Deleted

Kazzie

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing worthwhile is ever a waste of time. Chasing a newbie out isn't worthwhile - it's not going to help the current litter, it's not going to help future litters and it certainly isn't going to help purebred dogs!

Think on this: the people who changed their opinions here are the ones who stuck around, maybe they were smart and kept their mouths shut long enough to learn the ropes, maybe they just didn't happen upon a controversial topic while they were still new, but it's not often someone comes back after a thorough flaming right at the start.

so true above....

but claps hands..... weather you like it or not the pups are on the way you have made sure this one (owner) got away and will have her view so tainted she will sing your behaviour from the top of every tree for a very long time.

but after reading this days of our lives drama lama thread which is very entertaining...

i fail to see how it promotes the breeding of a reg litter.... just so dol don't flame you.....shows how helpful people are regardless. :laugh:

If you keep chasing people off instead of educating them to be registered breeders where are your registered dogs in 10 years time going to come from? ANKC membership and breeder numbers are falling as the old people retire and so are puppy registrations, but dog ownership isn't falling at the same rate.

The OP deleted her posts at 10pm and you lot kept bickering. Who's the silly duffer for getting trolled? :laugh:

She came back at 11 though, I understand why she's defensive and I understand why others post the way they do I just hope she sticks around and learns to understand that too.

If the OP is still around the place I learned the most from is the rescue forum, particularly the urgent threads, a flaming in general is a picnic compared to the pain you'll feel seeing beautiful happy dogs just like ours get the needle mostly because their owners no longer wanted them for whatever reason. ;)

(btw joining 4 years ago doesn't mean much I've joined stacks of forums that I never get around to frequenting)

Wow - haven't seen such a bitchy thread on here for some time. With this attitude given out why would someone think it was better to be one of us ??? Deep breaths needed, seriously.

In reply to the op ;).

I use liquid paper on our pups for the first 2 weeks or so - also marking on their sheet which puppy collar they have been assigned. Liquid paper is only toxic if inhaled - in its dry form it is non hazardous. I have never had a bitch worry about it but our girls remove collars, ribbons etc as they want their pups pristine and won't leave any collar on them - after two weeks it seems to be acceptable. I have a marking system which runs boys / girls - top head/left ear/right ear/left neck/right neck etc etc and you only need a tiny dot and it dries in a flash.

Our puppy collars I made years ago - coloured ribbon on webbing with velcro (long before whelping supplies was in existance - though I like those and will probably buy them when I need a new set as it would be cheaper than making them again :cheer:).

So you regularly assist dobe BYBers then?

:laugh:

No - I don't. I spend my time and energy with the people who have a puppy from us and educate them in the best way to raise their puppy, the right way to proceed in the future if they so desire and the right way to behave and treat others :cheer:. These are the people and the dogs of the future I can influence - there are only so many hours in a day.

Just because a ' breeder' is registered with the our recognised bodies doesn't mean they are doing the right thing by the breed - we have several 'top' breeders in our breed who don't test for anything, or who do and breed regardless - knowing that cardio exists in certain lines and then doubling up on that, or who breed disregarding crap temperaments and produce puppies that are the collective worst of their parentage . . . . . . . . . .

I fail to see how treating anyone this way makes them or others wish to do the right thing. As my grandma always said - treat others as you would wish to be treated. I believe something similar is in the canine controls code of conduct as well.

(btw joining 4 years ago doesn't mean much I've joined stacks of forums that I never get around to frequenting)

Good point. I'm sure she didnt mean to wind everyone up into a frenzy but it's hard to believe someone can check out attitudes in this place and not see that coming. As jdavis said, hopefully she'll desex the pups.

No - I don't. I spend my time and energy with the people who have a puppy from us and educate them in the best way to raise their puppy, the right way to proceed in the future if they so desire and the right way to behave and treat others ;). These are the people and the dogs of the future I can influence - there are only so many hours in a day.

So basically, you are agreeing with me.

Fact is the OP has this great resource with all sorts of info but chose a certain path. She is a vet nurse and should know the procedure for health testing and some basic idea on rescue through her work. She doesn't come across like a country bumpkin. I'd rather not make it easier for people who chose to have BYB litters, it doesn't tend to discourage them.

O.K. Troll maybe - but Im sorry these pups are already on the ground and there is nothing any of you can do to change that.Chasing her off now with a big stick only makes sure she never ever wants to be one of us and makes anyone else reading this think purebred breeders are a bunch of red necks.How many will pick up that most of the posts come from people who dont breed purebred dogs? If you think that being a registered breeder and having your yellow lab scored before you breed and racing it a round a show ring for a few months autiomatically puts in you a spot where you are giving a crap about the things that need to be done to get it right - BETTER LOOK AGAIN.

Not everyone comes from a background which lets them know all about what needs to be done to get it right and many people who

have gone on to be great breeders started out with mistakes. I get what your goal is but I cant for the life of me see how you hope to gain anything by flogging into someone after the horse has bolted.

You said it better than I could have Steve, great post.

No - I don't. I spend my time and energy with the people who have a puppy from us and educate them in the best way to raise their puppy, the right way to proceed in the future if they so desire and the right way to behave and treat others ;) . These are the people and the dogs of the future I can influence - there are only so many hours in a day.

So basically, you are agreeing with me.

Fact is the OP has this great resource with all sorts of info but chose a certain path. She is a vet nurse and should know the procedure for health testing and some basic idea on rescue through her work. She doesn't come across like a country bumpkin. I'd rather not make it easier for people who chose to have BYB litters, it doesn't tend to discourage them.

Actually I dont agree with making it easier for them either but over the last 6 years Ive been able to discourage a fair few away from BYB and bring them into breeding ethically and registered and Ive also disuaded several others from breeding at all - without flogging them.

Not all vet nurses are created equal ;) Actually you could say the same about vets...

Anyway I hope that Kazzie does go on to become a registered breeder and I hope that she improves her breed and I hope that she does endeavour to learn from experienced and knowledgable breeders along the way and maybe one day she might become a mentor herself and continue on the knowledge she has gained from all that hard work.

If she doesn't well nothing ventured nothing gained :laugh:

Threads like this upset me for a number of reason. Firstly there's the obvious of a litter of pups on the ground that probably shouldn't be. But secondly, the attitudes.

Nope, we don't support BYB's here, but seriously, could we not try to educate?

There was a time not all that long ago, where I didn't really know the different between a Registered breeder and a BYBer. I actually didn't know there were CC's and breed clubs and breed standards. Now yep, I did discover it all before I got Orbit, but I'm still learning years later.

What if these people are like me? What if they actually thought what they were doing was the normal? The OP said the puppies would be registered, which obviously they won't be, but that to me sounds like a lack of knowledge where the OP actually thought she'd be able to register the puppies.

To hear people calling her a liar? Maybe she's just naive? Maybe had no idea it was done any other way? And if you don't know that there is another way, what are you going to research? Just because she's been a member it doesn't mean she's been actively reading for that time.

No, we can't support BYB's and encourage them. But the pups are born and we can hardly put them back in. There's a difference between encouraging and offering help. Perhaps if a different attitude had been taken, education given as to WHY the litter may not have been a good idea, what health issues should probably have been tested for, the OP would have gained not only an understanding of registered breeders, but also a respect for them.

But instead we've pushed someone away who will join all the others in thinking registered breeders are snobs. Awesome.

eta: The fact she's an ex vet nurse means nothing. In fact, I hear of many nurses who support byb's and encourage their clients to breed. Because unfortunately, so do many vets, so that's what they learn. I am very pro purebred and encourage our clients when given the chance to buy from Reg breeders and not to breed. Our other nurse, on the other hand, has no interest in learning about breeders and thinks if you're buying cross breeds/DD's then its ok to buy them from a petshop or BYB. Chalk and Cheese...

Edited by stormie

I'm not flogging her, I just have no interest in giving advice. You're a better woman than me steve, my patience cup ran out long ago :laugh:

Yeah I know and I understand but I think there is more to it all and I believe that with a passion.

I can assure you all that none of my puppies will ever end up in a pound. They will all be microchipped with myself as a second contact so that if anything ever went wrong they would end up back with me.

Also all the new owners will be signing a contract agreeing to have the dogs desexed at 6 months of age. Besides that, all the puppies are going to friends and friends of friends who just want them as pets, and will have no intention of ever breeding them.

I'm sorry I started this thread. I'm sorry I've got so many people upset. I didn't see the point in becoming a registered breeder to breed one litter of pups where both parents are pedigree, health checked (maybe no to your standards, but still health checked), happy and healthy. Clearly I've done the wrong thing and I apologise. I won't be doing it again. Yes I truly did believe I could register the litter because both parents were registered. Clearly I was wrong.

Some of you are really not very nice people. I used to believe that dog lovers were the best people in the world. I'm not so sure anymore.

Well I've been up all night with my babies, so I'm going to go and crash on my mattress beside my girl and her babies and stay there for the next few weeks. (Yes I took 8 weeks off work to be with my girl and her puppies).

If a MOD could delete this thread that would be lovely.

Edited by Kazzie

O.K. Troll maybe - but Im sorry these pups are already on the ground and there is nothing any of you can do to change that.Chasing her off now with a big stick only makes sure she never ever wants to be one of us and makes anyone else reading this think purebred breeders are a bunch of red necks.How many will pick up that most of the posts come from people who dont breed purebred dogs? If you think that being a registered breeder and having your yellow lab scored before you breed and racing it a round a show ring for a few months autiomatically puts in you a spot where you are giving a crap about the things that need to be done to get it right - BETTER LOOK AGAIN.

Not everyone comes from a background which lets them know all about what needs to be done to get it right and many people who

have gone on to be great breeders started out with mistakes. I get what your goal is but I cant for the life of me see how you hope to gain anything by flogging into someone after the horse has bolted.

You said it better than I could have Steve, great post.

I agree, great post. :laugh:

What if these people are like me? What if they actually thought what they were doing was the normal? The OP said the puppies would be registered, which obviously they won't be, but that to me sounds like a lack of knowledge where the OP actually thought she'd be able to register the puppies.

Particularly if they read a lot of the information that is available on the internet that comes from places like the US, where litters are registered not individuall puppies and also the UK where breeders aren't registered.