What Breed?

grabit

Friends of mine are going to get a dog and are doing the breed consideration thing

requirements are

minimal hair- smooth coated breed or non/low shedding are happy to clip and brush a couple of times a week but high shedding double coated breeds are out

medium to large (not giant) breed

easy going- dog will be obedience trained and must be child (over 10) and other pet friendly (as they have rabbits etc), also needs to be able to cope without walks every day of life

any ideas?

how bout dally....

my 12 yo loves him to bits next week is wants me to smuggle him to sydney with us and make him sleep in the car! not possible. dog plays as ruff as the child does.... the wrestle and play till the mummy yells stop!

there is a pic in the who needs a bean bag thread. that pose in our house is very common sight.

Sandra you took the words out of my mouth! I met a PWD at my last dog show and it took my breath away, amazing dog!

Just a side note, smooth hair does NOT mean minimal shedding, mums chi x sheds more than her Poodle x + my 4 Papillons combined! I'd suggest a pap if they weren't so small :laugh:

Sandra you took the words out of my mouth! I met a PWD at my last dog show and it took my breath away, amazing dog!

Just a side note, smooth hair does NOT mean minimal shedding, mums chi x sheds more than her Poodle x + my 4 Papillons combined! I'd suggest a pap if they weren't so small :laugh:

they can shed a bit but just not after a dog that is gonna leave mounds behind unless it is at the groomer ....its more the GSD type coat that they are trying to avoid

and you don't have to sell me on the pappys ...we are awaiting our puppy

Friends of mine are going to get a dog and are doing the breed consideration thing

requirements are

minimal hair- smooth coated breed or non/low shedding are happy to clip and brush a couple of times a week but high shedding double coated breeds are out

easy going- dog will be obedience trained and must be child (over 10) and other pet friendly (as they have rabbits etc), also needs to be able to cope without walks every day of life

any ideas?

:laugh: :D Sounds exactly like me 3 Std Poodles

Except I don't brush them a couple time a week :p .......maybe once a week.......once a fortnight ;)

Edited by Poodle Mum

Do they have any breeds they fancy?/It is often easier to get more of an idea if there are some breeds they like .

Obviously pet & rabbit friendly will solely rely on them doing the training.

We have had dogs that could play with our guinea pigs & others who owuld have killed them within minutes given a chance even though trained .

So they need to decide what the rabbit living arrangements will be & how much they wish to change its routine to accomadate a dog that need sto be trained to pay no attention or accept it didnt work & have bunny safe.

requirements are

any ideas?

Ridgeback :rofl:

minimal to no grooming - just a bath every few weeks, ear cleaning and nail clipping as needed and a brush now and then to get out any lose hair.

Large breed.

Laziest dogs ever, happy to go for a walk if you want to, or sleep all day every day instead - well mine is anyway :rofl:

Good with older kids and other pets as long as they are brought up with them.

Not the best obedience dogs (if you are wanting to trial etc). They are smart enough though and can be taught basic commands without too much trouble.

I think quite a few of the terriers are low allergenic

Tibetan Terriers, Soft-Coated Wheaten, West Highland, Wire Haired Fox Terrier, Airedale and maybe the Australian Silky Terrier.

then maybe a Maltese or any of the schnauzers.

I think the smaller the dog the less saliva etc it has too, which can cause irritants.

Some of these dogs are a bit harder to get and I think some are expensiveish.

If you can clip yourself or pay for regular grooming I think a poodle is the way to go.

Allergy is not an issue, these ppl used to have a GSD and are just trying to avoid the mountain of hair that comes when a double coated breed sheds....you know the grooming that never seems to end so a spaniel coat? or poodle coat would be more suitable for them clipping is not an issue as they have said they are happy to pay for a groomer and i have offered my services ( can't guarantee the quality as i am still learning )

I have suggested a ridgeback but i think maybe erring a little on the large side for them

A standard poodle has also been suggested not sure about that one

I have also considered a curly coat and portugese water dog however was under the impression they where high energy breeds so haven't sugested them a dally also falls into this catagory

the other suggestion i made was a greyhound or whippet however they are concerned about the prey drive with the bunnies

the rabbits are not free range or house rabbits but i spose they still want a dog who is fairly trust worthy with their other pets will they get this with a sighthound?

Edited by grabit

A Greyhound is a good suggestion :rofl: I'm sure that they could be matched with one who has been tested around small animals (bunnies) too :rofl:

ETA, come to think of it, where are the greyhound people this morning :rofl:

Edited by SecretKei

My old afghan used to let our day old baby ducklings make nests in his hair... Even when he wanted to get up he wouldn't for fear of disturbing them. :rofl:

Sighthounds are not necessarily small pet eaters!! Any sighthound, like many other breeds, just needs to be brought up with other pets. I've had foster greyhounds off the track and rabbits/guinea pigs in hutches. They can definitely be interested but I've not had an attempted break in. However I did babysit a small foxie x foster who shredded a hutch and killed and ate every single occupant. :rofl: I think sighthound's reputation with small pets is largely undeserved.

If you look to a good greyhound adoption group they have their breed's reputation formost in their mind and will match hounds to families properly, especially those with other pets.

Greyhounds or whippets sound like a possible match here. Borzoi may be getting too big, but if that's not an issue the coat is easy. Girls shed theirs twice a year but not if desexed. Otherwise they'll lose a bit at the start of summer. Salukis can be fantastic with small pets as well.