Couple Using Halti's On Thier 2 Malamutes

skip

As the topic suggests - I was at the beach (off lead) today and moved away from 2 malamutes and the young couple walking them on lead. I couldn't help noticing something black and larger near one dogs nose.

Drawing closer they were his thongs. Saves carrying them and his girlfriend was doing the same. Is it just me or is that really disrespectful to your dog? As with horses, the nose is really sensitive and sure these dogs were uncomfortable. :banghead:

Sorry I don't like hati's anyway but I supose they have their place. Althou NOT as thong carriers. People do not think!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clyde - I think Skip might be referencing to the fact that the weight of the thongs on the lead would be applying pressure on the dogs' head collars.

I'd tend to agree - I don't much like anything interfering with the proper use of a lead (I even hate those poo bag things that clip on to lead handles). As to how much additional discomfort they would cause I'm not sure, but it is more than what the dog should carry via its muzzle.

Dogs eat their own poo and week old bones, I don't think a thong will bother them in the scheme of things.

I'm utterly dumbfounded that you would equate these 2 things! I would think hanging something from a halti would be extremely uncomfortabe. Do you think that the fact that your dogs "eat their own poo (never seen my dogs do this) & week old bones" means you can visit ANY indignity on them?

Poodlemum - I can't help but think Clyde has misunderstood and perhaps was thinking the OP was making reference to the indignity of having someone's 'smelly' thongs near its nose. So before everyone starts shrieking with astonishment, need to give a chance for the view to be clarified.

Yes, I am sure the dogs wouldn't mind the smell - rather like it maybe.

I just thought it would be uncomfortable - the weight on the nose and the flapping around. I thought it was careless but I didn't say anything cause ( I normally don't ) I am not that wise when it comes to halti's etc.

Just curious if others would have said anything to the couple.

Poodlemum - I can't help but think Clyde has misunderstood and perhaps was thinking the OP was making reference to the indignity of having someone's 'smelly' thongs near its nose. So before everyone starts shrieking with astonishment, need to give a chance for the view to be clarified.

Yes , thanks I had misunderstood the OP. Talk about getting your knickers in a twist Poodle Mum :sleep:

Thanks Erny for clarifying for me. :coffee:

As the topic suggests - I was at the beach (off lead) today and moved away from 2 malamutes and the young couple walking them on lead. I couldn't help noticing something black and larger near one dogs nose.

Drawing closer they were his thongs. Saves carrying them and his girlfriend was doing the same. Is it just me or is that really disrespectful to your dog? As with horses, the nose is really sensitive and sure these dogs were uncomfortable. :sleep:

Sorry I don't like hati's anyway but I supose they have their place. Althou NOT as thong carriers. People do not think!

Nothing would surprise me with Halti mentality :coffee:

Yes , thanks I had misunderstood the OP. Talk about getting your knickers in a twist Poodle Mum :D

Thanks Erny for clarifying for me. :mad

I don't think I got my knickers in a twist - MY dogs don't eat their own poo and I take exception to someone suggesting that they do - I think your post was completely stupid & offensive.

I don't think I got my knickers in a twist - MY dogs don't eat their own poo and I take exception to someone suggesting that they do - I think your post was completely stupid & offensive.

Is the practice of poo eating beneath your dogs? :mad Gee whiz, are they allowed to sniff other dog's bum when they go out?

In defense of halti - users, I guess I am one of those with a 'halti mentality'.

I have used haltis with my poodle x for many years and it has given us many peaceful and relaxing walks together. She was an awful 'pull till you choke' kind of dog when I first picked her up from the pound.

Haltis have their legitimate uses. But I do agree that carrying thongs is not one of them.

personally given the size of giant poo bag carriers people attach to there leads & the likes i doubt a pair a thongs would be a major issues.

The number of people who bring there dogs in with heavy poo bag holders attach to the chain part is amazing

In defense of halti - users, I guess I am one of those with a 'halti mentality'.

I have used haltis with my poodle x for many years and it has given us many peaceful and relaxing walks together. She was an awful 'pull till you choke' kind of dog when I first picked her up from the pound.

Haltis have their legitimate uses. But I do agree that carrying thongs is not one of them.

Agree. A halti properly used and fitted is a wonderful boon to dog walkers with dogs who no amount of training will stop pulling.

Thongs attached to them? No way.

personally given the size of giant poo bag carriers people attach to there leads & the likes i doubt a pair a thongs would be a major issues.

The number of people who bring there dogs in with heavy poo bag holders attach to the chain part is amazing

I hate seeing it too. Great big plastic bags of shopping bag size flopping and flying in the breeze must be nightmares to some dogs. But, sadly, that's how these things are marketed: just attach to you dog's lead and hey presto you don't have the inconvenience of having to carry them. How about the dog?

Did the dogs seem worried if not i don't think its a big issue they are big dogs.

At least they were out of their yards being exercised unlike most other dogs i see on a daily basis locked in there back yards.

As for halits i have used one and promote their use on any dog that can't be walked on a collar surely walking in a halti is better than not walking at all.

Did the dogs seem worried if not i don't think its a big issue they are big dogs.

At least they were out of their yards being exercised unlike most other dogs i see on a daily basis locked in there back yards.

As for halits i have used one and promote their use on any dog that can't be walked on a collar surely walking in a halti is better than not walking at all.