Do You Think This Is Safe ?

mrs tornsocks

My water baby likes nothing more than pawing his full bucket of drinking water until it falls over. Problem obviously when I'm not here and this weather is so stinking hot.

I don't have any taps at the right height in the backyard, so I came up with the idea of putting the leg of the outdoor table (very very heavy) in the bucket of water. I have covered it with three plastic bags, but wondering if the metal or any material inside it might be dangerous and somehow seep into the water ? I figured since people put bricks in the bottom of water buckets, it might not be too bad.

Said water bucket and said water baby ....

Picture016.jpg

Edited by mrs tornsocks

What a wonderful solution. I guess it will depend on what the table leg is made of and if it contains lead? If not then I can't see an issue.

I use gal buckets clipped onto the fence for mine that dig in the water and give them a clam shell. I;ve found that they spend less time in their water buckets, if they have a pool to splash in.

ETA: I like the idea but I;m not a fan of plastic water containers, they are easily eaten on a day when the dog might get bored

Edited by SBT123

got it in one, persephone.

I posted, showered, got a coffee, returned to computer and kapow ! :thanks:

Back to the drawing board. I think a clam shell is the go for now -- he doesn't seem to do this with his metal bowl, but it's too small now to sustain him for any length of time, especially in this weather.

Your honour, exhibit A ...

waterbucket2FMedia20Card2FBlackBerr.jpg

I never worry here because I have lots of water gardens, big ceramic bowls with fish and plants in them, as well as 2 clam shells. Inside I do have a dogs water bowl but they often prefer the outside ones. How about buying a water garden bowl from a nursery, I'd like to see him manage to tip one of these over.

IMG_0952cst.jpg

IMG_0951cs.jpg

Our lab loves playing ('digging') in her water bowl even with a clam shell to paddle in. We bought a metal stand for food bowls (the sort where you can adjust the height) and a metal bucket (rounded edges so no sharp bits). We put the bucket in the stand and she's never managed to knock it over or damage the stand or the bucket. Best she can do is move it around a bit. :thanks:

She's 8 months, around 27kg.

got it in one, persephone.

I posted, showered, got a coffee, returned to computer and kapow ! :thanks:

Back to the drawing board. I think a clam shell is the go for now -- he doesn't seem to do this with his metal bowl, but it's too small now to sustain him for any length of time, especially in this weather.

Your honour, exhibit A ...

waterbucket2FMedia20Card2FBlackBerr.jpg

I have nothing constructive to add.

except,

:laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Love it.

I have newfs....newf and water ,well..............

We use tyres and find bowls that fit within these tyres. One of ours is a very large metal salad bowl (huge) and even the pup cannot tip it when it is inside the tyre. The other is a bucket inside a milk crate. the milk crate is square and seems to stop the bucket from tipping. we also have a small kidie pool for them to play with and cool down. This is when they are in their kennel run.

When our dogs are inside, they use our pottery fishbowl/ponds on the screened in verandah's. i think the water is cool and they love it

Mrs torn socks ,thanx for the :thanks: @ yr experiances,may be dd has just the thing for u :laugh: just read yr other thread .

Not having much luck r u :rofl: u can buy concorete water bowls ,but other alternative is as suggested in previous posts ...A gal bucket dug into ground & maybe cemented in !!!!or a large garden water feature type bowl .

good luck will be waiting with baited breath for updates :rofl:

Dont laugh...!!!!

I have two clam shells that are filled every day. I have two water buckets. One large stainless steel one and one small horse feed bin clipped over the fence..

When Brandy empties the clam shells, she starts on the water buckets.

At my old place I used to have small automatic water troughs permanently connected to a tap... I can just imagine if I have that set up here...

When I had my first Aussie Bulldog she would always be trying to play in the water bucket. We ended up buying a sheep trough, it was about 4ft long and can be easily emptied and cleaned, but she was never able to empty it herself. She ended up laying in it on hot weather days. So it had to be cleaned often :thanks:

The sheep trough was the best thing we ever did.

Bluefairy

The Boarding Kennel we use looses many a water container to visiting Labs :thanks: one even ripped off the auto water drinker from the wall and was happily bathing in a sloppy mess.

They have a swimming pool for doggies now , my dog loves it although you pay a fee I haven't got the heart not to let her use it as she'll try and swim in an inch of water :laugh:

Gal bucket filled and put inside a plastic milk crate. Milk crate clipped or wired to side of dog run (or similar solid object). Much more stable and difficult to tip over. Also easy to clean bucket and refill by lifting out.

I use these for the rescue dogs in their runs because ACD's can be water babies too.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02