Euthanasia

jackie_a1

Yes, i said i had not pts a dog- i have pts other animals of mine and i don't disagree with you that it is awful. Having had one of my dogs die in a different way though- i don't think any one way an animal passes is any easier at all but thats JMO, i respect others feel differently. :hug:

(I don't feel i hijacked the thread either- i responded to the OPs post regarding sedation after recounting my own experience in my first post)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to have my dog pts many years ago. She was the perfect dog (as I kept telling the vet through all my crying) and I found it a very hard decision to make. But she had been hit by a car and had spinal damage and it wasn't really a decision if you know what I mean. She was all distorted and in pain. I'm crying now remembering it.

I stayed with her. I couldn't have not been there. She loved being touched so I could do that for her. I cried the whole time. No sedation, just the injection. She just went quietly.

I have 2 old dogs now and this is in the cards again at some stage during the next few years. Having been there with Mena all those years ago I think of the process as being quiet and painless (or in this case a release from pain) for the dog. I would be comfortable to take that approach again.

In the end I think it is something you do for them, rather than to them.

In the end I think it is something you do for them, rather than to them.

I couldn't agree with your more, I thought about it for nearly 3 years before my girl finally needed it (only because she lived far longer than would be expected), it's a very hard decision to make because you don't want to put them down if they're not suffering but sometimes it's hard to know. I decided it was time and I was on the phone asking a mobile vet to come out the next day to put my girl to sleep, as soon as I hung up I heard a thud in the lounge room and there she was paralized.

When my samoyed's back legs caved out at 13, my whole family accompanied him to the vet. I wish I'd known about house calls though- it wasn't at our regular vet clinic and the sterile atmosphere did affect the experience. My mum and sister chose not to stay in the room when the time for the injection came, my dad and I did. Had it been in our garden under the sun, I think all of us would have been present as I know my mum and sister are still haunted by that day. I didn't find it to be as traumatic as I thought- it was the first time I had a pet euthanised at the vet. His heartbeat was already sluggish and it was a peaceful passing.

As hard as it is letting a pet go, I would much rather have the opportunity to say adieu to a beloved friend than to come home or wake up and find that they have already gone. We have lost guinea pigs and rabbits that way and I still think about their unexpected deaths, whereas with Jasper, I only think of and appreciate the great times we shared.

Edited by Ms Genki

I have had to do it twice, the first time I went to the Vet and stayed with him, no way could I leave him

alone, he was 18yrs old and has always been there when I needed him .. if you know what I mean..

No fee was charged by my Vet, the second time I had to do it, the Vet offered to come out to my home,

this time my girl, who was 17yrs, again no fee was charged by my Vet.

I have had to do it twice, the first time I went to the Vet and stayed with him, no way could I leave him

alone, he was 18yrs old and has always been there when I needed him .. if you know what I mean..

No fee was charged by my Vet, the second time I had to do it, the Vet offered to come out to my home,

this time my girl, who was 17yrs, again no fee was charged by my Vet.

You must have a very nice vet, it would have made it so much easier for you :hug:

Yes I have stayed with the pets we had to have pts.

The most recent was our Malamute and that even had our vet crying, she was such an amazing girl.

She had to be sedated before because she was so big and even as ill as she was she made it hard. Gods that broke my heart.

Also while working as a vet nurse I helped put down many many dogs, not one of them thrashed or staggered around. Most went peacfully.

Yes I have stayed with the pets we had to have pts.

The most recent was our Malamute and that even had our vet crying, she was such an amazing girl.

She had to be sedated before because she was so big and even as ill as she was she made it hard. Gods that broke my heart.

Also while working as a vet nurse I helped put down many many dogs, not one of them thrashed or staggered around. Most went peacfully.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for vet nurses in these situations because the only reason you would become a vet nurse is because you love animals. I couldn't imagine what these people have to feel on a daily basis. I know my vet nurses care so much for my dogs and they know me when I phone them because of my dogs. They deserve a lot more appreciation than they probably get. I have just started fostering puppies which would otherwise be put to sleep and I can't imagine how awful it would be to be the person having to give the final injection (or the person who has to hold them down).

When it's been possible we have stayed with them.

Only one has fought it, a cat who was a fighter his whole life and half feral when we adopted him. I felt terrible because fighting seemed to indicate it wasn't time. But he wasn't eating, and looked dreadful, and had no hope of recovery. That experience was the first lesson that the right path isn't always a Hallmark moment path.

The most gutwrenching of all was our dog Buzzie. He was at an emergency overnight vet and she rang us at 4am to say that she felt he should be put to sleep right away for humane reasons. We were at least 45 minutes away by car as we live in a rural area. I asked her if it was reasonable to wait, she said that in her opinion it wasn't because he was clearly distressed and had no hope of recovery. A quick 1 minute chat with OH and we OK'd the euth. We were both gutted that we couldn't be there, and spent a lot of time over "whatifs".

One of the things that made that night so dire was that we went straight in anyway, knowing he was already gone but wanting to be there as soon as possible anyway. On the Barton Highway around the Capricorn Stud we hit a kangaroo right after it had been hit by a truck. The Roo's neck and head whipped up over our car's bonnet and made the whole drive in even more gruesome than it already was. I can still see it in my minds eye like it was yesterday.

No-one ever said bringing animals into your heart was easy.

The first pet I had to have euth was my cat. She was 3. She was in a bad way and needed her wings. I sat bawlling in the empty waiting room as the looked at her, then they come out and said, I'm sorry, theres nothing we can do for her" deep down I knew and stayed with her while she had the injection.

3 months later I recieved a letter in the mail from the same vet clinic, You cat is due for her booster. :rofl:

thats horrible, i have the same thing with my vets, we had a sick cat he ended up passing away 2 years ago on my birthday :cheer: the vet knew about the fact that he had died and still send out vaccination reminders etc...such a painful reminder to get in the mail

There is never any question of my husband and I not being present, 2 weeks ago we said good bye to our Bess she was 15 yeqrs old, her passing was so serene, I then spent a further few minutes with her by myself, told her to be free and young again. I left her sleepng. However the worst was when I had my Millie go to the bridge , she was only 6, that was the most heartbreaking experince we have ever been through but she also died in my arms and Iknew she was no longer in pain but running and sniffing as only my Millie knew how to. I think in every case it is a very individual choice, but my dogs never make that final journey alone.

Firstly really sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes we always stay, could never let them go out of this world without either me or my hubby by their side. It's one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do and no matter how many times you go through it it never gets any easier. But you put on a brave or not so brave face and you stay with them until their final breath.

They'd do it for us wouldn't they if the rolls were reversed.

Only one has fought it, a cat who was a fighter his whole life and half feral when we adopted him. I felt terrible because fighting seemed to indicate it wasn't time. But he wasn't eating, and looked dreadful, and had no hope of recovery. That experience was the first lesson that the right path isn't always a Hallmark moment path.

The most gutwrenching of all was our dog Buzzie. He was at an emergency overnight vet and she rang us at 4am to say that she felt he should be put to sleep right away for humane reasons. We were at least 45 minutes away by car as we live in a rural area. I asked her if it was reasonable to wait, she said that in her opinion it wasn't because he was clearly distressed and had no hope of recovery. A quick 1 minute chat with OH and we OK'd the euth. We were both gutted that we couldn't be there, and spent a lot of time over "whatifs".

One of the things that made that night so dire was that we went straight in anyway, knowing he was already gone but wanting to be there as soon as possible anyway. On the Barton Highway around the Capricorn Stud we hit a kangaroo right after it had been hit by a truck. The Roo's neck and head whipped up over our car's bonnet and made the whole drive in even more gruesome than it already was. I can still see it in my minds eye like it was yesterday.

:laugh: :D

I wish I'd had the choice to Euth my husky.

She was my heart dog.

We were training in the yard. I was a bit of a spaz and managed to drop the leash. She ran.

I followed her up the street from a distance. I didn't want to encourage a game of chasey.

I lost sight of her, thought she went into a yard. So i ran into 3 peoples yards. She wasn't in any of them.

Up ahead I saw a green car following her. She was clearly scared and trying to escape the threatening car.

I got to the side of the road, just in time to watch her run across the road.

I watched in horror as a speeding truck ran over her head.

She came out ok, somehow. Screaming like all hell. I ran over to her.

She could still walk, despite wobbling. But she was bleeding from head wounds.

Some kind stranger rushed us to the after hours vet.

The vet said she looked fine and should make it through the night.

But she died of internal bleeding.

Had I have known that her chances were grim I would have had her Euthed and been there for her final minutes.

Her last memories were of strangers and being caged up. :D

When I had to have my big rescue rott boy put put to sleep, he had inoperable stomach cancer, I sat on the floor with his beautiful head in my lap and talked him into his final sleep. I wanted my face and my voice to be the last thing he saw and heard, and I think it helped us both.

Over many many years we have helped our beautiful furkids to cross over the rainbow bridge.

There is never a time when it hasnt been hard. Never a time when I havent shed a bucket load of tears and still do. Even thinking about them now, tears are welling up. We had one Bulldog who died in her sleep during the early hours one morning. She was dad's heart dog and he found her lying by the warm fireplace in the morning.

I get very emotional when it comes time to say goodbye.

There was a day that I said goodbye to two of my beautiful Bulldogs. One of whom was in for exploratory surgery and I was there through the whole process. Due to her condition I chose not to let her wake up.

My life was shattered that day.

When my bulldogs died the vet sent me a bulldog-themed card, saying sorry for my loss and they hoped they did everything they could to help their passing peacefully. {They were passed over at the vet's with me}

It made me cry, and even though that was almost a decade ago I still have the card.

:):(

I wish I'd had the choice to Euth my husky.

She was my heart dog.

We were training in the yard. I was a bit of a spaz and managed to drop the leash. She ran.

I followed her up the street from a distance. I didn't want to encourage a game of chasey.

I lost sight of her, thought she went into a yard. So i ran into 3 peoples yards. She wasn't in any of them.

Up ahead I saw a green car following her. She was clearly scared and trying to escape the threatening car.

I got to the side of the road, just in time to watch her run across the road.

I watched in horror as a speeding truck ran over her head.

She came out ok, somehow. Screaming like all hell. I ran over to her.

She could still walk, despite wobbling. But she was bleeding from head wounds.

Some kind stranger rushed us to the after hours vet.

The vet said she looked fine and should make it through the night.

But she died of internal bleeding.

Had I have known that her chances were grim I would have had her Euthed and been there for her final minutes.

Her last memories were of strangers and being caged up. :)

OMG, what a nightmare you have gone through. So sorry.

I have always stayed with my pets, I could never bear the thought of them being held by someone unfamiliar as they passed. I used to be a vet nurse and played the part of the stranger holding the beloved family pet as it was given its wings while the family waited outside or had left countless times. A few of these animals were really confused and scared, peering at the door waiting for their owners to come in again as I held up the vein and stroked them. A few of them particularly stick in my mind and I will never forget their big sad eyes. It's understandable that some people are too sad to be with their pets as they go.. but having seen it first hand I dont think I could ever do it - no matter how sad I am it will never stop me from being with my pet as it takes its last breaths.