Dog Coat For Tango

Hi folks

Mr Tango is having trouble dealing with Tassie's very cold weather. He has put on weight but he still doesn't have much in the way of fat or bulk to help him keep out the cold and he comes from NSW North of Sydney so he really isn't used to this kind of cold.

Unfortunately he totally freaks out and runs out of his basket if I put a blanket over him but he is ice-cold in his bed at night and you can see he's having trouble staying warm. I have a weatherbeeta coat but the design of the coat is not good. It slips around all the time and when he tries to sit or lay down it gets caught under his bottom and nearly chokes him by pulling tight at the front. It also slips right back from the neck so half his back is uncovered and it drags around his back legs when he's wearing it.

Also, he really REALLY hates the noise the velcro makes - he gets all skittish and worried by it. And I hate how the velcro sticks to everything and picks up so much hair and lint.

Anyway, he was remarkably good about having the coat put on - went all smoochy and wriggly like he knew it was something spesh! BUT once he tries to lie down he gets very upset and wont settle - and I don't blame him.

SO - has anyone got any ideas about the best dog coat to get him, preferably without velcro - and that doesn't slip back from the neck. Alternatively are there any clever coat makers in here who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

PS Pepper wouldn't mind a decent one too :( For when she's not in her bed snuggled under a comforter of course.

Oh and weather-proof or water-resistant would be a bonus but not essential as it's mostly about wanting to help him stay warm.

Have a look at greyhound type rugs. Something made from polar fleece is good to sleep in and they often have a high neck. They just slip over the head and do up with ties. Some of the clever people on here can make them.

Hi folks

Mr Tango is having trouble dealing with Tassie's very cold weather. He has put on weight but he still doesn't have much in the way of fat or bulk to help him keep out the cold and he comes from NSW North of Sydney so he really isn't used to this kind of cold.

Unfortunately he totally freaks out and runs out of his basket if I put a blanket over him but he is ice-cold in his bed at night and you can see he's having trouble staying warm. I have a weatherbeeta coat but the design of the coat is not good. It slips around all the time and when he tries to sit or lay down it gets caught under his bottom and nearly chokes him by pulling tight at the front. It also slips right back from the neck so half his back is uncovered and it drags around his back legs when he's wearing it.

Also, he really REALLY hates the noise the velcro makes - he gets all skittish and worried by it. And I hate how the velcro sticks to everything and picks up so much hair and lint.

Anyway, he was remarkably good about having the coat put on - went all smoochy and wriggly like he knew it was something spesh! BUT once he tries to lie down he gets very upset and wont settle - and I don't blame him.

SO - has anyone got any ideas about the best dog coat to get him, preferably without velcro - and that doesn't slip back from the neck. Alternatively are there any clever coat makers in here who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

PS Pepper wouldn't mind a decent one too :( For when she's not in her bed snuggled under a comforter of course.

Oh and weather-proof or water-resistant would be a bonus but not essential as it's mostly about wanting to help him stay warm.

[/quote have sent pm <dog coats made to your specifications :D

Have a look in the commercial thread (off topic) as there is people that make coats and PJ's to your dogs measurements.

I have had to have coats specialy made for my Basset as bought ones are to long for her short legs.

Leanne

What sort of dog is Tango. When you put the coat on him the reason he went wiggly is it might have been tickling him or possibly become a bit static. Mine actually do that when they want me to take their coats OFF.

Is he crate trained? If so a way around his cold at night issue might be to just place a heavy blanket over the top of his crate. He wont be encumbered with clothes but the crate will hold much more heat in without any blankets actually on his "person"

What sort of dog is Tango. When you put the coat on him the reason he went wiggly is it might have been tickling him or possibly become a bit static. Mine actually do that when they want me to take their coats OFF.

Is he crate trained? If so a way around his cold at night issue might be to just place a heavy blanket over the top of his crate. He wont be encumbered with clothes but the crate will hold much more heat in without any blankets actually on his "person"

Hmmm possibly! He's a dalmatian but he's not crate trained - yet. I'm waiting for some spare cash to buy a crate and give it a go. THanks for the suggestion!

My weim was the same. He has had a greyhound coat for a couple of years now, has a high neck and then fabric ties which sit just behind his chest. he wears that happily all night no problems, never attempted to remove it. I asked recently where i could get another on the greyhound thread and there were a few suggestions you could try. Mine are for male greys and I find they reach over the base of my weims tail and he is a big weim, so for a dally you may need one for a bitch or custom made.

Alternatively are there any clever coat makers in here who might be able to help?

Here you go. Warley's coats are the only coats my ratbag will wear.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4581222

THey look good and sturdy - I like the way they are shaped instead of relying on a long strap to hold the sides together. But they have velcro.... maybe not such a problem when the velcro isn't flapping about like it does on the one I have.... oooh wait - I just read through the other (long!) thread on it and you can have ties instead!

Cool. :confused:

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm checking them all out now! Excitement :laugh:

Make sure you also get the correct size. We have a Weatherbeeta for our Amstaff and it is nice and snug on him and does not move.

Thanks Rysup - the coat was originally bought for my other boy dally who was quite a lot bigger than Tango - but it also caused him similar problems - tho not as bad. I think the coat is an older style coat and had a couple of design flaws. I've found people chatting in forums about having to modify them by sewing extra pieces to hold it up at the neck.

I've seen other Weatherbeeta styles since that look better.

The greyhound coats look like a good idea - I had a look at the Chilli coats and they look fantastic - shame they're Canadian because it would be nice to support locals and especially locals who are on DOL.

I'll have a look in the commerical/greyhound threads and see if anyone here makes something similar.

Chilli Coats allllll the way! All of the 'horse style' coats slip and twist on Orbit. The Chilli is the only coat I can happily leave him in all day and even night and know that he's not going to get stuck or have it slip around.

At the moment he's in the Great White North which he seems to really love.

Two Small Puppies stocks them too!

Yep, another Chilly Coat fan here :confused:

Chilli Coats allllll the way! All of the 'horse style' coats slip and twist on Orbit. The Chilli is the only coat I can happily leave him in all day and even night and know that he's not going to get stuck or have it slip around.

Yep, another Chilly Coat fan here :rofl:

and yet another fan, only coat that fits and stays on and isn't off in the morning, what's more my girl loves her Chilly Coat.

Stormy, do you find that the GWN is a lot warmer than the sweaters? I'm thinking about ordering Kei one for the colder nights when the sweater is just not warm enough.