Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I trained Sophie out the front today - hope the neighbors weren't watching :mad . Her heel work deserves a big :rofl: I think it's pretty special :rofl: . It was great distraction training out the front because before we started she was looking for kitty cats but once she was working I had her total focus so I'm pretty wrapped with her :rofl: . Poor Banjo wasn't happy she got to train and he didn't but he's limping so no playing for him I said. I might even video Sophie but no promises :rofl: .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey!!! I thought you wanted an Aussie!!! (They have Toller bits you know :rofl: )

Rivsky!! Loving the videos!! :mad Wow look at your boys go! Zuma is doing soooooo well, love his speedy drops (must be a Toller thing :rofl:) and his first LAT was really beautiful! Lovely attention, too! Maybe my next dog needs to be a red kid :rofl: Ptolomy, are you taking names for Cider's litter yet? :mad:rofl:

Interesting kathq she is running fine obedience and agility under lights and agility during the day but the two times she has badly misjudged the jumps have both been daytime trials. I honestly thought after the first trial it might be the end of her trialling days but then she came out and handled the agility fine the following weekend so obviously she can judge jumps enough just isn't coping with them when it comes to obedience.

Yep! I retired my Kelpie when she was fit and sound but was misjudging the jumps. Her eyesight was deteriorating and it was a shame as she was great in every other way. She had a long and wonderful retirement though and I never regretted retiring her when I did. My BC Jasper was also retired fairly early (9 yrs) due to intermittent lameness. He is also living a very happy and healthy retirement.

Question for anybody who is interested in answering when do you make a decision that a problem might not be a training problem but a physical limitation and make a decision to retire the dog. My latest problem seems to have arisen in the past couple of weeks. Previously Ness has had no issue with doing her directed jumping but now she is making an all to regular habit of crashing the jumps. She isn't acting or moving like she is sore and after the other weekend when I ran her in agility quite happily and she kept all the bars up I am convinced its not soreness related. My suspicion is she is having trouble correctly judging the distance out of the box to the jump. Any body got any thoughts on this?

We have another trial this weekend but at our current success rate we aren't even getting past seekback so it might be a non-issue anyway.

Sprung! :laugh: If Aussies were a gundog, I'd have one in a heartbeat!! I have many years yet to decide on my next kiddie. If Brooklyn knocks up some fine young lady who has merle puppies then Aussies are still on the top of my list! :(

Hey!!! I thought you wanted an Aussie!!! (They have Toller bits you know :) )
Rivsky!! Loving the videos!! ;) Wow look at your boys go! Zuma is doing soooooo well, love his speedy drops (must be a Toller thing :love:) and his first LAT was really beautiful! Lovely attention, too! Maybe my next dog needs to be a red kid :) Ptolomy, are you taking names for Cider's litter yet? :cheer: :D

I trained Sophie out the front today - hope the neighbors weren't watching :laugh: . Her heel work deserves a big :love: I think it's pretty special ;) . It was great distraction training out the front because before we started she was looking for kitty cats but once she was working I had her total focus so I'm pretty wrapped with her :) . Poor Banjo wasn't happy she got to train and he didn't but he's limping so no playing for him I said. I might even video Sophie but no promises :( .

Can't wait for the video! I've seen Sophie heel, she is very good! It would be a shame to give obedience away :D

I trained Sophie out the front today - hope the neighbors weren't watching :( . Her heel work deserves a big :love: I think it's pretty special :) . It was great distraction training out the front because before we started she was looking for kitty cats but once she was working I had her total focus so I'm pretty wrapped with her :laugh: . Poor Banjo wasn't happy she got to train and he didn't but he's limping so no playing for him I said. I might even video Sophie but no promises :D .

Can't wait for the video! I've seen Sophie heel, she is very good! It would be a shame to give obedience away ;)

Thanks RS :cheer: . I do love obedience, probably more than agility :) , I'll keep at it plodding along at my own pace :) . I wish I could train with you guys at Canine , maybe I should make the hike I think it would be worth it, that's if you don't mind me joining you ;) .

Was just wondering if any of you take a break in training your dogs? I am finding that we have hit a spot where we are both frustrating one another and I was thinking of maybe taking a week or so's break from training and then getting back into it?

Was just wondering if any of you take a break in training your dogs? I am finding that we have hit a spot where we are both frustrating one another and I was thinking of maybe taking a week or so's break from training and then getting back into it?

Yep - though usually I would just leave that particular exercise for a little while and train other things. I find when you come back to it everything seems to fall into place.

I give them a break over summer though - they get a month or two off.

Yep breaks are good - you'll find you're real motivated to get back into it after a break.

Yep mine gets breaks - last week the big kids had the week off - they trialled last Sunday - they had runs at the oval all week but no obedience whatsoever, all except Cider :) .

Have you tried teaching something new to break the rutt? Change of position, dumbbell, sit in the box, some work over one jump, walking backwards circles on the spot in both directions, spins, leg weaving, the start of 2 x 2 weavers - so running between 2 poles, figure 8 work.....

I have to say training with somebody else really helps with motivation :D

Yep mine gets breaks - last week the big kids had the week off - they trialled last Sunday - they had runs at the oval all week but no obedience whatsoever, all except Cider :) .

Have you tried teaching something new to break the rutt? Change of position, dumbbell, sit in the box, some work over one jump, walking backwards circles on the spot in both directions, spins, leg weaving, the start of 2 x 2 weavers - so running between 2 poles, figure 8 work.....

Pick me pick me :):)

Hey different topic does Sue H only compete in agility now?

Yeah I taught him some new stuff last week, his stays are really starting to tick me off though, I did not do stays with him for about 4 days b4 class as he was doing them well and i did not want to bore him by repeating them etc, then in class on sunday he lay down in the sit stay again, plus he zoomed onlead for most of the class, he was like a kid on sweets! We are going to start agility next week and I am sure he is going to enjoy that as its all new stuff for him.

Agree about the training with somebody else helping motivation. Also great for helping with distraction type stuff too :D .

Yeah I would love to have someone to train with but I stay too far from most people.

obedience comp techniques, strategies or rules?

Figure eight - when you enter does it matter if you go around the left or the right person first? I was told, go around the person that takes your dog on the inside of you with you on the outside. Is this a rule or just a strategy? I imagine if your dog is a bit nervous of new people or too friendly it might work better if you go the other way.

And when you go out, do you go on whatever trajectory you're on or does it always need to be at right angles to the line made by the people/cones defining the figure 8

Also when you do a recall, when do you "return to your dog" ie the dog sits still while you walk around the dog to get back to the heel position, and when do you ask the dog to "finish" ie it returns to the heel position while you stand still. I think each method would result in you facing the opposite direction so it might matter to a judge who doesn't want to crash you into the boundary.

Also about straight lines, Huski, the only way I can get them is to aim for some fixed point in the distance eg line up a light pole and a tree (basic boating navigation technique), but then you can't watch your dog. When I was doing "grade 5", the class before we start ccd classes, I used to leave a bag or a long line at my starting point and aim for that and have arguments with the person next to me who wasn't aiming for anything and travelled into me.

It's a good idea to enter the figure 8 to the left(dog on the inside) to keep them close but there's no rule which way to enter. I think when you leave the figure 8 you just keep walking on the path you were on as the Judge will ask you to lead out as you're walking straight across the figure 8.