So Proud Of My Dogs

Nic oh lah

So last night I looked out my bedroom window to see a Yobbo mate of my neighbour perched atop of the roof of their garden shed and my fence preparing to jump into my yard. They'd been drinking ALOT and playing backyard cricket and lost some tennis balls into my yard. I ran out there as the dogs were barking off their heads and screamed at him to stop where he is and to go to my front door and knock and i'll help him then (from behind the security screen!)

Moron yells that he just wants to grab their balls and jumps into the yard! Oh my goodness. Dog's rushed him barking and growling - Sophie jumped on him full force and sent him flying - backwards into a pile of dog crap - lol. I called her and her and Vader stood infront of me staring down moron who is getting himself off and yelling about dog crap. I told him to stand still and he took a step towards me saying "i'll just grab the balls and get out of here" and Sophie and (hugely to my surprise) Vader bared teeth, growled and barked. I've not ever seen Vader behave like this, nor with Sophie - she surprised the Energex meter reader one time but she really turned on her full vicious to this guy" although stood perfectly still - hackles up. I rested my hand on the dogs backs, told the guy to STAND STILL FOR GOODNESS SAKE - walked over to the precious tennis balls and threw them over the fence back to their yard (all the while the dogs didnt take their eyes off him and kept up the teeth baring and growling and barking) and told him to get out and stay out unless he wants to be in shreds. He got out of that yard LIGHTNING FAST, dogs were back to happy boofheads, and i was internally laughing my ass off as he said "oh my F.....ing god NEVER go near that yard, shes got an Alsatian and a really big whippet and they're like professional guard dogs". ;)

I'm so proud. They kept their distance on my say so and protected me. On the street or something if sophie put on that display i would be a bit concerned unless i really felt like i was in danger, but a drunk HUGE guy jumped into the yard and took a step towards me with arms outstretched - so i'm really happy that she protected me. Same with Vader - he was probably just following sophies lead but still, i felt like i had 2 bodyguards! My hubby is going to be starting with QLD police in June and doing shift work all round the clock so i'm very happy to know that Sophie will protect me like she did and that my dero neighbours who can jump into my yard when i'm alone at 3 in the morning are afraid of my dogs. And who new a Greyhound would be a good guard dog!!! He wasn't anywhere near as anxious as Sophie but he was definately guarding.

Must add that later that night we had some freinds come round to play board games and stuff that neither dog had met and both dogs were happy and freindly because i was relaxed. I'm expecting a flaming for condoning my dogs vicious display but if it was you alone in your house at night i'm pretty sure you'd be glad too.

Edited by NicGSDlover

Good dogs! You really taught them well!

I haven't taught them! They're just amazing dogs. I'm so proud. We've had Sophie 3 months and she's just instinctively protective of me. And Vader we've had the grand total of I think 12 days! He's a foster greyhound - i'm so so proud of them both.

I would expect my dogs to act the same as well! Our big dogs sleep in crates at night unless OH is away for work, then they sleep on the bed, just incase.. I think my 6kg foxie cross would be the worst offender though, she wouldn't let anyone in the house letalone the bedroom..

I call them my '4bark alarm system' ;)

How lucky you are. My first shepherd years ago did the same for me, she was the perfect guard dog in every way. People where always cautious coming to my place. Shes been gone 18 years and I have had a couple of big babies( being polite) in between but reckon my latest girl has the guarding/ protection instinct. Good on ya Sophie & Vadar

The fact that the dogs both did their protection thing without any specific training, and that they held on your command, is testament to how well settled they feel with you - you've done a great job with both of them, and they are repaying the favour methinks...

Extra treats for both of them today I reckon!

T.

No flaming here either. Well done I say. :o

I must say I have a smile to myself when the pizza man won't come in the front yard despite Edward being behind the fence safely in the back yard. It's the big dog - loud bark thing. I don't know if he would actively protect me if I needed it but I'd like to think so. You're right it's nice to feel safe when you live alone.

What excellent dogs you have & well done too.You can sleep soundly knowing you have good protectors looking out for you.I have had neighbours do this here and just jump into my yard.All my dogs have done is bark madly with the bigger girl(kelpie x) getting her hackles up.Im happy with that cos at least they are giving me warning so I can go out there and deal with it.