Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

WA I would use barriers of varying types and work on building up muscle memory that says drop straight.

With relation to teaching fronts I will often set the dog in a sit and then move myself into the correct position. You can work on fronts by taking a step back and having the dog hold front position. The other thing that I find helps to bring them in nice and close is to teach them to run between your legs. You can do this by throwing a treat or toy through as they are coming in and having the dog chase it.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For open, if Mason drops skew n the changes of position exercise will he lose a point??

Yes he will eek1.gif Because you can't give him a perfect score when there are dogs who will drop like they have been shot and perfectly straight. Something to aim and work towards.

Its funny - you learn with your subsequent dogs to train everything well the first time - where your first dog you are always retraining and fixing problems. I lost count the number of times I had to retrain Lara.

Yes mason is the poor guinea pig. He drops straighf if he is next to me but not if im in front of him. Gibbs has great potential in obedience he taught himself to heel and at 7,5 months heels 90x better than mason. Very disappointed that even if i get him thru CCD and novice he will never be able to do open due to the jumps :( oh well maybe i will get a 3rd dog to carry on competing with :)

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to do for a particular thing. I'm having trouble getting Barney to stay in position when I do sit/stays and then walk around him back to where I'm meant to be. I don't know the name of it.

I can get just about behind him but then he jumps up turns around and sits either in position again or in front of me...

I do clicker/marker word with him so should I just be walking to where he won't move click/treat and then slowly work my way around or is there a better way?

Dognerd (nice name wink.gif) I would be breaking it down. Not sure if Barney knows the steady feet game where you can bring food to him from any angle and he isn't to move - I would be first of all playing this game. Incorporated into this game is making sure that your body position can be anywhere - once again bringing food towards his mouth - if he stays put then he gets it - if he moves then the food goes away.

From here I start to return to him, but I vary where I am clicking and treating - sometimes its as I go past the left side of the dogs body, sometimes as I am at the back of them, sometimes its as I am about to get back into heel position and other times its once I have fully returned. Again if they move - its too bad so sad try again.

It really is worth spending the time on this and getting it right because even my occasionally clever dog has a blonde moment (last weekend) and gets it wrong, and its so easy to fix.

Good luck thumbsup1.gif

It makes sense to do that first, also sounds like a game barn would like :laugh: Thanks Ptolomy :).

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it okay if his head moves to where I'm going? Like turns his head to watch when I move or when I go to hand him a treat from the side?

Yep its fine if his head moves - but you may find that the head moves causing the feet to move - if the feet move the food goes away. The dogs usually catch on really fast. Make it easy to start - so start right in front and close and slowly bring the food towards the dogs mouth - if they jump up to get it or move - food goes away and you stand them again and go through the same process.

Then you can start bringing the food in from the side, up high and down low. If you are game you can work up to dropping the food on the ground in front of the dog, but you have to be quick enough to stick your foot on it if the dog moves. wink.gif

My OH got constructive & made a heap of these, I did take part in helping, after I belted a finger with the hammer :eek: & then tried to edge cut my thumb :eek:

We have these to sell Scent Discrimination as a fullset (leather, wood & metal) or individual sets :)

Full Set $ 30.00 (wood, leather, with plain metal)

Full Set ( wood, Leather & Knurled Metal) $ 50.00

5 No. Wood Set $ 12.00

5 No. Leather Set $ 12.00

5 Metal $ 12.00

5 Knurled $ 32.00

Seekback articles are made of Leather & are embossed with the word "seek" $ 7.00

All articles are made to ANKC rules standard

P&H 7.00 Aus wide

Here is the Seekback

IMG_0308.jpg

Knurled metal

IMG_0307.jpg

Scent Discrimination Set

IMG_0306.jpg

Edited by murve

What's the advantage of having knurled metal articles? Are they less 'harsh' so dogs more willing to accept them?

Murve - whats the thickness of the seekback article?

Going to give a few obedience trials seeing as I can't do any agility/flyball for awhile (Jovi is nearly in season and we wait 2 months afterwards to get back into training :D)

Well after a terrific training run yesterday morning I have been convinced by my training partner/boss to send off my first ever tracking entry. Have done it now so too late to change my mind.

Good luck kathq! Just wondering what you are training for the indication? A pause, position or retrieve? Its something I would be concerned about potential confusion in UD / UDX. I did see a lot of dogs who had done tracking indicate the correct scent article in UD but failed to retrieve it or looked very confused. Probably unclear training but still....

Good luck kathq! Just wondering what you are training for the indication? A pause, position or retrieve? Its something I would be concerned about potential confusion in UD / UDX. I did see a lot of dogs who had done tracking indicate the correct scent article in UD but failed to retrieve it or looked very confused. Probably unclear training but still....

Cheating here - she picks up the article and brings it to me, occasionally she may throw it at me if she is in a hurry but mostly its a return to hand. :laugh: Not something the judge can actually miss either.

Why is that cheating kath? That's what I would like to train although I guess it wouldn't be good practice for Police type tracking ;)

It's cheating cause I didn't train it it's just what she did from the first go. :) gotta love the pocket rocket!