Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use wait and stay and I have a release word. Seems it has turned into yes for obedience and okay for home - not that I planned to train one for home but apparently I say okay just as I am about to go outside to train, go for a walk go somewhere. There okay is followed by scrabbling of paws on tiles and bumping through the dinning chairs to get out the door first!

So does everybody have a release word then?

Definitely. Yes marks the correct behaviour, Okay and Alright are release work is done words.

This is what I do for Lottie as well :)

My "stay" and "wait" have gradually melded into one because I am a crap handler. But Ava seems to understand so I don't worry too much about it anymore. Body language matters more to her than words.

And again, the same - I say 'stay' before DB, Recall etc, and also for the stays, so she seems to understand what I mean.....

Some good news - Lotties leg is finally healed, so we can get back to training :D She's really craving some training, and after about a month of doing NONE, it'll be nice to get back into it!!!

Stays- How do you train your stays? For me stay means STAY. When training I say stay and that means you stay put, I dont care if the dog next to you is moving, there is food in front of you. Im calling your name, making a song and dance, stepping over you, throwing a toy or there are kids calling your name you STAY! :laugh: He is pretty solid on his stays.

Recalls I always use the word wait- It means wait because there may be something coming and you will have to move. Ie- recall, change of position those sorts of excersizes will always have a wait command.

If I confuse the words and try to call him for a recall after saying stay he sits there looking confused and doesnt move.

Im loving the night time trialling too! I get my whole day to do my own thing then can go to the trial at night. This Saturday nights one is a local one :cheer::champagne: Means I can go to work in the morning, get my hair done after work and still rock up on time for the trial! Just going in for fun tomorrow night and boy I am excited!

Ooops, I suppose I should have said recall (still getting used to the terms). I have actually only been using wait so far, havn't started with stay yet, want to try and train it really well! :D

Well done SLLH!

Trialled my girls last night in Open and Ruby got a lovely 27/30 in heelwork. Very proud of that as she likes to take off to greet stewards mid heelwork :laugh: Either that or lags when its hot. She did some nice ringwork and was sitting on a pass until she dropped in the sit stay! Grrrr! :p

Rubystar I think stays are on the agenda for training this week. Especially after Soggy dropped during the sit stay, Strauss got up and then layed down again in the down stay and then we have the Occasionally Clever one who must have thought he was on a stay so didn't move when I sent him for his seekback.

Thanks to Bedazzled for taking Beans into open stays for me. Have to laugh when the pass around dog, handled by the stand in handler, is the only one to pass. Well done Bedazzled wink.gif

Well another day at school over. Sasha was awful at everything except for her recall ( she was BRILLIANT) and if she was being marked I reackon she would have gotten full marks LOL and her sit stay and down stays were also brillant especially as the teacher was adding distractions for the dogs ( i.e. toys and balls) and seeing as Sasha LOVES these I wasn't sure if she would stay. She definately showed interest when the ball rolled passed her but she stayed in position ( I was soo proud). Such a little thing but still a big thing for us.

Also was told to practice targeting an object. So we practiced at home today with just the lid of a chinese container and she was getting the hang of it. YAY. Not sure if I will do the exam to pass transition yet though. Every time we go to class it's like the teacher picks on us in a way and we just stuff everything up. I think I must be intimidated or something. Or maybe it's just her way but Sasha can do it outside of class ( we practice everyday twice a day) and then every Sunday in class its like (fail, epic fail). I don't know my left from my right turns, my right about turns to my left turns, and her heeling is all over the shop when we do the figure 8. :-(.

Oh well will just keep practicing. She still creeps forward in the position changes, despite me practicing on a step. I think she just doesn't like me being so far away from her ( 3 metres).

Meh if we fail transition class this time we will just repeat it next year but it would be awesome for her to show the teacher that we aren't stupid and that we can do all these exercises

Rubystar where are you - you have a story to tell after last night thumbsup1.gif

Last night we had a mock practical UD judges exam for our mate Bedazzled. This was Rubys first go at a full UD round and what a star she was thumbsup1.gif Lovely to see hard work paying off.

and just because.... first dog into the ring, Caffy's Alex passed and little Miss Beans would have passed her first UD (little witch) - so hurry up and get your judging license Bedazzled wink.gif