Dew Claw Removal

Ive got my pup booked in to get desexed tomorrow, Ive asked them to remove her dew claws as well (they are only on the front feet). The person I spoke to on the phone was trying to discourage me from having the dews removed but I couldnt understand her very well as she was asian, are there any problems with removing dews on a pup this age?

The reason why I want them removed in the first place is because my JRT had heaps of trouble with hers. being such an active breed she would always tear the nail off so last year I opted to have hers removed at age 7, there were no questions asked but this was an old country vet if that makes any difference. I figure while she is already under anesthetic she may as well have them off

Lexi will be doing agility when she is big enough and old enough and maybe flyball too, will having her dews removed affect her performance in dog sports?

Gypsy has front dew claws and they haven't caused any trouble at all, despite the frequent zoomies and general stupid behaviour they haven't been injured

My understanding is that surgery on dew claws at an older age is much more painful (if not more difficult) as they have fully grown into a toe with bone and connecting tendons and what have you, unlike when they're a few days old and removed at that time.

As for agility, the only thing I could find said that IF you dog's dew claws touch the ground while they're running, removing them could disadvantage them in sports like agility where speed/quick turns are required.

I'm on the fence on this one, pros and cons on both sides.

I have 2 large active dogs with front dewclaws and they have had no problems with them at all. All my previous dogs have had them removed. The only difference I can tell overall is that the ones with dewclaws on do use the them in running and to hold things and in grooming themselves. But if they jump up at all dewclaws can scratch you which could be a consideration if you have small children (yes, I know jumping's a training issue :thumbsup: ). Agility and lure coursing people I know like them left on.

Hmmm, maybe Ill let it go then, I was going to ask them about it when I take her in anyway

She doesnt jump up on anyone, I didnt tollerate that from day 1 lol, in fact if she was another JRT I wouldnt even hesitate about getting them done, but she is just so different from Tess (for obvious reasons) Im wondering if hers wont cause an issue. Another reason why I was wanting them done is because Tess is so horrible about getting her nails done (I did all the right things with her, and she used to be fine as a pup, but suddenly one day she wouldnt let us near her feet) I figure its 2 less nails to try and cut, and those nails dont wear down naturally like the rest of them

Lincoln has never remembered having dew claws so he dosen't miss them, Lilly my old girl ripped one of hers out jumping out a hydrobath when she was 5 or 6. Toby has been doing agility for 10 months with his dew claws which are particulalrly bad and don't tough the ground at all and has not had any accidents yet.

It would depend on the actual dew claw. Some have dew claws that have no actual joint, but are just attached to the skin, so they flap around a lot more and are more prone to being hurt. Removing the ones without the joint are really simple, however taking one off that is a proper joint, is essentially an amputation.

On breeds that are regularly groomed, it might be more encouraged (even if there's a joint) as they can apparently be difficult to clip around. But on a Golden, if there's a joint, I would personally leave them.

I've also noticed on breeds like JRTs they tend to be larger (proportionately) and stick out more - so look more likely to cause problems. On the goldens (for example) that I've seen, they're quite tucked in and don't stick out or catch on things

I've also noticed on breeds like JRTs they tend to be larger (proportionately) and stick out more - so look more likely to cause problems. On the goldens (for example) that I've seen, they're quite tucked in and don't stick out or catch on things

Good point, so like the nail is the same size but because the dog is smaller it appears larger

Hey if this sale falls through could I have dibs on crate games??

Cheers

Good point, so like the nail is the same size but because the dog is smaller it appears larger

I know I've seen some dogs where I've thought "oh god, that's an awful accident waiting to happen" looking at the dew claws, but other dogs where I'd never even noticed they had their dew claws still.

It is an issue if you can't trim her claws easily though. Gypsy and I have a rather inefficient system where she gets a small (very small) treat for every nail I clip, otherwise she yanks them away once the clipper is half-closed, which is going to end badly one day. It's a slow process but we have an understanding now, at least, and she'll come over and lie down at my feet when she sees the nail clippers, so she is quite good in many ways, just demands payment per nail :thumbsup:

She won't let anyone else touch her nails though, food or no food - the vet tried to clip her nails one day :D for about 10 seconds but she turned into a giant wriggling squirming dog

Traditionally they are left on Goldens but removed from JRTs

I only wish her silly breeders got them removed when she got docked, would have saved a lot of hassle later on

I cut Lexis nails yesterday and she was quite good about it, I have a decent set of clippers so they are nice and sharp and they have a cutting guide so you cant make them too short, only problem is she thought it was a game and I nearly snipped her tongue once or twice lol

My dogs have front ones they don't cause any problems they lay pretty flat against the leg but I did get my sibes rear one's removed at desexing as they stuck out at right angles so were an accident waiting to happen as he's pretty active.

We remove ours .

I have enough severe scarring from boarders who never trim dew claws big & small.the biggest been a 5inch slice around my thigh,peeled open like a banana.

I do now of goldies who have ripped them out after getting caught on fencing

Many vets prefer not to do it & if not removed correctly when older can cause issues.

Years ago, when we had a dane, we had his dew claws removed when he was an adult, because he was always getting them caught and tearing them, so the best thing was to take them off. His was like an amputation. The vet explained that they were like an extra toe. On the other hand, with our latest mini schnauzer, his were removed by the breeder, and apparently, weren't properly done and grew back. We had them removed when he was desexed at around 7 months. It seems that they are done at an early age, or you have to wait until the dog is a little older. .

Our Labby cross has her front dew claws and they don't seem to give her any problems at all. In fact I have watched her use them to hold her bones with and also to groom her face with so I think they are a pretty necessary tool for her. The nails don't seem to get too long either!

Guest belgian.blue

My first English Pointer had her taken off as a young pup .. no problems.

Second EP had hers left on [same breeder as my first girl] and she always had trouble and in the end tore one off badly. She had to have them both taken off and about a week in bandages at around the age of two.

Current EP, Badger, has had his taken off as a young pup.

Ivy has hers still but as there is so much fur, they aren't a problem.