Newfoundlands - Protective?

I have been reading a lot of dog books and surfing the Net to make sure taht we cghoose the right dog for our family and at this stage we are leaning heavily towards a Leonberger or a Newfoundland. Several of the books I have read say that Newfies are excellent family dogs very easy-goig and protective. I have met several Newfs and would not have thought of them as being particularly protective but I am ready to stand corrected.

Any breeders or owners have an opinion on this?

I have been reading a lot of dog books and surfing the Net to make sure taht we cghoose the right dog for our family and at this stage we are leaning heavily towards a Leonberger or a Newfoundland. Several of the books I have read say that Newfies are excellent family dogs very easy-goig and protective. I have met several Newfs and would not have thought of them as being particularly protective but I am ready to stand corrected.

I own Chessies which are descendents of Newfs and quite protective, so it's believable for sure.

I'm not sure, but I used to groom a Newf (I was a mobile groomer) and after the first time, the owners would book an appointment for when they were at work and I'd just walk into the front yard and catch her! Not at all protective of her house! LOL!

Friedsn breed newfs & we boarda few & never saw a protective side but havings aid that these dogs where well mannered & my friends are in full control of there dogs.

They will certainly bark but i guess its what people interpret protective as

I showed Newfs before the Sammies and I noticed that a few could be protective but most didnt really seem to care less.

Their bark is very impressive and I suspect that more people would be put off by that then the dog actually doing something.

That is kind of my thinking too - I cant really imagine a Newfie actually baring teeth and growling at an itruder but again, I have no experience to back that up

Chessies are a protective breed but not overtly or noisly just physically, they will put thier body between the threat and what they need to protect (for Chessies normally the ducks they brought in or the hunters hide, or even a person) and just stare the threat down. Protective does not mean baring teeth and growling (to me) just using thier body and eyes to send a message.

Edited by valleyCBR

My newfs are great watch dogs and can be protective. On one ocasion my hubby sliped this dogs lead over the car tow ball, standing with him, while we were doing some show training on the front lawn. I was stacking a young pup and a jogger ran up the path very near me, he barked , broke his collar and all 80 kg bounded up to the poor very frightened jogger and stood between me and the guy barking. He never even looked like touching this guy but gave him a fright. This dog is actually a very placid , laid back boy. He is in no way dominant with dogs or people, he just loves his mum. Newfs dont have an agresive nature but certainly a warning bark and sized to back it up. They love their families and as a rescue dog have the brains to sum up a situation and sence distress.

Newfs are more of a guardian breed, not to be mistaken for protective really.

Go for a swim and watch one try and drag you out of the water or swim alongside you waiting for you to take hold of the tail and be dragged to shore.

Most of mine did this. Wasn't taught. It was breed behaviour.

They have a big bark, which is sufficient in most situations.

Some friends with little kids had one - if the kids screamed, the dog was on full alert. If someone was playing with the kids and they screamed, the dog always got between the kids and the person. Nothing ever happened ............ but I think the kids would have been safe in any situation. I think they are more protective of people than property. But that's my only experience.

...then there is Nana in Peter Pan :thumbsup:

I always felt very safe with my girl. I know her father, who was a very gentle loving boy, didn't hesitate to intervene when his owner was threatened once. If it wasn't for the grooming I would have another in a heartbeat. I miss my Leah :thumbsup:

Growing up, our Newfie girl was gentle with everyone but a salesman turned up one day and there was NO WAY she was going to let him in the gate - she meant *BUSINESS* barking ferociously and charging at him repeatedly, peeling off about 8 feet away and then charging again! :laugh: :laugh:

Dad couldn't stop her - she was dead-set something was wrong about this guy :( he had to leave.....

Now months later, we found out that the police had pulled up this guy along with a few others and they had a map of the entire suburb (actually 3 suburbs) with "X marks a dog" and the homes either side of the dog property also crossed off......every home without a dog or a neighbouring property with a dog, was BURGLED! :thumbsup::eek:

I would say that Newfoundlands are very protective when they absolutely need to be. :D

I believe they can be protective. I once had to look after a Newfie who attacked his owner and was being rehomed. The dogs owners were very soft and treated him like baby, then one day the dog went to lift his leg on the couch and the owner gave him a kick in the bum, the dog turned on him and chased owner through house and bit the mans arm quite badly. The dog was fine while we had him at the kennels but we did warn potential owners why he was being rehomed as the owners did not tell them. It all ended well, experienced Newfie owners took him on and never had a problem. I realise this was not protective behaviour, just a big strong dog with no rules being spoilt. I think all breeds of dogs can be protective and they know when to be.

I have owned newfs for thirty years and they are protective to person, not property. And they seem to know and be sensitive to peoples character. Mine are extremely social and great friends with most people. But there are certain people that are "not friends"........They tend to not be friendly to. I have had two incidences out of two seperate dogs where they have actually growled and stood in front of me to warn someone off. once was at an ATM, when some one else was being hassled for cash and i went to their aid ( I know stupid of me) And the other was, we live Rural, our dogs are usually quite good when people arrive, I just say "enough" and they are good. But one time, my big girl would not stop and stood at the gate growling, so I told the person, sorry I cannot let you use the phone.

I have one rescue newf now, who is very sensitive to aggressive people, but they are easy to control when obedience trained. i just listen to my dogs.

I would hate to see an out of control newf go at people. In my eyes they should be well trained as they are a work dog. Well socialized a newf is a wonderful dog. An out of control newf is a menace and scary. Which is what my last rescue was. It took a lot of re-training to get her where she is now. I walk my two at heel everywhere. They are a kid and people magnet and are very attracted to people, so useless as guard dogs for property :thumbsup: But they are very sensitive to character of people and absolutely adore their owners/family

I also have a friend with a newf, her three year old daughter was saved from the a dam by the newf........Newfs love to keep you out of water and rescue you

Edited by newfsie

I have owned newfs for thirty years and they are protective to person, not property. And they seem to know and be sensitive to peoples character. Mine are extremely social and great friends with most people. But there are certain people that are "not friends"........They tend to not be friendly to. I have had two incidences out of two seperate dogs where they have actually growled and stood in front of me to warn someone off. once was at an ATM, when some one else was being hassled for cash and i went to their aid ( I know stupid of me) And the other was, we live Rural, our dogs are usually quite good when people arrive, I just say "enough" and they are good. But one time, my big girl would not stop and stood at the gate growling, so I told the person, sorry I cannot let you use the phone.

I have one rescue newf now, who is very sensitive to aggressive people, but they are easy to control when obedience trained. i just listen to my dogs.

I would hate to see an out of control newf go at people. In my eyes they should be well trained as they are a work dog. Well socialized a newf is a wonderful dog. An out of control newf is a menace and scary. Which is what my last rescue was. It took a lot of re-training to get her where she is now. I walk my two at heel everywhere. They are a kid and people magnet and are very attracted to people, so useless as guard dogs for property :thumbsup: But they are very sensitive to character of people and absolutely adore their owners/family

I agree with you totally..

A few years back I was assisting a Vet with some horse work on a property, we were there for an hour or so and the whole time a Newf bitch was laying on the lawn near the house yard fence just snoozing (watching us intently), and from time to time wandering over and getting a pat.

When we finished I walked over near the fence to admire the beautiful imitation wood cabin cubby house that the clients little daughter was playing in, I had a large black blur appear and place itself between me and the child and I can tell you no one would have got close to that child. As soon as the mother caught up

the dog again lay down. That little girl had a wonderful playmate guardian.

Her mother told us that the child was ushered back into the house yard by the dog if she ever tried to wander.

Hi Sophie and Gracie, Newfs can be very protective. I nearly got a Newfie, but it fell through, and then I discovered leonbergers and have never looked back. Now I own and breed leonbergers and I am happy to answer any questions about leonbergers. We have quite a lot of them and they are all family pets and come into the house with us and have turns at sleeping inside as well. I fully trust them to protect me if anything threatened me. They are very much dogs who love nothing better than to be your constant companion. They indeed will protect you if they sense there is harm coming your way. Leonbergers are also water dogs with webbed feet. If you want to read more about them and ask more questions, feel free to look at our website leonburns.co.nz Warm Regards, Elsha.