18 Month Old Dog Bashed On Owners Front Lawn

Guest Willow

Poor bloody dog, sounds like a car to me too. There are too many could have beens too as the dog was out regularly, could have been a pitty hater, could have been a parent that was sick of seeing the dog out whose own child may have been attacked by another dog, it could have been anything. Not many people have spare star droppers to carry around and I am sure to do that damage you would need a hell of a lot of force behind the strike.

I hope the poor bugger recovers and doesn't have to many behavioural and physical implications in his recovery. It would be interesting to see if he started showing aversions to vehicles or more to humans.

Another good example of ensuring that your dog is adequately contained in the saftey of your yard

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all you read about pitbull type dogs attacking people, I seriously doubt anyone would attack one unprovoked because it would be a high risk strategy. Different case if you are trying to defend yourself but to go out of your way to do this with this type of dog that you don't even know, sounds dubious to me.

It sounds very likely that the dog was hit by a car.

The idea that the dog was bashed by a 'pitbull hater' seems pretty far fetched. Sounds like somebody doesn't want to take responsibility for their dog not being contained.

Remeber when we had the census and the survey was delivered to each house?

Well a friend of ours lives on a large fruit block with 3 houses on it. 2 of those houses are occupied and face streets on seperate sides of the block, one is un-occupied, decrepid and in the centre of the block. He had his Rottie (who was aggressive) tethered in front of the old house, well away from the roads and where no-one ever went except family.

Well what did the bloody census people do? Came onto the property and bashed to dog with a pole until they could get past him to put the survey on the doorstep :laugh: Idiots!

The poor dog was injured so severly that from memory he was PTS.

It does happen.

This is another article about it:

WAtoday

A "senseless" attack on 18-month-old puppy, Jack,

I love the emotive words used - "puppy" when the dogs is 18 months, helps portray poor little defenseless puppy dog. Wouldn't be called a puppy had it bitten one of those kids :laugh: It would be a fully grown killing machine.

Dog out roaming- my bet is a car impact too . With luck and a full recovery, he will not try and run across the road again .poor boy. His injuries sound much like one of my cats who was hit by a car.. head trauma , eye hanging out- skin off....he survived,minus sight in one eye.

Poor bloody dog, sounds like a car to me too. There are too many could have beens too as the dog was out regularly, could have been a pitty hater, could have been a parent that was sick of seeing the dog out whose own child may have been attacked by another dog, it could have been anything. Not many people have spare star droppers to carry around and I am sure to do that damage you would need a hell of a lot of force behind the strike.

I hope the poor bugger recovers and doesn't have to many behavioural and physical implications in his recovery. It would be interesting to see if he started showing aversions to vehicles or more to humans.

Another good example of ensuring that your dog is adequately contained in the saftey of your yard

Where in the article does it say the dog was out regularly?

It said in the article, that the next door neighbour had star pickets in his yard, it also said that experts said the injury to the dog, was consistent with bashing by a star picket.

It said in the article, that the next door neighbour had star pickets in his yard, it also said that experts said the injury to the dog, was consistent with bashing by a star picket.

Second article:

"All the kids know Jack, they absolutely love him. He's been getting out and playing with the kids across the road in the Easter break."

Second article:

"All the kids know Jack, they absolutely love him. He's been getting out and playing with the kids across the road in the Easter break."

In the easter break is only a couple of days & he did say they had temporary fencing, after storms blew their fence down. Is that a reason to bash a dog, because it is loose, if it hasn't caused any problems?

Just before I left Perth, we had a big storm while I was at work that blew our fence down, Kenny went into my neighbours place & was howling at the backdoor to be let in, because he was scared & wanted a human to cuddle him. My neighbour just took him back to my place & locked him inside, he didn't feel the need to bash him.

Edited by mantis

In the easter break is only a couple of days & he did say they had temporary fencing, after storms blew their fence down. Is that a reason to bash a dog, because it is loose, if it hasn't caused any problems?

Just before I left Perth, we had a big storm while I was at work that blew our fence down, Kenny went into my neighbours place & was howling at the backdoor to be let in, because he was scared & wanted a human to cuddle him. My neighbour just took him back to my place & locked him inside, he didn't feel the need to bash him.

But did you then continue to leave your dog in a yard that you knew wasn't fully fenced? No one is saying that the reason the dog got bashed was because it was roaming, what is being said is that it was very irresponsible of the owner to continue leaving the dog in a yard which he knew was not adequately fenced (the fact that the second article suggests that the dog had been out on a number of occasions previously) regardless of whether it is one day or 5 weeks, it is a risk to leave a dog in a poorly fenced yard- risk that the dog will get out and be either a) bashed or b) hit by a car... Regardless of what one thinks the cause of the injury was, the fact is that the dog should have been contained more adequately!

This guy lives right next door to an alley/access way so maybe someone did attack him, been very worried about this cause we take Merlin to the park just across the road from him

The street is a cul-de-sac and his house is about 3 houses from the end so doubt anyone would be going to fast down the street, however I know it doesnt take much speed to do damage and people do drive their dogs down the park so maybe he was accidentally hit while he was bolting across the road to the park.

Would really prefer to think it was a car accident than to think someone bashed Jack like that

Hope Jack gets better soon

Edited by Hollys mummy

But did you then continue to leave your dog in a yard that you knew wasn't fully fenced? No one is saying that the reason the dog got bashed was because it was roaming, what is being said is that it was very irresponsible of the owner to continue leaving the dog in a yard which he knew was not adequately fenced (the fact that the second article suggests that the dog had been out on a number of occasions previously) regardless of whether it is one day or 5 weeks, it is a risk to leave a dog in a poorly fenced yard- risk that the dog will get out and be either a) bashed or b) hit by a car... Regardless of what one thinks the cause of the injury was, the fact is that the dog should have been contained more adequately!

He said he had temporary fencing as I did, until the fence was fixed. If the dog had been a problem for a long time, then the media would have been all over it, the fact that no one has come out & complained about the dog, shows that it was a nice natured dog, who only got out for a couple of days because of storms,

Edited by mantis

Car theory for me too.

Wouldn't the neighbour know how many star posts he had and wouldn't he notice one covered in blood.

There may well have been one - media don't get told everything. Poor pup, poor people. :D

He said he had temporary fencing as I did, until the fence was fixed. If the dog had been a problem for a long time, then the media would have been all over it, the fact that no one has come out & complained about the dog, shows that it was a nice natured dog, who only got out for a couple of days because of storms,

Nobody suggested the dog didn't have a nice nature, they are saying, 'keep the dog safe'. If the owner knew that the dog was getting out in spite of the temporary fencing then he should have made other arrangements to keep the dog contained for it's own safety so that it didn't get hit by a car or a looney with a star picket. I think you're off on your own tangent a bit here Mantis, Bindii wasn't suggesting it's the dog's fault. BTW, the storm was 4 weeks ago, not a couple of days.

ETA: After looking at the video in the second link, I think he had an altercation with a car, not a star picket. The fact that it's a cul de sac and the cars wouldn't get up a great deal of speed might be the reason he's still breathing. Not that I'm an expert or anything but an older car...metal bumper...I don't understand why, when the most logical assumption is a car, that anyone is presuming some weirdo came along and a) noticed the pickets next door and b) bothered to go and get one and then come back again to whack a dog. Looks like just one swipe, which suggests car too.

Edited by hortfurball

The facts are no one saw wht happened, the dog was in a front yard with shoddy fencing, it had previously escaped over easter period and the owner did not fix the broken fencing from the storm or secure it in the backyard, it was able to get to the neighbours, so it was able to get out, so whether it got out and then was hit or bashed is unknown, it got out and the owner knew it had been out before and made no attempt to put in the backyard with secure fencing, the owner was not protecting his dog when he knew it could get out, when he knew the fencing was broken, and he went to work leaving it in the front yard where it was not safe from passers by or from jumping a fence and getting out, which it did get out ( either before it was injured or after it was injured). It should not have been able to get out if it was secured properly.

There's been an update on this story, but when you read it note that the dog is STILL allowed to run free. I can not believe that he is not protecting his dog, as it is still recovering for its injuries.

Man sought over Midvale dog bashing

The West Australian April 21, 2010, 3:43 pm

Police have identified two persons of interest they wish to speak to over a vicious attack on a dog in Midvale last week.

His owner Leslie Rennie said Jack, an 18-month-old bull mastiff-Staffordshire terrier, was still recovering from the beating, which left him bleeding heavily from wounds to his skull and right eye.

Today, police said witnesses had reported seeing a man walking through the area on the morning of the attack, arguing with a female pushing a young blonde child in a blue fold-up stroller about 8.45am.

Witnesses saw the man knock the female to the ground before walking towards Mr Rennie's home and moments later, heard a commotion and a dog barking loudly.

The man was then seen crossing the park very quickly with the female and child in tow, towards Balfour Road, Swan View.

He is described as being between 20-25 years old, with a slim build, 186cm tall, a shaved head, and clean shaven with fair skin.

He had an Australian accent and was wearing cream track pants and a white sports top.

The female was about 18 years old, with fair skin, 166cm tall, long light coloured hair and a very thin build, wearing dark blue jeans and a light blue jumper.

To add to Mr Rennie's woes, on Tuesday afternoon the dog escaped from his yard and hid for several hours after he was frightened by a ranger.

"He was sitting in the garden bed again, just snoozing there, and the ranger spooked him and he shot off," Mr Rennie said. "The ranger phoned me and I went home to grab Jack - I couldn't find him."

When the dog returned home later that afternoon, Mr Rennie secured him to a long lead and harness.

"I'm very relieved that he's home … he's fine - he's happy as," Mr Rennie said. "He's staying home now. He's still on medication, so I got a bit worried … his sore is not quite healed over yet."

Anyone with information about the attack is encouraged to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.