Meet My Foster Girl .. And A Bit Of A Vent For Good Measure

dear yellowgirl, thank you for perservering and opening your life to saving this beautiful creature...

some peeps need to be slapped frankly, but then sometimes, what's the firkken point *shrugs*

one day i'll have the courage to own a crested ... i adore them, they reside in my heart :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, thank you so much for your support everyone :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of putting together a fund raising idea to help cover Banshee's vet bills. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting it as it might be seen as marketing rather than fund raising. It's an idea that can help other rescuers and foster carers as well :thumbsup: . I'll post it in the general section shortly

xxx

Again, thank you so much for your support everyone :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of putting together a fund raising idea to help cover Banshee's vet bills. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting it as it might be seen as marketing rather than fund raising. It's an idea that can help other rescuers and foster carers as well :thumbsup: . I'll post it in the general section shortly

xxx

yellowgirl are you a foster carer for a rescue group ?

No, it's just me, I'm not part of a particular group. Would that make a difference? I do fundraising and collect food donations for Adelaide rescues through my shop. I don't want to dip into anything that's been donated for other people, so the t-shirt idea seemed like a good way to go, and I can include others in it as well.

What a shame thereare so many "people" breeding cresteds now and many are fear biters and agressive little mites ( bad lines) Good luck with your girl very sad that cresteds have gone this way, too many people wanting a unique looking dog, the Cresteds and Xolo have gone the same way in the USA. Great work with rescue of her, you take everybodys cast offs and rescues GREAT WORK YG you are an Angel

:rainbowbridge:

PS She looks so sweet!

Here’s my little Chinese Crested foster girl, Banshee (re-named ‘cause she’s a screamer) ...

banshee1.jpgbanshee1-1.jpg

After being messed around for 2 months by this little girl's owner, I finally have Banshee in my care. The owner first came into my shop in February and asked me if I wanted her dog, and if I didn't, she was going to advertise her (un-desexed) in the paper. I was worried that she could be picked up by a puppy farmer or BYB. At the time I said I could probably foster, desex and re-home her as long as she got along with my dogs and wasn't in season. As the weeks, then months, went by we made several appointments to introduce the dogs and she continually cancelled or didn't show up. She rarely answered her phone when I tried to ring her and didn't respond to text messages. When I did speak to her she told me conflicting stories.

She also has a young un-desexed male pug x at home, so I was concerned that the more time that passed the closer Banshee would get to coming into season. A week ago, on Sunday night, when I finally got her to turn up to the park for the initial meet-up so her dog could meet my crew, she arrived half an hour late, with a friend, both dressed to the nines with the hair extentions and the stillettos, on their way for a night out. It became obvious that the lady had plans and had no intentions of taking the dog home with her. Banshee was very obviously in season.

Amongst other gob-smacking statements, the owner said she had no idea that Banshee was in season (she was very surprised when I showed her the enormous bleeding golf ball at Banshee's rear), couldn't remember if she'd microchipped her, wasn't sure of her age ('one or two'), didn't think she'd been in season before (!), wasn't sure what dry food she ate and didn't know when her last vaccination, heartworm or worming was. I'm guessing that Banshee wasn't a loved, pampered, indoor dog as the owner said. If she lived indoors the owner would absolutely know that this dog was in season!

She also brought Banshee to the park with nothing, no lead, bowl, toys, blanket, paperwork ... nothing.

Luckily the dogs got on okay, but it's been quite an ordeal since Sunday night. The owner said she was an indoor dog and was fully toilet trained ... well, she's not. She also limps a bit and frequently lifts her back left leg when walking. She stands and walks a bit hunched up, and walks with short, quick steps. Her first few poops were jet black and she has several scars and scabs on her feet and lower legs. She was scared of the lead, is extremely wary of other people and is a fear biter. Her collar had to be peeled off as it was stuck to her neck with black grime. Her skin hasn't been exfoliated or moisturised in a very long time. And of course she's in season.

She's fine with me, but has already bitten two people, Sarge's breeder and the vet. She gets scared very easily and goes into some sort of panic frenzy, thrashing her head and body around and screaming at the top of her lungs. If anyone's hand is near her during this time, she will bite it. She tries to bite first, and if that doesn't work she goes into the frenzy.

At the vet's she also peed during one of her frenzies. The vet said she'd wait until Banshee is under anaesthetic for desexing and then she'll do her vaccinations, microchip (she isn't chipped), health check, etc. She's pretty sure Banshee's back leg has a cruciate injury and says not to walk her just yet. I've got her on glucosamine and condroitin powder.

At the moment I'm bringing Banshee into the shop with me as I don't want to leave her home alone with my crew just yet. I bought a nylon crate for her to sit in at the shop, but when I went to serve a customer she screeched and tore at the crate until she broke through it. After I repaired it, she broke through it again.

Apart from what her former owner has turned her into, Banshee is a gorgeous girl, affectionate (with me) and very smart. I've been using Cesar Milan's 'calm/assertive' techniques and she's responding really well to them at home. I'm not sure what sort of predicament we're in now because I don’t know if I can re-home her with her fear biting, panic frenzies and possible cruciate injury.

She's getting along very well with my 3 Cresteds, although she sometimes pesters Sarge until he snaps at her (I'm assuming this is because she's in season? .. Sarge is desexed by the way) The vet says it will be at least another two weeks before Banshee can be desexed, so I won't leave them all alone together until after she's been done.

Here's some pics of her at home ...

apologies for the lack of colour co-ordination, Banshee is wearing Sarge's blue shirt that's too small for him, and Sarge is wearing Madeline's pink shirt as his were in the wash.

feeding1.jpgallfour1.jpgbp1.jpgmpb1.jpg

Any advice or suggestions are welcome...

Oh no, what a sad start this little girl had. It seems so obvious that the owner only wanted her as a puppy - perhaps even used her as a handbag accesory, then when she was too big - out in the yard she goes, never to be seen of again.

She is absolutly gorgeous, as are all your dogs. Your an absolute angel for taking care of her, as it seems she will have some issues. Poor little girl, I love the pic of her snuggling up to your other dog. So sweet! I think you should keep her, she will get attached to you!

I have had a similar experience taking on a dog (what I thought was temporarily) that was worse than described to me and his vet bills were also large due to complications with desexing so I know what you are feeling. Wanna swap? hehe joking.

Just looking at your photo makes me laugh, the term little black duck comes to mind.

I hope you're not too over whelmed and can handle 4 dogs in the future if your situation changes which is something to consider also.

She still needs a while to settle in and realise the world is not such a horrible place and perhaps she will fit in just fine :o

Edited by GotAnyBlacker

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone :hug:.

Just a quick update on my girl :) . She's now fully desexed, microchipped, wormed, heartwormed and vaccinated :mad .

The vet thinks Banshee may have some cruciate damage to her back left leg, but nothing too bad and to just wait and see for the moment. She says to just keep her on the glucosamine/condroitin powder and see how she goes. I also have her on the Vet's All Natural Joint Formula. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, just holds it up a lot and often trots around on three legs.

Apparently quite a few other people knew before I did, but it seems evident now that Banshee isn't going anywhere ... she's part of our little crew now and she's staying with me :)

She's doing really well so far ;) . She still needs quite a lot of work to reduce her fear responses, I've been carefully letting her meet my family, friends, neighbours and shop customers and she will accept treats and pats if they are very slow and quiet with her. She's had some bad reactions to a few people, backing into the corner and screaming, peeing on one occasion, but luckily she hasn't bitten anyone.

I want to say a big thanks to Kelpiehoundmum who took the time to sit on the shop floor and give pats and treats to Banshee :) . Banshee responded like she didn't have a care in the world, just wanted to make friends ;) . Thanks also to Westiemum and a couple of others who's names (so sorry!) escape me at the moment - but I know who you are, and I thank you for taking the time to interact positively with this little girl :) . It's all helping :hug:

Here's a few piccies of the 'Crestie Crew' at home ...

2004_0129may160004.jpg2004_0129may160009.jpg2004_0129may160016.jpg2004_0129may160013.jpg

xxx

Edited by yellowgirl

OMG!! They sure know how to cuddle into each other - what a beautiful photo.

Hmmm ..... first of all you had only two. Then you heard of Penny so you thought you'd help --- :hug::) You definitely couldn't have three dogs :)

Then you heard of Banshee so you thought you'd help --- ;) ;) You definitely couldn't have four dogs :eek::eek:

Yellowgirl, you is HOOKED big time. :):)

I reckon they are four very happy and lucky little creatures. :mad:hug:

Well done, Banshee has certainly found herself the right place to be. Yellowgirl, I too would be a failed foster mother :mad Nice bunch of "furkids" you have. Happy to pop into the shop if you need more people who are calm around her.

one lucky little doggy she is

with winter coming it is great she has someone who will give her the protection she needs

pity about the fearbiting

that is indeed a bummer but maybe she can live and learn or if not

still get a crack at life with you

well done

cute pics