Deleted

Kazzie

Why do people suddenly assume the worst of people on this website????

If my beautiful girl had needed a C-section she would have had one immediatly. The vet was here the whole time she gave birth.

They are simply expensive for what they are and I was hoping for ideas on a better alternative. sheesh.

If you had read some of the topics started by "newbies" you would know that this forum has some people who, apparently, have always thought of and been prepared for absolutely everything and have nothing better to do with thier lives than give other people sh!t!!

I usually use ribbon or, when the pups are bigger, some cheap collars (can be difficult finding enough diffenrent colours when their are 11 puppies in the litter, as in my last!)

Good luck with your litter, please don't be put off by the resident know-it-all & give us more pictures!!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kazzie Ignore everyone who's making a fuss over nothing. :) People on DOL can be very opinionated, and basically come across bitchy.

They're nice when you get to know them though...

Well most of them anyway :)

And congratulations on the little ones!!! :cheer: Hoping to see lots of photos :cheer: !!!

+1.

Kazzie; alot of the time DOL members don't realise they are coming across as crass.

Please understand that we get a lot of newcomers on here that troll, or are BYB, or even farmers.

The members were just fishing for any clues to see if you could be one of these.

:cheer: Best of luck with the littlies. They look REALLY cute. :D

I've considered different coloured hairbands, but puppies choking or getting caught concern me. What have others used? I found some good ones on the whelping supplies website, but they're a bit too expensive for me.

TIA

Caz

I think the bit I bolded is what raised warning signals for people. The bands are $7, postage included. To say they are too expensive made me wonder and I obviously wasn't the only one.

I've considered different coloured hairbands, but puppies choking or getting caught concern me. What have others used? I found some good ones on the whelping supplies website, but they're a bit too expensive for me.

TIA

Caz

I think the bit I bolded is what raised warning signals for people. The bands are $7, postage included. To say they are too expensive made me wonder and I obviously wasn't the only one.

Well personally, I would pay thousands and more if needed on my dogs, but if I could do the Exact same thing for $10? I would certainly rather that option! :)

So possibly the OP means she would rather not pay $7 per band when she could buy something similar for 10c.

Then again I could be wrong.

TIA

Caz

Well personally, I would pay thousands and more if needed on my dogs, but if I could do the Exact same thing for $10? I would certainly rather that option! :)

So possibly the OP means she would rather not pay $7 per band when she could buy something similar for 10c.

The ones I looked at were $7 for 14 bands, 2 each of 7 different colours, not $7 each, maybe there are more expensive ones there as well? Off for another look

cause obviously this is a registered litter right? (hence the use of the word Golden instead of the correct yellow?) Sorry cannot get excited about another unregisted litter of labs..where all the appropirate health tests done as well on sire and dam?

(whelping supplies is cheap!!)

Rik rack is commonly used as well. Nail polish on back of coat, wool, string..etc etc etc...

Edited by Missymoo

Guest belgian.blue

That is what I thought too.

I'd do the same if I were in her shoes. Why pay postage for something you can easily make at home but just weren't certain about the safest material to use :)

TIA

Caz

When I lookled at the site I thought they were $7 each. You don't see they are for a set till you click on the link.

The ones I looked at were $7 for 14 bands, 2 each of 7 different colours, not $7 each, maybe there are more expensive ones there as well? Off for another look

When I lookled at the site I thought they were $7 each. You don't see they are for a set till you click on the link.

I have done the best thing and was fully ready for this litter before it arrived. They don't need ID bands on them the second they come out. I just wanted some idea on what other people have used. I am prepared to buy the ones from whelping supplies if there's not a better alternative.

Right now my beautiful girl and her puppies are set up in my temperature controlled lounge room and I've set up my bed on the floor by her side and have not left her for a second since she gave birth 4 days ago. Please don't presume that my girl and her puppies aren't extremely well cared for.

Cute puppies! I have a gold dog too. :)

Just noticing in the photo, the mum & puppies are in a plastic dog bed on a hard floor. I hope it's not as cold there as it is here because that just seems too cold for puppies. I wouldn't let my adult dog sleep like that.

Anyway, you've probably thought of everything anyway. :)

I'd do the same if I were in her shoes. Why pay postage for something you can easily make at home but just weren't certain about the safest material to use :)

Because when you buy a product sold specifically for a purpose, there is an implied assurance that it is safe to use.

Besides that, I have done a price comparison in the past, Whelping Supplies are not too expensive.

Kazzie; alot of the time DOL members don't realise they are coming across as crass.

Or perhaps some just don't care?

I am thinking that perhaps people assumed you're not a registered breeder since you don't specifically say you are. Unregistered breeders tend to get a very chilly reception around here, for numerous reasons including the fact that they tend not to health test their dogs for common genetic conditions before breeding. I hope you did!

They are very cute babies, and the mum is pretty - good luck with them. :)

Thanks all!

I will try not to be offended by the assumption that I am a troll or Puppy Farmer.

I am not a registered breeder which I guess will get plenty of people off side. However, my bitch is pedigree, the male is pedigree, they've both had all the necessary vet checks, the litter is registered, will be chipped before they are sold and almost every pup already has a home waiting for them. I am only planning on the one litter. If that's not good enough for you all, well then I guess I'll leave.

Vet checks including hip and elbow x-rays? Not trying to be a bully, but these diseases are rampant in Labradors, and it's only by breeders being very conscientious & x-raying all their breeding stock (even those dogs that look "normal") that it will ever be stamped out.

:)

However, my bitch is pedigree, the male is pedigree, they've both had all the necessary vet checks, the litter is registered

How can they be registered/pedigreed if you aren't a registered breeder??

And the 'goldies'.. are Golden Retrievers.... Labradors are yellow.

Hip and elbow scores done??

Edited by Cordelia

Thanks all!

I will try not to be offended by the assumption that I am a troll or Puppy Farmer.

I am not a registered breeder which I guess will get plenty of people off side. However, my bitch is pedigree, the male is pedigree, they've both had all the necessary vet checks, the litter is registered, will be chipped before they are sold and almost every pup already has a home waiting for them. I am only planning on the one litter. If that's not good enough for you all, well then I guess I'll leave.

The bands on whelping supplies didn't have enought colours as I have 12 pups. I was going to buy the bands that had the numbers with them as well but it was going to cost me over $60 plus postage.

How can the litter be registered if you are not registered? has the bitch been transferred or leased to another, registered, person?

I think you can write on the paper type bands so not enough colours doesn't matter.

ETA, saw the bit about the xrays, so they were sent away and scored?

Edited by Rebanne

Vet checks including hip and elbow x-rays? Not trying to be a bully, but these diseases are rampant in Labradors, and it's only by breeders being very conscientious & x-raying all their breeding stock (even those dogs that look "normal") that it will ever be stamped out.

:)

Yes. I am an ex vet nurse, and the vet where I used to work x-rayed both dogs for me.

Hooray, that makes me happy to hear. :)

Stick around a bit and learn why becoming a registered breeder if you ever plan to breed again would be even better. :cheer:

Kazzie- gorgeous photos! :) Your girl looks in lovely condition ..and very content :) I love that last pic :cheer: aaahhh - puppy breath !

may I gently make a suggestion?

bedding for newborns is best if it is totally flat ... NO folds/creases/gaps . newborns can get lost under folds etc ... sometimes leading to mum lying on them..or puppy getting cold.

Ideally- bedding is cut/shaped to fit the base of the bed..and is secured so it cannot be scrunched up by mum :cheer:

Kazzie this is the second thread in 2 months we have had of people who need advice breeding unregistered choc labs. I wonder what your breeder thinks of you breeding the dogs and I wonder what will happen if some one has a litter from the dogs you bred but that is not as discriminating as you were about health testing.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing but please try get your puppy buyers to desex as plenty of labs are bred by people who don't test just to make money.

Edited by valleyCBR