Do You Walk Your Dog No Matter What The Weather ?

I am starting to feel horribly guilty as it's been raining here all day and poor Archie hasn't had his walk.

I think I'll put the wet weather gear on and just go but am I a bad mum if he misses out ?

The thing is, we've got heaps of rain forecast here ....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk them regardless. I don't walk in a thunderstorm or when there is severe wind and rain due to the risks. I'll wait for a clearing and take them out (even if it is just a 15 min walk).

I wait for a break in the weather .... otherwise we play silly games around the house like hide & seek, or we will play a little bit of fetch and tug in the living room :(:)

It's quite funny - all 4 dogs have a bit of fun!!

After a bit of play, I do some clicker training with them one by one in the spare room to give them some mental stimulation. ;)

I am starting to feel horribly guilty as it's been raining here all day and poor Archie hasn't had his walk.

I think I'll put the wet weather gear on and just go but am I a bad mum if he misses out ?

The thing is, we've got heaps of rain forecast here ....

Normally I do except in really bad weather (lightening, thunder etc). I often will take them for a drive and sometimes go to a shopping mall and walk around the car park (I know not very interesting, but it gets them out for a short while and they feel like they have done something).

Wet weather never stops us.Thunder and lightening not so keen on but you can always find a break in the weather. I love winter you can walk anytime of the day its summer that I hate. I only like to take them out in the early morning or dusk due to the heat.

Yeah I do. We all put on the raincoats (human and dogs) and we have our walk. But walks are shorter.

Emmy loves it. Charlie doesn't mind it but towel must be ready for him as soon as we walk in the door though.

I walk them regardless. I don't walk in a thunderstorm or when there is severe wind and rain due to the risks. I'll wait for a clearing and take them out (even if it is just a 15 min walk).

Same here. It's just water! :rofl:

I am lucky enough to have a couple of acres so I don't walk as such, I stand in the paddock and watch the dogs go nuts. I don't feel too bad if they miss out on the paddock romp as I have a massive garden. In the rain I just stand under a tree. I'm supposed to be going to obedience tonight but it is freezing, think I will stay home and make soup :rofl:

Yup! I walk them in any weather except maybe if lightening is striking really hard or trees are falling down in the area.

I have only missed out on 2 walks for the entire last year and that was only their second walk during the day. Walks are a bit of a “thing” with me! :rofl:

Okay, well you all motivated me and we are both very appreciative !! Just got back.

We went out and I actually ran, Archie couldn't quite figure out what was going on with me running alongside him :rofl:

He had a few lovely zoomies and a bit of time in the off leash, which is right near home -- we came home via Petbarn, where he always get attention and pats and shows off his tricks.

And now he's lying down having a rest !

It also stopped raining for our walk so the dogs gods must've been smiling.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Rain doesn't stop me but other things do at times.

My dogs get walked quite a bit but not every day

MTS .... you should come holiday in sunny Melbourne :(. Our nice autumn weather continues to put on a show, albeit that it is now officially winter. Cold mornings (and foggy - but I quite like fog) and it comes down cold later in the afternoon, but lovely in between. And the cold either end of the day isn't so bad either - makes to encourage nice brisk walking :).

But beware our dog laws :rofl: .

Edited by Erny

Heidi also gets walked regardless of the weather. I think she's only ever missed about 3 or 4 walks ever and she's just turned 2. I don't always enjoy the rain walking, but will happily stand on an oval with an umbrella, and boots, while she makes zoomies everywhere. Nobody else is ever hanging around the ovals in the rain, so it's a good time to go usually.

Heidi also gets walked regardless of the weather. I think she's only ever missed about 3 or 4 walks ever and she's just turned 2. I don't always enjoy the rain walking, but will happily stand on an oval with an umbrella, and boots, while she makes zoomies everywhere. Nobody else is ever hanging around the ovals in the rain, so it's a good time to go usually.

LOL Yep, that's the beauty of walking dogs off lead if you can. I sometimes stand in the shed at the recreation ground while they run around - except Tango tends to hide in there with me LOL

I will walk them in most weather except thunder storm, severe downpours and - here in Tassie - snowy blizzards!!! (they are the worst!) The dogs aren't interested if its a blizzard anyway.

That reminds me of a sign I saw on a shop in Derby today that said:

"Winter opening hours, Mon - Fri 10 am till 3 pm..... unless there's a blizzard". :rofl:

MTS .... you should come holiday in sunny Melbourne :( . Our nice autumn weather continues to put on a show, albeit that it is now officially winter. Cold mornings (and foggy - but I quite like fog) and it comes down cold later in the afternoon, but lovely in between. And the cold either end of the day isn't so bad either - makes to encourage nice brisk walking :) .

But beware our dog laws :rofl: .

What, you're not allowed to walk dogs in the rain ? :)

Actually my OH and I have talked about living in Melb, we both go there a bit for work, although he likes the cool weather more than I do. The brisk mornings are lovely.

Edited by mrs tornsocks