Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Cant watch the Cider vid till I get home, can't wait!

A lot of the dogs I see with bad heelwork that lacks that focus and attention can usually be put down to lack of motivation. I know that once I found a way to keep my dog motivated the attentive heel work followed pretty naturally. Not that our heelwork can compare at all to Ptolomy's amazing work!

I remember Richard Curtis talking about how he trained that prancy UK style heelwork with one of his dogs at his seminar earlier in the year. Was so interesting and can't wait to see how you go wth Strauss Ptolomy!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cant watch the Cider vid till I get home, can't wait!

A lot of the dogs I see with bad heelwork that lacks that focus and attention can usually be put down to lack of motivation. I know that once I found a way to keep my dog motivated the attentive heel work followed pretty naturally. Not that our heelwork can compare at all to Ptolomy's amazing work!

I remember Richard Curtis talking about how he trained that prancy UK style heelwork with one of his dogs at his seminar earlier in the year. Was so interesting and can't wait to see how you go wth Strauss Ptolomy!

I think lack of motivation is our problem - although this morning Mason was keen as to work for his new zap ball - he only gets it if he works and he loves the thing.

I taught attention first - started at 8 weeks of age and when she sat I would step into heel position and start rewarding. It took no time at all for her to look up at me the second I stepped into heel and then I just varied the length of time before treating.

The attention was so heavily rewarded that it basically just flowed over to the heel work.

Strauss has been different. I attempted to get some video of him last night, but the memory card was full - argh. We had a seminar 2 weeks ago on teaching the English style of prancy heelwork - which I am trying with him and all of a sudden the light has gone on. So stay tuned with this one......

More info needed :)

It was given by somebody who had attended the Kamal Fernandes (hmm spelling) seminar in NSW Kamal is from the UK and has competed at Crufts.

I have not done everything as per the instructions because I don't want the head to be in the position of the UK dogs, but so far I am getting prancy attentive heelwork after very little effort.

It was given by somebody who had attended the Kamal Fernandes (hmm spelling) seminar in NSW Kamal is from the UK and has competed at Crufts.

I have not done everything as per the instructions because I don't want the head to be in the position of the UK dogs, but so far I am getting prancy attentive heelwork after very little effort.

I am quite clueless - where do the UK dogs have their heads??

ETA - I googled a video of a dog at Crufts heeling and I also hate the head position !! Looks like the dog is going to have a sore neck

Edited by Mason2009

I'll be at the catchup too on the 7th, but I'm bringing Millie instead ;) I'm working on this new style with Millie too, we'll see how long before I get bored and revert back to what I was doing before as I am an impatient little bugger :(

I worked with attention in Millie from the day I got her too, after seeing where I went wrong with Ruby. So for the most part, the attention carried over to heelwork for me too, but nothin' like Ptolomy's kids!! :) I concentrated so hard on attention that her position slipped a bit :) Next dog, I know to make sure both come hand in hand :(

You are so right. Ruby gives some lovely work when she's motivated, but I have broken her somehow and I am struggling to get her motivated in the ring. Our teamwork could use a little work.

Strauss is all prancy already! But have to say, your kids are natural prancers, take Cider for example!! It's gonna be a struggle to get a Lab to prance delicately :(

I had my video camera in my car on Monday for you, forget to tell you :( Oh well, next time eh? :)

You are so right. Ruby gives some lovely work when she's motivated, but I have broken her somehow and I am struggling to get her motivated in the ring. Our teamwork could use a little work.

Strauss is all prancy already! But have to say, your kids are natural prancers, take Cider for example!! It's gonna be a struggle to get a Lab to prance delicately :(

I had my video camera in my car on Monday for you, forget to tell you :( Oh well, next time eh? :)

Your girls could still look prancy RS but my big boy is as delicate as an elephant on steroids!!

Have worked out its better not to whinge JulesP and just set about organising seminars that you might want to attend and actually push for them to happen. Amazing when you want something badly enough how you can eventually find a way for it to happen. Selfish but so very true.

Still would pack up and move to WA in a heartbeat though :) . Everytime I go and visit I am sad to come home again :( .

I think Ptolomy needs to write a book on the secrets of attentive heeling :) Pleeeeeeeeease? :(

Chapter 1 if at first you don't suceed with dog number 1 - get another dog and start again :(

Cider is dog number 6 for me - so I have had a few attempts - so hang in there :)

Oh awesome, can I send you my reject Danes?