Help! Andy's Pee'd On The Bed... Twice!

Hi Everyone,

Really need the wisdom of the DOL collective again... :(

Firstly, no lectures please about dogs not sleeping on your bed - I really don't need it at this time of night and this is the culture and routine at my place anyway and has been for years...

I feel like I'm about to cry... I have a dog with a serious ACL injury who is needing incredible levels of supervision, I've had the week from hell, exhausted, done piles of housework today and now twice tonight I've gone in to a large wee patch on my bed... the first time the mattress protector saved it, so grumble grumble, strip the bed, throw in the wash, change the sheets... a couple of hours later I'm ready for bed and there's another wet patch on the bed... and of course its gone through to the mattress this time :D . (On Thursday he wee'd in the kitchen just after I left for work - at least I'm fairly sure it was him - how do I know? I went back for something I'd forgotten and there was a huge warm puddle next to the back of the kitchen cupboards, after I corralled them in the kitchen while I was at work to stop the old boy with the ACL problem jumping on and off couches and beds).

Some background... although I didn't see him do it I'm sure its Andy my 5 year old rescue who I've had for 16 months. (The other two have never done this before and its started, on and off since Andy arrived) He has a mild form of focal epilepsy (cerebellar localised head shaking only) but I haven't seen a seizure of any type since November last year (although I realise that doesn't mean he's not having small seizures I'm not seeing) and I realise it might be connected with that. Although it also seems to happen in cooler weather when the grass out the back is wet underfoot - the whooosie doesn't seem to like getting his feet wet! Maybe that's the problem? (I'm confident he doesn't have a UTI, but will get a sample and check with the vet anyway ASAP).

Anyone like a 5 year old westie?? Going cheap!! :) Before he disappears, never to be seen again?? :(

Seriously, I really need some advice as I'm starting to find this all too high maintenance (I feel like Sarah, my girl westie and I should simply move out and leave the boys to it!)

How do I solve this when I don't actually ever seem to catch him in the act?? (One thing - he's a genuinely street smart, clever young man!)

Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

Really need the wisdom of the DOL collective again... :(

Firstly, no lectures please about dogs not sleeping on your bed - I really don't need it at this time of night and this is the culture and routine at my place anyway and has been for years...

I feel like I'm about to cry... I have a dog with a serious ACL injury who is needing incredible levels of supervision, I've had the week from hell, exhausted, done piles of housework today and now twice tonight I've gone in to a large wee patch on my bed... the first time the mattress protector saved it, so grumble grumble, strip the bed, throw in the wash, change the sheets... a couple of hours later I'm ready for bed and there's another wet patch on the bed... and of course its gone through to the mattress this time :D . (On Thursday he wee'd in the kitchen just after I left for work - at least I'm fairly sure it was him - how do I know? I went back for something I'd forgotten and there was a huge warm puddle next to the back of the kitchen cupboards, after I corralled them in the kitchen while I was at work to stop the old boy with the ACL problem jumping on and off couches and beds).

Some background... although I didn't see him do it I'm sure its Andy my 5 year old rescue who I've had for 16 months. (The other two have never done this before and its started, on and off since Andy arrived) He has a mild form of focal epilepsy (cerebellar localised head shaking only) but I haven't seen a seizure of any type since November last year (although I realise that doesn't mean he's not having small seizures I'm not seeing) and I realise it might be connected with that. Although it also seems to happen in cooler weather when the grass out the back is wet underfoot - the whooosie doesn't seem to like getting his feet wet! Maybe that's the problem? (I'm confident he doesn't have a UTI, but will get a sample and check with the vet anyway ASAP).

Anyone like a 5 year old westie?? Going cheap!! :) Before he disappears, never to be seen again?? :(

Seriously, I really need some advice as I'm starting to find this all too high maintenance (I feel like Sarah, my girl westie and I should simply move out and leave the boys to it!)

How do I solve this when I don't actually ever seem to catch him in the act?? (One thing - he's a genuinely street smart, clever young man!)

Thoughts?

I would be crating him, and popping him off to the Vet for a good going over for possible issues.

Allowing him free run is obviously not suitable for now.

Crate him when you cannot supervise including overnight

Close all doors to bedrooms etc

teach him to toilet on command and get into a routine of taking him out several times per day to toilet - don't let him back in until he has toileted. You have to be with him so that you can add a command and reward.

Edited by frufru

Erik is a wuss about getting his precious little pawses wet and abruptly decided that why bother going through all that discomfort when he could just go inside? My answer to that was "Because I have cookies and you don't get one until you water the grass rather than the carpet." Took him about two days of me standing out in the yard with him at night until he went for him to catch on and now we no longer have this problem. At least it was quick and easy to fix.

I agree with Perse, remove the opportunity before it drives you nuts.

One comment that may be completely irrelevant to your situation, but that I will throw into the mix anyway. The only dog of mine that ever did it did so not to me, but just once to the person who was housesitting her while I was overseas. I think for her it was a playing out of anxiety. Perhaps the rescue boy is feeling your stress a bit. I may be right off the point though.

Edited by Diva

Thanks everyone - good suggestions and I appreciate the sensible words - hard to see sense at midnight when you're changing a second set of clean sheets...

Diva thanks for the 'stress' thought - its a good one - I didn't completely lose it with him last night but yes the stress levels were pretty high! And although he is much better now, he is still a bit of an anxious little man, particuallry with talk dark haired men... I'm also trying to teach an old westie to be tolerant of a puppy pen prior to a repeat ACL repair in ten days time so just don't need this too at the moment.

Thanks everyone, will give it all a go...

I agree with Perse, remove the opportunity before it drives you nuts.

One comment that may be completely irrelevant to your situation, but that I will throw into the mix anyway. The only dog of mine that ever did it did so not to me, but just once to the person who was housesitting her while I was overseas. I think for her it was a playing out of anxiety. Perhaps the rescue boy is feeling your stress a bit. I may be right off the point though.

Stress will induce this type of behaviour. Have you had any workmen in the house, renovations, new neighbours, visitors etc?

I would start toilet training over again, like a baby puppy. I don't crate, but would allow him a basket and cordoned off area to sleep in.

My rescue pf girl started eating her poo again last week. She has not done this since the first few weeks she was rescued. I realised it is the stress of having new neighbours/voices in the yard next door.

Am interested in the replies as I am having a terrible time with this at the moment. Both of my dogs are toilet trained (or so I thought) but lately Cooper has been an absolute pain. I don't know whether its because we are slowly starting to get things ready for the baby or what, but I am almost at my wits end with him. I went into my ensuite to go to the loo the other night and I left the bathroom door open. Both dogs followed me into the bedroom and jumped up onto the bed. Almost immediately I saw Cooper cock his leg. I couldn't believe it. Of course I roused on him but I still had to change all of the bedding. Then, the other night I went to bed and my husband came home late from work. He came into the bedroom to say hello and as he did, the dogs hopped up on the bed too. Cooper piddled right next to me and then sat down right next to me. Again, another sheet change. I was furious. Then, I came home to find he had cocked his leg up against the bin in the kitchen. So now, they are not allowed in the bedrooms AT ALL.....for ANY REASON. We have a baby gate which seperates our kitchen and lounge room and we have started keeping them in the kitchen/ dining part. We do have a great pee-on-command (especially before we go out somewhere) routine, but lately he seems to be marking and I think he may be being territorial over me. To top it off, he is humping Stella (at which point I shout 'NO') but its hard to stop if I'm not watching him all the time. Grrrrr.....frustrating, especially seeing as we are trying so hard to make sure noth dogs are included and not left out with the addition of the baby in 8 or so weeks.

Pregnancy can bring on a whole new set of stresses for a dog. They know something is going on and sometimes do not know how to deal with it.

I would put a belly band on him so you can have him where he normally is as making stay out of the areas at this point in time may make the peeing worse as he is more stressed than normal.

Teach him to wee on command (I can email you if you don't know how to do this). Take him out for a short walk down the road last thing at night (if grass is wet) and let him eliminate for 5 mins.

Before putting belly bands on etc, you need to eliminate a bladder infection etc.

My Westie x won't go outside if it's raining ... so if rain is heavy, I put him on the lead and drag him up the drive, don't need to go far!