough room for a dane is easy to clean (I went for city ellite model with leather seats) the seats fold down flat, back window opens without opening the door, great price and warranty. Since I have had it I have driven on country dirt roads and not had any problems, slept in the back llike a log it was so comfortable, my only problem and that comes with all cars is where is it safe to attach the car harness? I don't like it being on the floor becasue the strap can get caught in my dogs legs when she moves and also limits where she can lie in the back.

For completely extreme doggy people. The Nissan Navara STX with canopy is magic.

Hey Colliehound!! I'm dying for a Toyota Hilux (can't remember the series, but my step dad has one...)! :whisper: Exactly the same thing as the Nissian Nivara STX! :thumbsup:

Perfect for the dog/horse person, or even both! :party:

we were in the market for a new car just after we got our puppy, so decided to get a VZ commodore station wagon. Dual purpose good for the dog, we have the barricade so he can't jump onto the seats and plenty of room when kiddies come along. It looks pretty funny now though as we have the shades on the inside of the windows in the "boot" section for the dog........ so much cooler being about to crank up the airconditioning for him on a warmer day.

Heya

For those in WA - let me know if you need help buying a car - I work for AHG and can get quotes from all dealers (makes and models) and Im more than happy to ensure you are being looked after!

Personally I work in a Holden yard and the Commodore wagons are really good :eek: - We have some in stock and are more than happy to "test" with your crates, etc to ensure you are happy :eat: I know they are smaller than the older models, but they still hold a lot of stuff :eek: We have a new Captiva that has come out (4cyl, man and auto for approx $30g - same sort of size as an xtrail or tucson - Captiva 5) they are really good cars size wise :cheer: 5 seaters with flat folding seats :mad

Alternatively, I love the Suzuki Grand Vitaras personally - great to drive and my two standards fit in the back perfectly with loads of room, along with a car seat and a 7 year old :(

Let me know if anyone needs any measurements or info on any cars - Im actually a full bottle on cars, rather than dogs LOL :)

TJ

I am planning on getting a new car in the next few months. My little corolla hatch would be perfect if the seats folded flat, but unfortunately they don't.

So I am tossing up between a HiLux or a Navara, and am leaning more towards the Hilux at the moment. As far as I know (which is very little) diesel drink less than petrol, so am hoping to get diesel. Then I can put the boys in crates in the back, and no hair, muddy paws or doggy smell throughout the rest of the car :thumbsup: Not that I mind that, but guest don't seem to appreciate it :laughs:

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee............We never have the back seats up :thanks:. It has great anchoring points for the harnesses at the back for the three dogs. the back window( on the tailgate) opens up, when we are parked. this gives plenty of air ventilation, when the passenger windows are also open.

Our dogs ramp in and out.

We used to have a Nissan Navarre, with the dogs in the tray with a canopy, but it was too hot for them in Summer and you can't talk with them on long trips

My dream would be one of those VW low vans, you can fit a whole pallet in. The dogs would still have the aircon, but it is low and so much space.

I bought a VZ Commodore for the dogs. It was great until I had to tow a furniture trailer over to Adelaide and it was gutless. I have now boguht them a Pajero and it is definately better. The dogs really love it. It has heaps of room. It is a seven seater but we have taken one of the seats out of the back.

The Caddies are very popular with dog people. They are economical and have a huge back area for crates and gear. I do a lot of country driving and I also needed back seats so opted for the Hyundai Santa Fe. Love it!!! Particularly the rear window can be opened without having to open the tail gate. Very convenient for the dogs.

I didn't realise yours was a Santa Fe! I've got the Hyundai Tucson which also has the rear window functionality you desribe, which was a huge deciding factor in getting my car :thumbsup: I was going to keep it open for trials so Ruby can see out, but I find she doesn't relax because she's too much of a stickybeak, having to sit up and watch everything that's going on. So now I leave the whole thing open and now I find she lays down cos she can still see :laugh:

I have a Commador wagon... Not sure on model, but its fairly new, maybe 2007 or 2008. :thumbsup:

It easily fits my 3 Pointers in the back... I have the cage set up so no Pointers can jump onto the back seat, or give me kisses while driving. :laugh:

Same as us - it easily fits 2 greyhounds and Oscar is his crate in the back.