Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I sometimes put a tug in the back of my pants too, but after one go with it Elsie turns it into a horrible dribbly mess blech!

I often use a pocket tug and stick it in the back of my pants if I'm not wearing my training vest and it does make my pants all slobbery and gross, but I have learnt to overcome the gross factor :laugh: However lately I have been throwing the tug on the ground and releasing her to get it, it does save my pants from going yuck!

Edited by huski

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh:

:rofl: DD - don't know how your scoring system works over there - but here it's a minor deduction - so about 0-4 points off - assuming the dog - a) doesn't drop the DB, and b) bounces off you and back into a sit :laugh:

Don't know if huski has already told you, but you can read about the magnetic reward system here.

I haven't tried it personally - if I'm using anything other than food, I have a small tuggy, or a ball on a rope that I can stick in a pocket , or tuck into the back of my pants/trousers.

Good point, I think it would be the same here, a minor deduction as long as she does sit without an extra command :)

We need to pass with at least 90% of points in all exercises to get the CDX (recall to heel, drop on recall, heel off lead, temperament test, retrieve, scent discrimination, sit stay 1 minute, stand stay 1 minute, down stay 5 minutes handler out of sight)

I sometimes put a tug in the back of my pants too, but after one go with it Elsie turns it into a horrible dribbly mess blech!

Boo about the terracotta bowl!!

Yep - my tug gets a bit slobbery too - but it's all part of the fun!! And it can't be worse than sardines in the pocket a la Ptolomy :laugh:

Gosh, that's a tough ask for your CDX. We only have to get at least 170/200, with at least 50% one each of the individual exercises - and you can only afford very minor movement on the group stays. Our CDX stays are 3 minute sit (handler out of sight) and 5 minute down (handler out of sight) .... hate the 3 minute sit - BCs so like to drop - they can't see the point in sitting :laugh: . We don't get scent discrim until UD - next class up.

Haha maybe I need to toughen up! Her tug was so soggy last night at agility (mix of saliva and dew) that I could wring water out of it :eek:

Yep - my tug gets a bit slobbery too - but it's all part of the fun!! And it can't be worse than sardines in the pocket a la Ptolomy :laugh:

Gosh, that's a tough ask for your CDX. We only have to get at least 170/200, with at least 50% one each of the individual exercises - and you can only afford very minor movement on the group stays. Our CDX stays are 3 minute sit (handler out of sight) and 5 minute down (handler out of sight) .... hate the 3 minute sit - BCs so like to drop - they can't see the point in sitting :laugh: . We don't get scent discrim until UD - next class up.

Ewwwwww! I did find some mouldy what I assume was once mince in my pocket the other day, good look for a vegetarian eh :thumbsup:

We don't like the sit-stays either, but it's not toooooooo long for Elsie, should stay up! Funny that she stand stays better than she sit stays.

Our UD classes are pretty different, ANKC is more like AKC while NZKC is more like KC... Our UD is part of working trials, not obedience. So we go CD > UD > WD > TD... UD/WD/TD all have tracking, while CD/UD/WD all have a different scent exercise... UD & WD have jump and obedience sections, TD is just 3 tracks.

In NZ once your dog earns 1 CDX, 2 UDX, 2 WDX and 2 TDX they earn the title WTCh (working trials champion) :)

:laugh: about the mouldy stuff.

Oh thanks for that info - It's interesting how Oz decided to model more or less on AKC. And our Rally rules are based on the Canadian ones.

Way back - 15 year or so, you had to have a CD before you could start doing tracking - which made no sense, since tracking is on harness and lead :eek: , Now all our disciplines are separate.

:laugh: about the mouldy stuff.

Oh thanks for that info - It's interesting how Oz decided to model more or less on AKC. And our Rally rules are based on the Canadian ones.

Way back - 15 year or so, you had to have a CD before you could start doing tracking - which made no sense, since tracking is on harness and lead :eek: , Now all our disciplines are separate.

Yeah it is quite interesting! I think NZKC/KC agility are more similar, while ANKC is more like AKC too :)

In NZ you used to need a CD before starting agility :laugh:

You also did need a CD before starting UD, but now you can work in whatever order you like. I know of quite a few dogs that have otherwise finished their WTCh but have not got the CDX yet! Would be so awful! A couple due to failing the temperament test over and over, and a couple due to sloppy heeling (working trials heeling is not at ALL strict!)

What does the temperament test involve? And had to laugh about the heeling requirements - I didn't know that :) .

Oh you would laugh if you saw a trial, some of it is pretty appalling! But as long as the dog is moving with the handler, the style of it doesn't matter too much, the important thing is that they are moving with the handler. A bit like field trials I think?? Some of the WT dogs are already OBCH so have really amazing heel work! Quite the mixed bag at a trial! :)

Temperament test... just stand and stay while handler walks a couple of metres away, then the judge will approach the dog and do an examination similar to what would be performed on a breed show dog. They must not shy away, growl, jump on judge etc. if they fail the temperament test they aren't allowed to do the rest of the CD test.

Temperament test... just stand and stay while handler walks a couple of metres away, then the judge will approach the dog and do an examination similar to what would be performed on a breed show dog. They must not shy away, growl, jump on judge etc. if they fail the temperament test they aren't allowed to do the rest of the CD test.

I was going to guess that it was our equivalent of a Stand For Exam... but can your dogs move at all in your one? A lot of dogs fail (and have made a career of failing it, hey Ruby!!!!!) not due to dodgy temperament, but because they can't keep their feet still laugh.gif Get your face too close and you cop a kiss from my Labs embarrass.gif

Ah OK - so pretty much like our Stand for Examination - except that in SFE, judge doesn't do mouth, tail or testicles :laugh: . CCD is on lead - 75 cm away, CD off lead - about 2 metres away. CDX - about 5 metres, Ud - at least 5 metres away - but dogs are in a stay line, in a stand - approx 1.5 metres apart - judge goes aloong the line - if there's a full line up of 10 dogs it can take a while :eek: .

The examination is very light to start, then becomes more thorough. Points lost for each foot up to 4, when it becomes a break from position zero.

ROFL Ptolomy. It's so important to have the colour theme going - of course, it's easier when you have black and whites - knew there was a good reason for sticking with BCs :rofl: .

xena98 - Here's the basic Youtube I used to get started.

And this is a preview of one of Michele Pouliot's dvds

She's using an aerobics step, but the home made ones with the dense foam tiles.

You can start with ones that are slightly bigger than the space the dog takes up standing - but then as the dog progresses, you can go to smaller ones, so that the dog is required to really be precise in placement of sits etc.

The height of the platform is not super critical - needs to be enough to give feedback to the dog when s/he's off it. Seems to me the principles of the training are to allow the dog to train its muscle memory for getting into accurate positions. (It's also really good to sharpen up handlers, who've been "near enough is good enough" about straight sits, stands etc. :laugh: )

I use 2 platforms - both lengthwise - one in front of me, one at the left side - just touching in the corner immediately in front of my left foot - to train the stationary call front Rally exercise, and sharpen up finishes - both left and right.

I also use a platform for the COP.

Have fun.

I would be most grateful if you could send me a private E mail with links where I can BUY platforms

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Booooo no CDX! So disappointed, I really thought we had it!

Heelwork... Pass

Drop on Recall... Pass

Dumbbell... Pass

Recall to heel... Pass

Temperament test... Pass

Scent discrimination... Pass

Stand stay... Pass

Sit stay.... Pass

Down stay... FAIL! Of all darn exercises!! I was confident and totally thought we had it in the bag, Elsie has never broken a down-stay and doesn't stress. We get back to the ring after 5 minutes, and she is exactly where I left her, but standing up. Apparently she got up 1 minute in, shook, and then did a perfect stand stay for the last 4 minutes. The judge was so disappointed too, said she is a lovely, wonderful dog, and did a perfect out of sight stand stay LOL.

Oh well... Next time...

My training is going to have to jump up a notch... Have just entered Hemi in a CCD trial and Rally Advanced....

I was going to enter him in the CCD as a NFC but would be sooo upset if in the very unlikely chance we got a pass and we couldnt use it, so have just entered it, will give it our best shot, but not 100% sure we are ready...

Am working on training one or two new signs for Rally A at a time. have got the sit, down, sit one down pat now.... onto the pivots LOL

:( oh poop, DD - that's a shame. At least when Rory has failed a stay after passing everything else, it's been the sit stay. (My first BC boy did a 9 minute stand stay one time in UD - he was a bit worried about the stand in Rottie next to him - even though the howner, whom he knew, was standing with her and she was on lead - Sam took a couple of steps forward and then just stood!

But it's nice that everything else was good. Better luck next time.

Good luck with the CCD RnH. Remember, breathe, and have fun!

And my hot tip for pivots - make sure you don't wear your best agility shoes. You want really worn tread, otherwise the shoes will grip on the grass, and you won't be able to pivot - in fact, you may well fall over :laugh: .

Thought I'd share some video of Wisdom's heelwork, I am super happy with how it is progressing!

She was super revved up to work when I bought her out today, so her backwards heeling was messier than it usually is. However can't fault her enthusiasm! :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd share some video of Wisdom's heelwork, I am super happy with how it is progressing!

She was super revved up to work when I bought her out today, so her backwards heeling was messier than it usually is. However can't fault her enthusiasm! :laugh:

Wow huski you and Wisdom make a great team - thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Are you looking at competing soon - you both look like you're more than ready :)

Wow huski you and Wisdom make a great team - thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Are you looking at competing soon - you both look like you're more than ready :)

Thanks GSD that's very nice of you! Still a fair bit of work to do before we compete though, at the very least I don't feel ready yet :laugh: I want to take my time with her and enjoy the journey, no point in rushing it I think. She's still a baby too really.