Man Jailed For Starving Dog

blissirritated

A MAN who slowly starved his dog to death was sentenced to a month in prison yesterday.

Kenneth William Blake, 22, of George Town, was sentenced in the Launceston Magistrates Court.

It was believed to be the first time anyone in Tasmania had been jailed for animal cruelty.

The court had heard Blake did not know the crossbred dog named Bart had died until RSPCA inspectors visited the emaciated canine, which was tied in the backyard.

A vet said an autopsy showed it had been starving for four months.

Williams was banned for owning a domestic animal for 10 years.

RSPCA Tasmania welcomed the sentence, with president Paul Swiatkowski saying the case was horrific.

"This is the sort of strong message that needs to be sent to the community," he said.

"The RSPCA has been disturbed by the leniency of the courts in some serious cruelty cases in recent years."

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/...sofjustice.html

Good.

Lots of dog lovers in prison. :(

I agree... But, I reckon he should've got a much longer sentence and been made to work in a prison that trained assistance dogs for people. Maybe that way he may learn some love and compassion for animals and how to treat them the right way.

Good.

I agree... But, I reckon he should've got a much longer sentence and been made to work in a prison that trained assistance dogs for people. Maybe that way he may learn some love and compassion for animals and how to treat them the right way.

I wouldn't let him anywhere near assistance dogs. He's demonstrated a complete lack of empathy or care. Why give him another chance to be cruel?

Good.

I wouldn't let him anywhere near assistance dogs. He's demonstrated a complete lack of empathy or care. Why give him another chance to be cruel?

Because they're supervised and trained in prison, I doubt that this guy would learn any other way. I'll bet he has another animal before ten years is up and how will he treat it? Probably the same way he treated this poor pooch. Education seems to be one of the best ways to go.... JMO

Because they're supervised and trained in prison, I doubt that this guy would learn any other way. I'll bet he has another animal before ten years is up and how will he treat it? Probably the same way he treated this poor pooch. Education seems to be one of the best ways to go.... JMO

Most prison dog assistance programs I've heard of won't allow prisoners convicted of violent crimes, cruelty or abuse anywhere near dogs.

You don't need to do an education program to know you're meant to feed a dog. You merely need to give one iota of thought to the animal. This was not a matter of lack of knowledge but callous indifference to the suffering of an animal entirely at his mercy. No amount of education would fix this.

Edited by poodlefan

How can a dog starve for that long ? Seems an awful long time I think they are exaggerating.

The poor little mate.

A month in jail. Way to go Tasmania for sending a tough message :(

Probably fed piss poor amounts over a period of time and then nothing at the latter end of it's days, wouldn't take long for an already emaciated dog to go down hill real quick once the food stopped completely.

Poor dog, at peace now and owner got what he deserved...

Edited by Aziah

Yeh your probably right.

I don't think its about teaching him that a dog needs to be fed, but maybe he will learn compassion for dogs.

30 days jail is no big deal people do that for unpaid fines. Also the 10 year ban doesn't mean a thing if he wants another dog he will get one and they will not know a thing about it. But if he can be shown thats dogs are mans best friend, dogs deserve to be treated right, ect then that could be the beginning of a sustainable solution.

Yeh your probably right.

I don't think its about teaching him that a dog needs to be fed, but maybe he will learn compassion for dogs.

30 days jail is no big deal people do that for unpaid fines. Also the 10 year ban doesn't mean a thing if he wants another dog he will get one and they will not know a thing about it. But if he can be shown thats dogs are mans best friend, dogs deserve to be treated right, ect then that could be the beginning of a sustainable solution.

Your opinion of the human race is clearly higher than mine LP. Someone who'd allow a dog to starve to death has an emotional deficit that no amount of experience will overcome IMO. This kind of lack of empathy is the stuff of budding sociopaths IMO.

Most prison dog assistance programs I've heard of won't allow prisoners convicted of violent crimes, cruelty or abuse anywhere near dogs.

You don't need to do an education program to know you're meant to feed a dog. You merely need to give one iota of thought to the animal. This was not a matter of lack of knowledge but callous indifference to the suffering of an animal entirely at his mercy. No amount of education would fix this.

This is right. Prisoners convicted of violent crimes against people....that are cruel & callous...often were sadistically cruel to animals when young.

When 4 soldiers were convicted up north for unspeakable cruelty to a kitten, they were ordered by the court to do voluntary work at the local animal shelter. Who said, 'No bloody way!' or something similar.

The Army threw them out.

Indifference to an animal's suffering or deliberately causing it... are signs of lack of empathy. Likely to be the way they'd treat humans, too.

Get him a psych assessment while in prison... but don't give him animals.

Edited by mita

A MAN who slowly starved his dog to death was sentenced to a month in prison yesterday.

Kenneth William Blake, 22, of George Town, was sentenced in the Launceston Magistrates Court.

It was believed to be the first time anyone in Tasmania had been jailed for animal cruelty.

The court had heard Blake did not know the crossbred dog named Bart had died until RSPCA inspectors visited the emaciated canine, which was tied in the backyard.

A vet said an autopsy showed it had been starving for four months.

Williams was banned for owning a domestic animal for 10 years.

RSPCA Tasmania welcomed the sentence, with president Paul Swiatkowski saying the case was horrific.

"This is the sort of strong message that needs to be sent to the community," he said.

"The RSPCA has been disturbed by the leniency of the courts in some serious cruelty cases in recent years."

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/...sofjustice.html

A Jail term at last!

Water only for the month would be humane.

Edited by Jesterbelle

That poor poor dog. It makes me feel sick to think of what it went through.

This is a young man who behaves like this!!! I agree with the comment here - he is a budding sociopath, just think what he'll do to people in the next few years.

At least they imposed a jail sentence at last, not much one but a step in the right direction. I'll be noting down his name and keeping an eye out re him having dogs in the future - I'm moving close to where he lives.

What a shame they prison isn't allowed to starve him for the duration of his stay. Would save a couple of tax payer dollars each day.

If only.....unfortunately that ain't going to happen unless the other prisoners instigate it. With a bit of luck he will be picked out as fair game by the other inmates and his life will be hell for a month. Ah well..... :rofl:

What is wrong with some people - whatever he suffers he deserves it....a...hole :laugh:

Poor dog, so sad. RIP