Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it didn't feel as cold as expected today, very little wind and the sun was out so we didn't bother with the coat.

Darcy scored her second Novice pass and a 2nd, she was a bit flat today compared to how she's been training. I'm wondering if she's picking up on my nerves, which are actually getting better - I managed to listen to ALL of the judges instructions today :laugh: or if I need to get her out and about to more places to practise. I know I'm very very short on ring practise which isn't helping. ;)

Edited by Jess.

Had a terrible time at training class today, before class ( and during) Mason was zooming on his lead and ended up running into my knee with his head b4 class even began - my knee is now a lovely shade of blue ;) Then during heelwork he was charging and trying to get me to go towards every other dog, I eventually went and sat under a tree while everyone else did heelwork as he was very disruptive. The rest of his work was ok but I cannot stand it when he acts so crazy :laugh::laugh: days like this I wonder why I should bother taking him to class.

Am very happy with both my boys after the obedience mock trial this morning.

As Ness said was Riv's first time in a UD ring and putting exercises together and he did a great job for a first attempt although did have some interesting moments like deciding to sit in the box on the finish for the gloves ;)

Zuma also had his first time in the ring for CCD and super happy with him as well.

They both need a bit more work and I know it's a massive jump from a mock trial to a real one but today was a great start especially since I've been doing a lot of training on my own but think it might be time to join a club now!

Rivsky - where's the video :laugh:

Well it didn't feel as cold as expected today, very little wind and the sun was out so we didn't bother with the coat.

Darcy scored her second Novice pass and a 2nd, she was a bit flat today compared to how she's been training. I'm wondering if she's picking up on my nerves, which are actually getting better - I managed to listen to ALL of the judges instructions today :laugh: or if I need to get her out and about to more places to practise. I know I'm very very short on ring practise which isn't helping. :laugh:

Well done Jess, to have a flat dog and to still pass and come second is not easy - only one more to go now ;)

Here is all the info I can find about the interstate challenge from the qld state trials website (http://www.qldstateobediencetrials.org). It only tells us how QLD is selecting their teams, I guess other states will need to contact their obedience commitees to find out how to get into a team.

Interstate Obedience Challenge

UPDATED 21/6/2010

ATTENTION QUEENSLAND OBEDIENCE HANDLERS

The Canine Control (Q) will host the inaugural Interstate Obedience Challenge to be conducted at the 2011 State & National Obedience Trial to be held at the Dog Showground, King Avenue, Durack on June 25th and 26th 2011.

The Qld State Trials Working Party has set the selection criteria for those wishing to be considered as members of the Queensland team.

Interested handlers should send the six (6) highest qualifying scores from their preferred class which have been achieved between January 2010 and December 2010 to Sandra Strong, 5 Ryan Ct, Burpengary 4505

RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF AN

INTERSTATE OBEDIENCE CHALLENGE

AT NATIONAL OBEDIENCE TRIALS

1) The competition will be a Teams event.

2) The current, at the time of the event, Rules for the Conduct of Obedience Trials are to be applied.

3) The Challenge will be conducted in three Classes. Those Classes are Utility Dog Excellent (UDX) Utility Dog (UD) and Companion Dog Excellent (CDX).

4) A State Representative Team may be entered in an individual Class or in the Classes as chosen. It is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each of the eligible Classes.

5) Each Team is to consist of three dogs or bitches with separate Handlers.

6) The same Teams and/or individual Dogs or Handlers cannot compete in more than one Class.

7) Placings will be allocated and identified by the aggregate of the points scored by the Dogs and Handlers in each Team. Highest Aggregate First Placing etc. Where the aggregate scores between teams are tied then the general Rules for count-back will be applied

8) As it is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each Class the State represented by the winning team (highest aggregate) will be that Class Challenge Winner,

9) All costs associated with participation in this proposed Interstate Obedience Challenge are the responsibility of the State being represented. There is no and can never be any expectation on the ANKC to meet any of the funding requirements associated with this National Obedience event.

Selection Criteria

1. Successful applicants must accept full responsibility for all expenses pertaining to their involvement in the Interstate Obedience Challenge.

2. Each State may specify selection criteria for their team.

3. The competition is open to CDX, UD and UDX classes. Three (3) dogs from each level will be selected.

4. Each State may challenge from one class to all three classes with three dogs in each class challenged.

5. All States will have the opportunity to host the Interstate Obedience Challenge event.

6. Handlers may only compete in one class and must exhibit the same dog throughout the competition.

7. Queensland applicants must submit their six (6) highest qualifying scores obtained between January 2010 and December 2010 to Mrs S Strong 5 Ryan Court, Burpengary Qld 4505.

Thanks for that Seita :rofl:

Here is all the info I can find about the interstate challenge from the qld state trials website (http://www.qldstateobediencetrials.org). It only tells us how QLD is selecting their teams, I guess other states will need to contact their obedience commitees to find out how to get into a team.
Interstate Obedience Challenge

UPDATED 21/6/2010

ATTENTION QUEENSLAND OBEDIENCE HANDLERS

The Canine Control (Q) will host the inaugural Interstate Obedience Challenge to be conducted at the 2011 State & National Obedience Trial to be held at the Dog Showground, King Avenue, Durack on June 25th and 26th 2011.

The Qld State Trials Working Party has set the selection criteria for those wishing to be considered as members of the Queensland team.

Interested handlers should send the six (6) highest qualifying scores from their preferred class which have been achieved between January 2010 and December 2010 to Sandra Strong, 5 Ryan Ct, Burpengary 4505

RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF AN

INTERSTATE OBEDIENCE CHALLENGE

AT NATIONAL OBEDIENCE TRIALS

1) The competition will be a Teams event.

2) The current, at the time of the event, Rules for the Conduct of Obedience Trials are to be applied.

3) The Challenge will be conducted in three Classes. Those Classes are Utility Dog Excellent (UDX) Utility Dog (UD) and Companion Dog Excellent (CDX).

4) A State Representative Team may be entered in an individual Class or in the Classes as chosen. It is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each of the eligible Classes.

5) Each Team is to consist of three dogs or bitches with separate Handlers.

6) The same Teams and/or individual Dogs or Handlers cannot compete in more than one Class.

7) Placings will be allocated and identified by the aggregate of the points scored by the Dogs and Handlers in each Team. Highest Aggregate First Placing etc. Where the aggregate scores between teams are tied then the general Rules for count-back will be applied

8) As it is not mandatory for a State to enter a Team in each Class the State represented by the winning team (highest aggregate) will be that Class Challenge Winner,

9) All costs associated with participation in this proposed Interstate Obedience Challenge are the responsibility of the State being represented. There is no and can never be any expectation on the ANKC to meet any of the funding requirements associated with this National Obedience event.

Selection Criteria

1. Successful applicants must accept full responsibility for all expenses pertaining to their involvement in the Interstate Obedience Challenge.

2. Each State may specify selection criteria for their team.

3. The competition is open to CDX, UD and UDX classes. Three (3) dogs from each level will be selected.

4. Each State may challenge from one class to all three classes with three dogs in each class challenged.

5. All States will have the opportunity to host the Interstate Obedience Challenge event.

6. Handlers may only compete in one class and must exhibit the same dog throughout the competition.

7. Queensland applicants must submit their six (6) highest qualifying scores obtained between January 2010 and December 2010 to Mrs S Strong 5 Ryan Court, Burpengary Qld 4505.

Rivsky!! Loving the videos!! :cheer: Wow look at your boys go! Zuma is doing soooooo well, love his speedy drops (must be a Toller thing :rainbowbridge:) and his first LAT was really beautiful! Lovely attention, too! Maybe my next dog needs to be a red kid :cheer: Ptolomy, are you taking names for Cider's litter yet? :):cheer:

Question for anybody who is interested in answering when do you make a decision that a problem might not be a training problem but a physical limitation and make a decision to retire the dog. My latest problem seems to have arisen in the past couple of weeks. Previously Ness has had no issue with doing her directed jumping but now she is making an all to regular habit of crashing the jumps. She isn't acting or moving like she is sore and after the other weekend when I ran her in agility quite happily and she kept all the bars up I am convinced its not soreness related. My suspicion is she is having trouble correctly judging the distance out of the box to the jump. Any body got any thoughts on this?

We have another trial this weekend but at our current success rate we aren't even getting past seekback so it might be a non-issue anyway.

Edited by ness

Question for anybody who is interested in answering when do you make a decision that a problem might not be a training problem but a physical limitation and make a decision to retire the dog. My latest problem seems to have arisen in the past couple of weeks. Previously Ness has had no issue with doing her directed jumping but now she is making an all to regular habit of crashing the jumps. She isn't acting or moving like she is sore and after the other weekend when I ran her in agility quite happily and she kept all the bars up I am convinced its not soreness related. My suspicion is she is having trouble correctly judging the distance out of the box to the jump. Any body got any thoughts on this?

We have another trial this weekend but at our current success rate we aren't even getting past seekback so it might be a non-issue anyway.

Is it a different time of day that you are running her? If it was night time is the lighting up to scratch? Perhaps she struggles to see well enough to judge heights in the dark or half-dark.

Thanks for the congrats guys - I'm pretty happy with how she's going even if she was a bit flat, given I didn't think I'd get her back into the obedience ring at all. :eek:

Lovely work with Zuma Rivsky :) Just awesome!!

Well done to everyone else's successes this past week as well :thumbsup:

Ness maybe try giving her more to look at on the jump - i.e. add an extra bar or two on the open jump or whatever you can think of on the solid. I've seen a very experienced dog struggle with a specific jump distance - stutter stepping badly and knocking the bar while having no issues with the others. Add an extra bar or two into the picture (so say a bar at 300 as well or even two crossed below the main bar) and he did it just fine. Left it for a bit and then took it away and he had it figured out. He just needed some help on that distance for whatever reason.