Whats The Oldest Sire Thats Been Used?

Whipitgood

Just wondering how old is "old" in terms of using a dog in its older years over a bitch. I am considering using a lovely boy but he is somewhat aged at 9 years. I realise that the the sperm count declines in numbers with age, but it only takes a few healthy ones to reach the very few eggs the bitch has produced. What are others experiences, good or bad?

How do you mean the dog is 'somewhat aged at 9 years'? Are you just refereing to his age or to his health, that he looks and behaves old?

All i mean is that he is not necessarily in his prime. he s a retired show dog who leads a quiet life at home on the sofa! He is healthy. I guess a 9 year old dog to me, when the average life span would be about 10-13, is "somewhat aged".

Good to know that this doesnt necessarily affect their fertility! :D

Thanks for your replies. :eek:

I know someone who has just their 'oldies' left from a toy breed they used to breed and exhibit - one male 15 & one bitch 14 years old - she had a suprise litter late last year !!! and she coped beautifully - the only one who wasn't happy was the dad as he was kicked out of their kennel overnight until they realised she'd had pups and then moved her inside to a whelping box :laugh: