Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Goodluck for your trial this weekend Sue and Cindy!!

We have our second CCD trial on Sat night, so will be interesting to see how we go, as i'm a bit busy this week, and not sure how much training i'll get in!!!

Great video RV!! You are doing so well with Toby! I'll let the more experienced people help you :) but I thought it looked great!!

Have a great time away Ptolomy and Bedazzled!!! :):) Look forward to hearing how you both go!!

Great to hear Zara is coming along so nicely LP!!

And speaking of seekbacks and articles - does anyone have a good like on how to teach them (I won't be teaching it for a while, but just thought i'd start reading up on them! :) ).

Goodluck this weekend Wuffles, and hope the weather stays nice for you!!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to watch one a while back and it was postponed because of rain so I was wondering if that was the norm :) Our trial on Saturday is at the same club and rain is predicted so I was just wondering what usually happens.

Little Princess Ava doesn't like the rain :)

It is very rare for a trial to be cancelled due to rain. That trial was a small ribbon trial with only one judge who on the night was also not well. Because entries were small it was relatively easy to contact all entrants and let tme know of the postponement. I was supposed to steward that night :)

eta. This weekends trial has several judges and potentially interstate exhibitors, so it will certainly go ahead even if it's raining.

Edited by FHRP

It is very rare for a trial to be cancelled due to rain. That trial was a small ribbon trial and the judge on the night was also not well. Because entries were small it was relatively easy to contact all entrants and let tme know of the postponement. I was supposed to steward that night :)

Fair enough! :) So much little stuff to learn/find out when just starting out...

LuvLottie I know a few people (including Ptolomy) use the Dog Scout method for teaching scent discrim :).

http://www.dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Discrim.html

As for seekback I have never had to many hassles with either of mine - its not an exercise they seem to struggle with. We just built it up gradually but fairly quickly and I know with Ness she doing a full length one inside 2 weeks and has only ever missed one in the 3 and a bit years she has trained or trialled UD.

Edited by ness

We have our second CCD trial on Sat night, so will be interesting to see how we go, as i'm a bit busy this week, and not sure how much training i'll get in!!!

Great video RV!! You are doing so well with Toby! I'll let the more experienced people help you :) but I thought it looked great!!

Have a great time away Ptolomy and Bedazzled!!! :):) Look forward to hearing how you both go!!

Great to hear Zara is coming along so nicely LP!!

And speaking of seekbacks and articles - does anyone have a good like on how to teach them (I won't be teaching it for a while, but just thought i'd start reading up on them! :) ).

Goodluck this weekend Wuffles, and hope the weather stays nice for you!!

Thanks for the best wishes-I am sort of confident but we will see. If the ground is wet we will be in trouble. Little miss fussy doesn't drop on wet grass without treats!

I've also never seen a trial cancelled due to rain and I've been trialling for like 12 years and much of that was in far north QLD where you can get some pretty incredible thunder storms!

You'll have to come and hang out with me! I'll be there! I've even trained Ella this week in preparation for it! My training schedule lately has looked a bit sparse - as in I haven't done any in about 3 weeks! LOL

You'll have to come and hang out with me! I'll be there! I've even trained Ella this week in preparation for it! My training schedule lately has looked a bit sparse - as in I haven't done any in about 3 weeks! LOL

Oh yay!! Yep I will come and find you!! I'm sure i'll be pretty nervous though :laugh: I haven't done one bit of training with her this week yet, oops!! But will take her out later and do some I think!!

I have been using Shirley Chong's dumbell training with Cindy for the last 2 weeks.

She will not mouth it at all! I am not c/t any contact unless it is the mouth. If I hold off the c/t and wit for her to take it she starts offering other behaviours-sit, drop, stand and then just gets confused.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Have you done all the initial steps???

Yes-to the letter. She just rarely mouths any toys apart from tugs. She noses kongs etc.

Can you video your next session?

GREAT NEWS! Cindy's picking up a dumbell!

OK Sunday's trial is getting closer and I am wondering why I am doing this.

Cindy is not broken (I may be) but it is her usual problem of heeling just behind my left leg and slow drops or if the ground is damp or even dew on it-hovering drops.

Yish. At least I have worked out I am not competing with the ring-only myself!

At the biginning of the week I had thought I was close to a Q but then the rain came. :)

OK Sunday's trial is getting closer and I am wondering why I am doing this.

Cindy is not broken (I may be) but it is her usual problem of heeling just behind my left leg and slow drops or if the ground is damp or even dew on it-hovering drops.

Yish. At least I have worked out I am not competing with the ring-only myself!

At the biginning of the week I had thought I was close to a Q but then the rain came. :)

Hopefully it will dry out a bit - 22C on Sunday!

If it's her "usual problem" remember that it's not something you can fix in such a short time. She finds her current position very rewarding so it can be a bit of work to undo that so I would stop worrying about that this week. For drops on damp grass I use really, really high value treats!

Well we didn't have such a good trial today! We didn't fail any particular exercise, just lost enough points across all of them to NQ by 2 points :rofl: I don't know where my little girl went as she was very, very flat.

So we still need one more CCD pass... come onnnnnnnnnnnn :)

Edit: Just watched the video and thankfully it doesn't look as bad as it felt :) There is some good stuff in there and in particular a lovely right about turn so at least I know she can do them! :)

Another edit: I also think we did the longest recall in CCD history. I counted the amount of steps I take - I usually take 15 - and it was 24 :) I thought I mustn't have heard her due to the wind but nope, she didn't tell me to about turn and halt until 24 steps!

Edited by wuffles