Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick question :)

For the Seekback and SD exercises in UD, do you use 2 different commands to distinguish between the both? Or do you use the same command but let the visual of the stewards putting out the SD articles be enough to let the dog know the difference between the both?

Made the mistake of putting the SD articles out yesterday prior to getting Ruby out. When I sent her to "find", she raced off thinking it was another seekback exercise because I use "find" for both. I often throw the seekback article out somewhere and then get Ruby out and ask her to go find without any heeling, so no wonder she was confused. So I'm just wondering what other people do? Thanks :)

P.S. Having an absolute ball playing in UD - both me and the dog :D

Edited by RubyStar

I use "fetch" for one and "find" for the other.

Visual cue is a biggie though - you often see novice UD dogs who have been rewarded heavilty for seekback line up for the box and when sent to the box head off looking for their seekback. Hence the wheres the box game you have been playing ;)

Edited by Ptolomy

I played that game on Monday night and I stood facing away from the box and was right near a ring rope. Ruby jumped over the rope, got distracted by a moth and started bounding after it, then ran back in the ring and found the box laugh.gif All without second cue from me laugh.gif

My worry with the seekback is having Ruby decide she might just go greet everyone instead if she can't find it right away! eek1.gifembarrass.gif

My worry with the seekback is having Ruby decide she might just go greet everyone instead if she can't find it right away! eek1.gifembarrass.gif

We will start putting some distractions out soon ;)

Yay :D

We did a signals heelwork over and around a bunch of toys on the ground yesterday :) And had the same group of toys out for the food pots thumbsup1.gif Was a struggle with the toys with scent, though :o

Yes, I think both Ruby and I are enjoying things at the moment. Makes all the difference when the dog tells you she is having fun :)

Millie on the other hand, she has been a little switched off lately. Instead of stressing, I am going to concentrate more training on the one who wants it right now, and going back to playing games with Millie to engage her and ask for little things to get her interest back. I'm not sure what's going on with her but she is normal all the other times so I am not worried it's her health at this stage. Might use this time to teach her to tug and get her interest up in a variety of toys, not just the i-squeak :) Definitely is a bit strange with Millie, as she's my psycho "I want to train!" one. Me thinks Ruby stole her mojo while she was sleeping ;)

Might want to add plastic wrappers to that mix of distractions - naughty me just went to the park to do a couple of UDX sendaways. Hmmm first couple were absolutely brilliant even when a white sammie decided to race along the fence didn't distract Kenz. But as I always do I then asked for another one and she found a bit of plastic sandwich wrapper and went and sat on that instead of her "mat". Who would have thought LOL.

I have been so slack leading up to this trial! I really cannot just get of my butt and do a bit of training. Im about to go do some in the backyard and we have our 'hardcore' training tomorrow before work. I call it hardcore because its just an hour of intensive training to whip my signals and footwork into line :laugh:

I so want this title but seriously am so lazy this week!!

RS I use "find" for SB, "bring" for SD and "fetch" for DB and gloves. Fetch means go where I send you and bring back what you find there! Hoping it helps in UDX.

Sounds like you are going gangbusters Well done!!!

Oh no MG!! Hope Mas pulls out something special for you! I have no excuse! Ive just found it hard to balance my own fitness stuff and my dog stuff! Its something Im learning lol

Our session was ok, tomorrow should nip the last few bits in the bud. Our sessions recently have been offlead so it was good to put a lead back on and sense no difference!

SLLH I wouldn't stress to much - I have had to have Kenz rested more then I care to think about and she hasn't had as much training time as I would really have liked yet in the end she would still come out and work a nice round. If you have a dog with a tendency to become bored easily or switch off then it can actually work to your advantage to back off the training before a trial so they are at there most "driven" come trial day.

Edited by ness

Thats what Ive noticed yesterday he was so keen to work and was loving it! So Im going to cut this morning sessions short to keep that enthusiasm!

Now mental issue! :rofl: I cannot remember what you can and cant say in the ring! Its only been 3 weeks sheesh!! I know you can say drop,stand, stay, wait etc etc Can you say heel? I cannot remember ever doing so! But then again Im not sure. I am so ridiculous!! :rofl:

Thats what Ive noticed yesterday he was so keen to work and was loving it! So Im going to cut this morning sessions short to keep that enthusiasm!

Now mental issue! :rofl: I cannot remember what you can and cant say in the ring! Its only been 3 weeks sheesh!! I know you can say drop,stand, stay, wait etc etc Can you say heel? I cannot remember ever doing so! But then again Im not sure. I am so ridiculous!! :rofl:

Yup i say heel

Long weekend here, yippee! It's going to be a good one. Even though I'm spending today in the garden (not admiring, working in it!) I have an obedience and agility trial on Sat/Sun. Stewarding obedience on Sat instead of entering for a change, in the UD ring so I can get a closer look at how things go in the ring before taking the plunge myself :eek: Then Sunday is an agility and games trial. Yay! Love a good doggy weekend spent with doggy friends :D