Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Hmmm weird is when you actually send the dog from the startpeg because you end up heeling down to the bottom of the ring and then back up again. All the SA judges will heel you somewhere down to the end of the ring and then send the dog.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also noticed different techqies for some of the about turns. There's one where the handler turns in the opposite direction to the dog and passes the lead behind their back, which even when I play back in slo mo, I can't wrap my head around. I find it easier to do left about turn and encourage dog to move her butt around.

I used to do them behind my back but now I do U-turns & flip finishes as I don't want my dog going behind my back at all (in agility it's a blind cross). It's taken a bit of work but the Novice judge on the weekend commented at presentations that she could tell Darcy did agility just by how well she moved her rear end.

Recall - follow the judges commands and you wont go wrong. Another place you can be pinged is when the judge tells you to leave your dog and when you are around 10 to 12 meters away, command you to about turn, and halt. When you about turn don't assume that all judges will immediately halt you. Continue walking back until you hear halt. On the other hand if you hear 'about turn and halt' you must halt immediately! Same goes for change of position and stand for examination.

Ring craft can be so important and is really worth more attention than a lot of triallers give it.

Got done for the halting too early on the change of position in my second Novice run. Copped a lecture from the judge too :laugh: Interesting to read info on the ring craft side of it, I know it's my biggest downfall in the ring. Most of my judges so far have been awesome in giving feedback, this past weekend was the first time I've had a judge not give any feedback.

Never seen Clive judge UD before, he does really nice agility courses though :eek:

I really want to find out if he does one of those "weird" seekback patterns that some of the Victorian judges are known for.

Clive Makepeice is a lovely judge who does both the forward and reverse seek backs and he can use the whole ring for his seek back.

I have been Clive's UD ring many times over the years and have found him to be firm but a fair judge.

Hmmm weird is when you actually send the dog from the startpeg because you end up heeling down to the bottom of the ring and then back up again. All the SA judges will heel you somewhere down to the end of the ring and then send the dog.

But then isn't the idea of a seek back for the dog to find the article no matter where it is placed in the ring? I would hate it if we only ever did a reverse seekback (which where you send the dog back down towards the starting post) cause my dog wouldn't even bother to use his nose as he'd know where to look for it

Even though we have both the forward and reverse seekback I still did alot of practise in the dark to make him use his nose

Also when you send your dog for the seekback, what is the general consensus of how you do it?

Do a) point down the ring

b) point to the track

c) touch the ground to send the dog?

Anything else curly I should know about him kallistar :heart: .

Clive also will take misbehavior points off you if your dog barks during excessively during an exercise (which is what my boy does on his Fave exercises) but apart from those things enjoy having Clive as your judge.

I also could say that in UD here we don't have all positions, in all the paces ( eg fast pace, foward, down your dog, still in fast pace forward) when we do signal work like you do in S.A.

And I did enjoy being under Dave Rumble when he was here at Warrnambool's trial judging UDX.

about the recall, about turn and halts and stays

one of our instructors is classic for do as I say, not as you think I say...

So she will say leave your dog, forward, halt - and not say "about turn" so we're practicing the stay with our backs to our dogs. I can hear when mine breaks - her collar jingles, but the instructor also tells us. It does seem like good practice, depending what dog does when it breaks. Mine used to nick off and greet everybody at dog club just out of grab range. Not good. Bit of TOT seems to be sorting that.

The instructor also gets us to walk back to and then past our dog in stay and then loop back.

Last time I trained (yesterday was flooded out), I couldn't hear most of her turn calls, so I'd be heading across the paddocks and she hadn't noticed... Or sometimes she'd do a routine and I wouldn't hear "exercise complete" or you can stop now, and again - I'd be headed to the creek or football oval or doing the heel work instructions she gave the next team. Oops.

You MUST NOT point down the ring or touch the ground. You may point to the track which will be directly in front of you. You can lose points to a fail if you point to the article unless it is in front of you.

But then isn't the idea of a seek back for the dog to find the article no matter where it is placed in the ring? I would hate it if we only ever did a reverse seekback (which where you send the dog back down towards the starting post) cause my dog wouldn't even bother to use his nose as he'd know where to look for it

Even though we have both the forward and reverse seekback I still did alot of practise in the dark to make him use his nose

Also when you send your dog for the seekback, what is the general consensus of how you do it?

Do a) point down the ring

b) point to the track

c) touch the ground to send the dog?

I had Clive the other day for my trial run through. Only CCD though. He was nice. Didn't do anything out of the usual or want anything strange. I can ask tonight if there is anything he is particular about.

My club is cancelling obedience classes due to lack of interest and instructors :cry: . The agility has a big turnout but the obedience class was only 5 or less people. I can still go and obedience train on my own though but it's nice to train with other people sometimes.

Well I headed out to the this afternoon to a local park complete with my UD gear to set about my resolving my DJ issue. I think we have found the exercise again so fingers crossed Ness can do it on the weekend (if we get that far :D ).

ETA. Maybe that should read WHEN we get that far not IF we get that far. And just for good measure we did a set of articles tonight and she appears to have remembered those as well :cry: .

Edited by ness

Nawww look at her go!! You know what I love about hers (and the other red kids) heeling? The way their head is stretched so far up to look at you, that it's a flat line from their chin right down to their feet :) Very nice!!! :mad

I should do some serious duration work, I always seem to call them off and reward them too soon to catch them before they look away, which isn't doing me any favours for upping that duration. I'll have to set the video camera up I think so I can see from a different perspective how well they are paying attention...

Anyone got trials coming up?

I haven't been doing much training with my two lately. Soaks is out because of her pad injury though I will be able to start doing some gentle stuff like scent in a week. And Jedi is having a little break while we're on holidays.

Abby the kelpie is doing really well though. Shes here with us in Melbourne and so I've had daily access to her!! Her SFE is alllllmost there!! Horrah!!!