Do You Walk Your Dog No Matter What The Weather ?

MTS .... you should come holiday in sunny Melbourne :D . Our nice autumn weather continues to put on a show, albeit that it is now officially winter. Cold mornings (and foggy - but I quite like fog) and it comes down cold later in the afternoon, but lovely in between. And the cold either end of the day isn't so bad either - makes to encourage nice brisk walking :( .

But beware our dog laws :laugh: .

What, you're not allowed to walk dogs in the rain ? ;)

:D Don't say that too loudly or they just might think up a law about it. I guess that would go under the "Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Wet Dogs Amendment) Act"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We pretty much walk in all weather. Jane couldn't care less if it was raining and there is the added advantage of a 'towel dry' when we get home which she totally loves! A good drenching always helps keep her nice and clean and she always looks a treat after she has dried off! I'm not a fan though as I hate having wet feet and have yet to find some really waterproof shoes that are easy to walk in.

Gus dosen't know about rain yet as we have only had him for three weeks and it really has'nt rained in that time. He is abit of a sooky la la so I'm betting he isn't going to like a walk in the rain!

For me it depends on how heavy the rain is. Light to medium we go out but if it's bucketing down we wait for a break in the weather; if there's no break we play hide and seek indoors or I bring out my newly acquired Nina Ottosson toy - the dog tornado

Yup! I walk them in any weather except maybe if lightening is striking really hard or trees are falling down in the area.

I have only missed out on 2 walks for the entire last year and that was only their second walk during the day. Walks are a bit of a “thing” with me! :(

Me too! Some might call me obsessive but I just can't miss a walk, no matter what. Even if it is just 15 mins round the block I think mentally it just does my dog good to get out of the house twice a day and she prefers to do her business away from home. I even got up at 5am yesterday morning to walk her in the pitch black and rain because I had to go to work early and husband is away.

Nope. We are pretty fussy when it comes to walking conditions.

We don't walk them in the rain as if they get soaked through, take ages to dry. They are also very prone to hot spots when they get wet so we don't risk it.

They also miss out if it's too hot and humid.

Same here. My elkhound wouldn't even step out in the backyard when the grass is wet :( Also his coat takes ages to dry.

Every morning, rain or shine. We're out and about at 5:30 am ish, which is starting to get a wee bit nippy in Canberra! If we don't walk him he gets a bit narky.

If it's raining he has to stay inside all day (we don't have much cover outside and only dirt backyard) so he gets cabin fever. Also have to take him out for piddles - heaven forbid if you forget that! :(

Hi KA,

I too am an early riser in Canberra.

I can't say that I enjoy the frosty winter mornings @ 430 am :D. I have now got myself a fabulous travel mug that fits in my doggy walking belt, which I fill with hot tea. It has really helped me to get going in the first 20 minutes of the walk where I am freezing!

Unless it's bucketing down, I always give the tib girls their walk. Sometimes the rain gears up & I carry them part of the way under a big umbrella....they grunt with the effort. :( I've learned juggling skills....2 little dogs, doggy-doo bag & umbrella.

They love their 'outing' so much, it's a shame not to take them.

I notice that the most faithful walkers on our walking track are the dog owners. Next most faithful are the people who take their babies & toddlers in prams (with those plastic covers, if light rain).

love love love the beach on a rainy day - we have it all to ourselves!

except if there's thunder/lightning

anniek you are so right. One of my favorite memories is a trip to the beach where it was absolutely pouring. Having labs they couldnt care less and we had a great time. Not another person/animal in sight.My hubby didnt seem so impressed though.

Na my 2 are allergic to water when it is falling out of the sky! they turn into the biggest girly-woosbags when its raining

:laugh::( :p

must be a GSP thing. Hugo walk in the rain........don't be silly, he'd get his paws wet!

He's more than happy snoozing on somebodies lap thank you very much :confused:

Yep, I walk Sasha unless there is torrential rain (where her rain coat would be useless), storms or hail. We've been caught out by downpours mid walk - I can't imagine what people must think of seeing the two of us crouched down and huddling under the umbrella to wait it out...

I don't enjoy it - I hate walking in the rain... but I feel too guilty if I don't walk her. If I was at home with her all day I wouldn't worry as much... but seeing she is at home on her own most of the day (I do come home for 1 hour lunch everyday though) and behaves so beautifully - I feel it is my responsibility to at least make sure she gets a walk and some outside stimulation everyday - even if the weather is cold, wet and miserable (and usually - very dark and scary in winter).

I feel safer walking such a big dog in the dark... I do hope they never find out what a sooky la-la she is... :confused:

I have just returned from a visit to the oval which resembled a dam. Heidi had the time of her life, while I sloshed my way around in puddles deep enough to reach my ankles. We had some heavy downpour while there a few times. I took some pic's on my moblie of her zooming around with her cuz ball, which was purposely dropped in these ankle deep puddles.

Once home, do you think she would run from the garage down to the front door...... NO, she looked at me and tried to hide in the garage. She didn't want to get wet in the rain. :confused:

I walk them regardless. I don't walk in a thunderstorm or when there is severe wind and rain due to the risks. I'll wait for a clearing and take them out (even if it is just a 15 min walk).

Same here. It's just water! :(

Tell that to Timmy! :smashpc:

He loooooves the bath - all the warm water, suds and attention. But when it rains, he makes it perfectly clear he is *warm wash* only. Lest he shrink any further! :laugh:

Na my 2 are allergic to water when it is falling out of the sky! they turn into the biggest girly-woosbags when its raining

:laugh::(:whip:

must be a GSP thing. Hugo walk in the rain........don't be silly, he'd get his paws wet!

He's more than happy snoozing on somebodies lap thank you very much :smashpc:

Dunno, Leila loves walking in the rain! She wasnt so impressed though when she and OH got halfway down the road and it started to hail last week :rofl:

She jumped under a hedge in someones front garden and when OH tried to get her out he relised that she was on to something and joined her until it stopped!