My Unusual Visitors

Kirislin

I've got some visitors camping on my property for a while, they've walked all the way down from Gympie Qld, they left on July 20th 2009 and arrived in Healesville today Feb 15th 2010

Rob taking them to the camp spot to unload those heavy packs

4358735536_5e3a2682da_b.jpg

My little fatsiana Pagan wondering what the hell these weird creatures are.

4357977439_57bc60d9e0_b.jpg

4358720060_0f99dcfc50_b.jpg

I was told they're stinky but I've been patting them and I dont think they're smelly at all, I like their smell. does that make me strange. I had a ride too, but I wont be posting those photos. :laugh:

They look to be in great shape. Hope the unwell one picks up.

Did they come down the National Equestrian Trail?

Yep, it's not solely for horses, it is really called the Bicentennial National Trail and is designed for any form on non motorised transport, be that horses, mules/pack donkeys/ bicyles and sometimes, very occasionally, camels.

Pagan is being a star with the camels, she's such a cool horse. They've been telling me funny stories about meeting horses on the trail and they are both most impressed with how my girl has coped.

Thanks for these shots, they are the loveliest animals given the chance. In Kenya I knew a woman with a big camel herd, they were loose up in the bad-lands near the Somali border, but would come to her LandRover when she drove out there, and were like friendly ponies, in your pockets for treats and really sweet natures. She used them to give sort of "adventure ride" three-day camping trips. It's so good to see them here being appreciated and used well.

There are three or four that give camel rides at the Pet Expo at Caulfield. It was nice to see them back again at the weekend.

Yes hope the unwell one will be okay, will they get an exotics vet from Melbourne Zoo to have a look while they are close to them in Healesville, or do they do all their own vetting?

Isn't it way way cool to have camels around! How exotic...really hope that the unwell camel recovers. Pagan must be so impressed with camels! How sweet.

Yes I saw the camels around at the Pet Expo. I am so glad many children got to see such fantastic creatures....

Actually the travelling herd is really fascinating....I wonder if I will ever meet one in my lifetime!

I am glad you like seeing them. I've seen camels before from a distance and thought how odd they look, but spending time with these guys I am thoroughly smitten. First off, they dont stink as I've been led to believe in the past, and they are the most amazing animals. I find myself staring at them so much I nearly feel as if I need to apologise to them. Even their penises are odd, they point backwards and when they wee, it often goes down their legs, but there's a reason for it, it cools them off!!

this is Teewah and Black Jack, aren't they magnificent :thumbsup: Black Jack is about 7ft to the top of his hump, no exaggeration, he is massive.

4360626094_6edc3d39fb_b.jpg

These ones are all very gentle and two in particular are actually affectionate and love cuddles. Yesterday they went down to my dam and surprised me by laying down in it. They ate alot of the water fern I have in there, it seems they can eat just about anything. They love the wattle trees and the mistletoe growing on the eucalypts.

The off colour one, Wolf seems a bit better, he's listless and not eating much, although he is eating something. They are watching him carefully and will get our local vet who's treated alpacas before so should be OK with camels.

My human visitors took me out to dinner last night and we had a great time and tonight it's going to be a slow cooked lamb roast with rosemary and garlic cause I know how much I lusted after an old fashioned roast dinner when I was surviving on cuppa soups and coffee, when I was on the trail.

There's been a few people calling in to see them as word gets around.

I had a bit of a problem with Puck, the naughtiest of my whippets. The first day they arrived all the whippets were standing at the gate watching us all in the paddock but eventually it got too much for Pucky and he jumped the fence. He was like a wind up toy, whizzing round and round with us all trying to catch him. I eventually got him and had to tie him up. Then yesterday I hoped he had settled down so I let him off and he immediatly shot over the fence again and rushed over to the camel food and started gobbling it down. Bernadette managed to catch him but I knew I had a real problem so had to take drastic measures. I set up my electric fence this morning, just in the corner he jumps and I booby trapped it by sprinkling dry food around. It didn't take long before he let out a shriek and took off. Tag got a fright too although he didn't get zapped he knows that corner is BAD now. Poor Pucky is sulking now and I feel mean but I had to break him of the habit of jumping the fence.

The orange streamers are electrified too. :( Poor Pucky, but I'd be alot more upset if he made a habit of it and taught the others to do it too and they all got skittled on the road.

4363449067_a2afaa45a4_b.jpg

this was the day they arrived, Penny woofing at Wolf. You can see where Puck jumped through the fence, just on the right there, under the wooden top rail but over the wire, a bit of a gap. He's done it 4 times in his life now and it's been the same place every time.

4359897995_465f1cae84_b.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

Krisilin once you spend time with a camel you will understand why I love my 3 so much. Having the baby Holly and listening to her little love grunts warms my heart. Giving her kisses while she drinks her bottle are some of my favouritte times of the day.

post-23033-1266373338.jpg

Hi,

How are they coping with the colder weather in Yarra Valley today? I bet the Camels and riders are at least happy to be out of the humidity of Queensland and the storms yesterday.

We had a camel when we lived in Queensland but she ate EVERYTHING, was a real issue as she chewed the trees and shrubs, bark off the fence posts. I think maybe she was bored.

Kath

Krisilin once you spend time with a camel you will understand why I love my 3 so much. Having the baby Holly and listening to her little love grunts warms my heart. Giving her kisses while she drinks her bottle are some of my favouritte times of the day.

post-23033-1266373338.jpg

Where did you get your camels from? I could see myself with one here as a permanent addition after meeting these ones. I dont think I'd be riding it though, I was terrified on Black Jack, even where the riding saddle sits on his hindquarters it's still easily about 6'4'' high, that's equivalent to riding a 19hand high horse. :(

It's quite warm here today and they are coping well. 2 nights ago it was quite cool and Berandette put a blanket on Wolf the poorly one.

Edited by Kirislin