New Puppies

tlc

Hi guys

I actually don't like the puppy stage at all. Couldn't wait for our last one to grow up. We just realized that its been 12 months last weekend (over Easter) that we got Scarlett. She is 15 months old now, thankgod :thumbsup:

I have no desire to go back to the puppy stage at all. Glad its all over :rofl:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whee! In a few hours my lovely little boy goes back to the breeder for a long weekend while we go away on a short Sunshine Coast holiday - whoooooooo. I will miss him, really I will but i'm looking forward to a few nights break from puppy-hood.

I love puppies and think they are adorable BUT personally I don't ever want another :thumbsup:

Rescues or adult adoptions from now on. I have had both.

The last pups I've had I've also had children available to keep them amused and tired.

I had the last border collie pup alone for a weekend, while everyone else went away, and she nearly drove me crazy!

The feeding and toilet training are not a problem but the CONSTANT activity is too much at my age!

Give me a (reasonably) well trained adult dog and I'm happy

Ella was my first puppy ever (only had 4 year+ rescue dogs) and had been 12 years for OH and it was our first dog all of our own and honestly, it has been the most rewarding experience and I would do it all again in a moment.

I love her to pieces but kind of wish she'd get grown up now, love my hairy dogs and for a Golden Retriever she is more Labish :rofl: I know, give it time!! I miss her little fat puppy belly after she ate, the way she'd trip over herself if she ran (waddled more like it) to fast and her little paws and puppy breath. Gosh I'm getting all puppy cluck now just thinking about it!

OH was against crate training but now loves it 100% and says we will do it from now on with any dog/pup we get.She has also been a quick learner re: toilet training and obedience, hasn't destroyed anything but a headband I left in her reach, no holes or outside destruction. And on her first 2 nights she cried when we first went to bed for 15mins then 10 then nothing and for the first week she woke us up at 2.30 on the dot for a loo break and then slept right through fine.

Very, very lucky to have her for our first dog!

Here are some pics:

First Day Home

Ella3.jpg

Ella2.jpg

Ella8.jpg

Taken at 6 months

DSCN1778.jpg

Ella-1.jpg

And now at 7 months .... taken Easter Weekend (hence the bunny ears which was thrilled about :laugh: )

EasterElla.jpg

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :laugh: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :laugh: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :rofl:

*LOL* Loving these stories - just went and checked on our pup - found him in the middle of the bed - curled up asleep :laugh: That's what happens when you get blase about it and stop closing the bedroom door :rofl:

We got our first 2 dogs at about 4 months from rescue - our 3rd at a year from rescue, Rosie at 8 weeks from a pet shop :mad - never again now I know what I know - and Earl at 12 weeks from Centitout.

Getting Rosie was an experience - she was not planned at all and I had several WTF moments - luckily she was a good puppy - slept next to the bed on a t-shirt of mine the first night - toilet trained pretty quickly and introduced me to the joys of watching dogs play bitey face with each other.

post-25263-1270709482_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1270709565_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1270709685_thumb.jpg

She is currently methodically dismembering a stuffed toy - the room looks like it snowed :rofl:

Earl was the first pup we got from a breeder so we had the joy of being involved right through - when we picked him up from the airport my first thought was - "OMG - he is so big". It took him a couple of days to settle in and we quickly realised if he was going to sleep in our room we were going to have to Earlproof it - he still managed to destroy an extension cord and chew the skirting board :p

Now he is 6 months and he and Rosie spend most of the day (and evening) chasing each other round and playing bitey face - he has his own special set of quirks (he loves squeaky toys and will do anything for a liver treat :) ) and I am looking forward to spending the years watching him grow and develop.

post-25263-1270710594_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1270710652_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1270710767_thumb.jpg

post-25263-1270710956_thumb.jpg

Would I get another pup - absolutely :rofl:

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :rofl: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :mad

The Aussie at Mason's birthday party the other day was divine :)

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :laugh: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :rofl: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!
I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :mad If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :)

The Aussie at Mason's birthday party the other day was divine :p

Aussie?? Which Aussie?? :rofl:

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :laugh: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :rofl: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :rofl:

Yup... or another Lab :rofl:

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :mad If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

Jenna!

Jenna!

I just love Jenna, I don't know how you would are going to be able to resist Jenna's pups RS!

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :rofl: I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :rofl: If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!
I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :mad I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :) If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :p

The Aussie at Mason's birthday party the other day was divine ;)

Jenna!

I just love Jenna, I don't know how you would are going to be able to resist Jenna's pups RS!

I'm not, so I am going to have to wear my training pants with large pockets so I can steal one (or two) :laugh:

I Loved Puppy Stage!

(still currently going through it with Hector 14 weeks young)

I love the puppy breath, the puppy pre school, puppy play! Everything about it!

Hector has been a god send to toilet train, got the hang of it in 2 nights!

:rofl:

IMG_0676.jpg

Hector at 13 weeks!

P2250153.jpg

Maverick when he was 8 weeks, first day home!

I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :mad I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait :) If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!
I would have another puppy in a heartbeat if the time was right... but at the moment, it's not :p I guess I could MAKE it the time, but I know in the longrun it is better if I wait ;) If I didn't already have 2 dogs I would probably be on the hunt for a pup right now!

First you have to decide if you want an ES or an Aussie :p

The Aussie at Mason's birthday party the other day was divine ;)

Jenna!

I'm not, so I am going to have to wear my training pants with large pockets so I can steal one (or two) :rofl:

:laugh: I imagine Jenna will be trained to find her puppies like she is the car keys :rofl:

I miss Bitty's puppyhood very much and I feel that it went by too fast. I was too focused on training her and curbing any bad habits, I feel like maybe I missed out on enjoying the puppyness of it all.

For fear of bad behavior and destruction I had her on this crazy routine where every single day everything was planned out for her from training sessions, play breaks with her brother to alone time so that she would be well adjusted. It was a crazy 6 months! OH and I often say to each other "We lost 6 months of our lives training Bitty!"

But then one day she was just all trustworthy and calm and could be left alone unsupervised. I was pretty chuffed but also really sad because my crazy fluffball was all grown up. I miss taking a bundle of fur out at night to toilet and then kissing the fluffball before putting her back to bed. I miss bouncing this chubby puppy on my lap and I even miss all the times she went mental and practically gave me a breakdown because she just would not sit still naturally!

I have to give a shout out to my Bubby though for helping me raise Bitty! There were times when I would have a meltdown, I'd cling onto Bubby and say "Mummy just can't handle her right now Bubs" and Bubby would take one for the team by entertaining her.

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

:eek: So many great stories about puppies, I am in my element!!

Where to begin :rofl:

Gaylek, I agree they definatley don't stay pups for long enough!!

tdierikx, you do a wonderful job, so many beautiful puppies, they all look so adorable, you must be so sad to see them go?!!

kirislin, I loved your story, I don't know how breeders do it, I would never be able to get any work done, I'd be playing with pups 24/7 :laugh:

You mentioned training and the bond you share with them that comes from spending so much time together, my lot were so eager to please training seemed to come so naturally and easily till I got Bronson, he is very head strong and has a real willful nature, he tests the boundries all the time but I love it because he is a challenge!!

Blacklab, I was always ready for that adolecent stage, around 10 months or so it kicked in with my lot (apart from Lacy) they all tested the boundries to see what they could get away with!! :D

Sas, I had always imagined that a dane would be a handful, we have had a few come through obedience and they are the funniest dogs its like when they are pups that they are in a big dogs body and so unco :rofl: they are great dogs!!

Crazy Daisy, What sort of puppy are you going to get next? Ruffy and Daisy are so cute love the pics!!

Mysticview, I agree with you for sure about pups being easy to forgive. I laughed when I read your bit about furkids over skin kids :rofl: I agree!

Poodlefan, There is definatly no better time waster than watching puppies play even now mine are adults I still get so much enjoyment out of watching them play together!!

Poodlemum, 11 puppies :eek: thats a huge number, love the photos. Love the dad shot and the one of all them white puppies heading for the dam..... :rofl:

NicGSDlover, It won't be long and Chase will be all grown up and toilet trained and all the rest and you will wonder where the puppy months went! Your boy is lovely. Have fun on you holiday!!

Macka, some puppies are definatley easier, Leia is beautiful she definatly looks like she has a cheeky glint in her eye in those photos. Archer is georgous!!

Wolfsong, I can believe you when you say Lestat was easy, I have friends with Lab pups that have been a dream. Mistral and Alchemy sound lovely and full of mischief. We sometimes stop and talk to a man at the park with two samoyeds and they are just the most lovely natured dogs, so calm and so pretty to look at!!

Matty, your comment puppies can be a nightmare had me laughing :mad

Great pictures, love the sleeping one, nothing quite so peaceful as a puppy sleeping!!

I L DD, Your girl is beautiful, she is growing so fast, glad she is settling more now. We have had some SB pups at obedience and they have been so layed back and just so cruisy with all the other dogs. Im sure your boys are watching over you :)

valleycbr, Puppy from hell :) he sure looks sweet enough in the photos and Lilly what a face, so cute!! Oh the broken leg shot, she looks so sad, poor pup that must have been so hard, for you and for her!!

Cashew, Your time with your pup sounded so aweful, you both went through so much!! Glad you can look back now and say it was a learning experience and your pup/dog is still here today. You definatley done something right!!

Bundys mum, Bundy sounds like a fire cracker :p Dogs and toilet paper = funny photos!

Who knows number 2 might be a dream dog!!

Aussie3, I love cheeky and naughty too, they look at you with thier faces and all is forgiven, we are such suckers..... ;)

faolmor, I think consecutive pups are easier too, they learn so much from the older dogs. My oldest was a great pup, he slept on the bed till we got Lacy then he decided to make way for her and went and put himself to bed in his bed on the floor. Mind you he still gets on the bed for cuddles and a few weeks ago he was sick and he slept on the bed all night, fist time he has done that in nearly 3 years!

Masons mum, Did the vet ever tell you what the problem was with the frequent toileting, that must have been so hard. He was definatly cute and great when they are easy to train!

Charleswentworth, Charlie sounds like a puppy made in heaven!! A dream dog. He sounds a lot like my girl Tully, she was just a breeze to have, she just went with the flow and was the happiest, quietest pup ever. She is however occasionally corrupted by her brothers and sister, :p love the photos!!

Niques, Glad you have come to terms with having a puppy. Sometimes I think we let our emotions get in the way instead of just enjoying them things especially when it comes to puppies! I loved puppy school as well it was great. James is lovely!!

Sparkytansy, Your poor pup being allergic to chicken of all things, that must have been really hard!!

;) @ devils spawn, glad he turned a corner at 18 months, must not have been all bad you went back for more!! Your dogs sound like they are full of life and love. Beautiful photos!!

Jules P, you sound like me, when mine did something naughty I was like oh well its all part of puppyhood. I'd rather laugh than go off. Sorry to hear your not enjoying dog school, I loved it when they were pups and its only now that they are older that Im finding it a bit boring and not challenging enough for them or for me. Beautiful photos!!

luffy4688, Bailey looks like a sweetie. Sounds like you had a rough start, sometimes all the reading and prep you do can never prepare you for the real thing!!

Charli73, Sounds like a rough start for you guys too. Glad all is good now. Its hard not to let them put it over you as pups, they just have a way of doing it. Great shots love the ears!!

Ams, I agree with you 100% Puppy breath is the best :laugh:

saxonpup, Saxon sounds like he was a model puppy, He look georgous too!!

Caseykay, I think your first girl was sent to test your patience, and your second girl sounded like an angel. its funny how it works out sometimes and amazing how so many have bad experiences with their first but still go back for a second and third!! Great that your older 2 now get on well with your puppy!!

Newamstaffowner, Oscar sounds like he was a great pup, he was definatley testing the boundries in that teenage stage :laugh: I bet he would love a brother or a sister. Great photos. What a face!!

Amypie, How cute is your boy Kyzer!! He does look so tiny in the pics. He sounds like a real character. Trixie is lovely, she sounds like she really went to town as a pup. I have never seen a dog like her before. I had forgotten till you mentioned it about how they just fall asleep anywhere. :laugh: we went to puppy school one evening and Bronson had had a big day with the other dogs and he slept through the whole class on my knee!!

Joelle, its wonderful you went back again after Ellie :laugh: and I think you are definatly right you just keep learning as you go!!

Newfsie, Newfy pups are just the cutest!! Your babys are beautiful!!

Mokhahouse, LOL another that agrees that puppies aren't puppies for long enough, it definatley goes to quick. Your 2 look made for each other!!

Schnauzerlover, was there anything in particular you didn't like or you just prefer adult dogs??

Scarlet, Good point about the kids keeping the pups active and occupied. I think dogs/pups in a house with kids are a lot more entertained. That was one of the reasons we got Lacy as Cooper was so lonely, he needed more than just me and the OH.....

Here is Cooper and Lacy when Lacy was a puppy, they adored each other!!

P1080566.jpg

P1010904.jpg

Jenni87, love that you got all clucky talking about Ella, this certainly is a thread for puppy cluckiness!! what are you waiting for?! Lovely photos, what a cutie!!

I guess this is a thread we all can relate to in one way or another and it is really good to hear others experiences good or bad!!

Largest litter of pups I've had to help rear was 10... Rottie pups... they are soooo cute and funny when they are about 4-5 weeks old and their individual personalities are really starting to kick in! We sat for hours just watching them play...

Have help rear 2 other litters of 9 pups - one litter of Rotties, and one of Labrador X - pretty similar as pups, and just as cute at the 4-5 week mark.

One thing I don't miss about having a large litter is the cleaning up after them...

T.

Thought I would just add a couple each of my gang !

Cooper

P1040484.jpg

P1040873cooper.jpg

Lacy

P1010824.jpg

P1020033.jpg

Tully was the most divine pup in every way!

P1030445.jpg

Tully getting to know Bailey

P1030481.jpg

Bronson

DSC_0070.jpg

P1140881.jpg

My Oh with the gang when Bron was a pup

P1140829.jpg