Kazzie

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey all!

My beautiful beautiful choccy lab Rei has just given birth to her first litter of pups. 12 all up! 3 goldies and 9 choccies! See pic below

I would like to put different colour bands around their necks so I can tell the pups apart for weigh ins, worming etc. Any suggestions?

I've considered different coloured hairbands, but puppies choking or getting caught concern me. What have others used? I found some good ones on the whelping supplies website, but they're a bit too expensive for me.

TIA

Caz

IMG_6489.jpg

Not sure if it will work on your colours. I have Rottweilers and I paint roman numerals on their bum with liquid paper, I can put it on straight away and it dries quickly, I just touch it up if it is wearing off until they are old enough for a little coloured adjustable collar. Then they are already used to wearing a collar before they go to their new homes.

Then I just write the colour next to the number records- No1 Blue Boy

post-22667-1276424961_thumb.jpg

but that is not as discriminating as you were about health testing

Health testing WASN'T done... a vet did xrays... that isn't hip or elbow scoring.

Agree with this. Just doing xrays doesn't achieve a thing.

Shame you are not a registered breeder if both parents are papered, as the litter won't be able to be registered and these pups' lines are therefore useless to the future.

but that is not as discriminating as you were about health testing

Health testing WASN'T done... a vet did xrays... that isn't hip or elbow scoring.

At least an attempt was made, better then most of these unreg breeder forums. Not that I am defending the OP it makes me so depressed to think epople spent 100's of years developing and perfecting these breeds so people who wouldn't be able to even find the breed standard can pump out puppies becasue it looks cute/money/ want a new dog but arent prepared t pay ect.. :)

Ok I give up. Clearly I am the bad guy.

Say what you will about me, but I know both mum and dad are healthy. I know where every single puppy is going, and I am willing to take every single one of them back if anything went wrong.

My beautiful girl will be having one litter, and won't be used and abused - she is nothing but loved and will be with me till the day she dies.

I'm not going to bother saying anything else or justifying myself anymore. I know I've done everything to ensure my girl and her puppies are happy, healthy and go to the perfect forever homes.

I won't be asking for advice here ever again

She didn't actually say the xrays weren't sent in, did she? Perhaps they were.

I am happy to see people making an attempt to breed responsibly. Obviously it would be great if every dog breeder did everything 100% right. But even registered breeders don't always x-ray their breeding stock, there was a thread about it earlier today.

Perhaps if Kezzie breeds again she will do so after becoming a registered breeder. That is, if we don't put her off the idea of associating with registered breeders by publicly shaming her off the forum.

Oh great, there she goes while I was posting. One more person who thinks registered breeders are elitist snobs. What happened to the saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

Edited by Staranais

if you're a vet nurse i'm sure you're frustrated by people who you give advice too adn they only do 60% of it. You've done that. This forum is one of hte few that tries to maintain the pedigree purebred ethics.

If your vet is NOT qulified then having a simple x-ray is not enough you should know that. They need to be scored properly. By the way do your dogs breeders know you have bred them? Most breeders are NOT happy having their stock involved in unregistered breeding. I dont know why you just didnt go one step further and did everything properly since you 'apparently' tried so hard.

Oh great, there she goes, one more person who thinks registered breeders are elitist snobs.

no one more BYB who can't be bothered doing it properly

And now she won't ever be. Well done.

well as you believe every word she said you should also believe she was only ever going to have the one litter.

It is the pups from these types of matings that lead the public to believe that purebred dogs are genetic messes. They'll go round saying I had them tested, they are purebred and they still have health problems. Yet the correct testing was probably not done, the OP has said as much herself. Either don't bother testing or do it right, don't pretend to be legit if you aren't.

This site sometimes puts me off becoming a registered breeder. Some of the people here give registered breeders a bad name and I wouldn't want to be lumped in that category.

Why? Because they refuse to support people who are destroying the breeds that they are working so hard to preserve and improve?

I am happy to see people making an attempt to breed responsibly. Obviously it would be great if every dog breeder did everything 100% right. But even registered breeders don't always x-ray their breeding stock, there was a thread about it earlier today.

In labs litters cant be registered unless scores have been done