Long-haired Rottweiler?

Zug Zug

I was at a trial this morning (don't ask - didn't go well) and I saw a really beautiful dog that I was told was a long-haired Rottweiler.

I'd never seen this before. Are they born in the same litters as other Rottweilers? Or bred separately?

This dog worked soooo well and his/her trainer was fantastic. I was impressed all around - but in particular am intrigued about the breed.

Yep the dog is a pedigree Rottie - first and only long-haired one I have seen. Kenz was in love with him and wouldn't stop flirting :p .

Kenzie is a tart :)

There was a thread about this not too long ago relating to odd things that pop up in purebreds - colours, long coats in short coated breeds etc. I think someone posted a pic of a long haired Rottie there :)

Yes, long haired Rottweilers turn up in litters from time to time. This coat is a disqualifying fault, but obviously cosmetic only and does take anything away from making an absolutely awesome pet or working dog.

I believe I possibly know the dog you are referring to. I think by memory the owner's name is Greg, and he is a lovely guy. The dog, can't remember his name now, but he is a Blackombe dog, and he is doing Utility. Does that sound like him?

I have seen a few others over the years, but it is not an overly common occurence.

I believe I possibly know the dog you are referring to. I think by memory the owner's name is Greg, and he is a lovely guy. The dog, can't remember his name now, but he is a Blackombe dog, and he is doing Utility. Does that sound like him?

I'm pretty sure the dogs name is Clyde. & yeah he does utility.

Clyde is gorgeous and a brilliant worker, he's pretty much a famous longcoat in the rotty world because he always gets noticed at obedience trials :p

As others have mentioned, longcoats do pop up every now and then - it's a disqualifying fault in the breed, but doesn't stop them from looking gorgeous and being brilliant pets :)

:) SecretKei just prior to flirting with Clyde she was busy flirting with a male weim too :eek: . It appears she has a thing for the BIG boys :p .

ETA. I gotta say I actually think the long coats are nicer then the normal ones (maybe I should run now :) ).

Edited by ness

Why is it a disqualifying fault if it makes no difference to its ability to do its job?

Good question Sheridan. I don't actually know the correct response to this, but I am going to be brave and have a go at guessing...

my gut feeling goes something like this...

when the Breed Standard was first blue printed for this breed it would have been based upon what the breed what bred to do, which was pulling carts for butchers and droving cattle, (the types we see more today are based more on the cartin type, a more robust dog. The herding/droving variety were more lean, small and Kelpie like in type). For both of these tasks it was decided that the tail should be docked for hygiene issues and I would also think that a long coat would have caused problems in a hygiene area also.

So, the long tail and long hair would have in fact made a difference in the ability to do their job in the most efficient and clean way possible. I know that the tail was an issue with cow poo and rotting/flies etc.

More than happy to be corrected.

I know Greg also always takes Clyde's Pedigree with him when he enters Rottweiler specialty obedience, just incase he comes across a judge that does not know about the long haired Rottis.

Lovely dog, lovely owner.

Can anyone confirm if there's such a thing as a wire-haired rottweiler??

another rottweiler forum suggests there is such a thing, although I havent seen any pics to compare to the boy at work.

He essentially looks like a rottie with a beard and wirey hair through his legs.

We all thought he was a cross and mentioned it to the owner and she wasnt happy, had the bitza test done which came back as pure rottie (but we all know how accurate those tests are!) and went back to the breeder all angry. She was happy once she got the bitza test though and the breeder said they have lots of them in their lines?

I thought it all sounded very suspicious until i googled and saw people describing dogs that look like this boy.

I've never seen or heard of a wire haired rottweiler - not saying something strange like that couldn't crop up, but not something I've ever seen or been made aware of.

Edited by Allerzeit

I've never seen or heard of a wire haired rottweiler - not saying something strange like that couldn't crop up, but not something I've ever seen or been made aware of.

Nor I, but I could not rule it out.