My Boy Is At The Vets

Rach...

I just spoke to the vet, hes had his pre meds and is about to go into surgery

apparently he was barking so he must be feeling a lot better than he was when we took him there this morning

I feel sorry for them though cos I know what he is like when I am not with him and he is in a strange place.

they used to fight in the old house, but were seperated in such a way the pom could stay away from her if she was in a mood

he will be inside for the weekend at least going onto the front lawn for toilet breaks i think.. parents are looking at a way to cut the backyard in half

I really thought she was going to kill him this morning

Edited by Rach...

:laugh: to you and your injured pup. Hope he makes a quick recovery.

I can understand what you are going through ... my boys have had an almight fight a couple of times. Our older boy went for the younger one not so long ago and I had to physically drag him off the pup. Normally a verbal correction was enough to pull him into line but this morning he just went full on. Thankfully the younger one only had a few holes in his face and some bruising to his leg and shoulder - he was a little sore and sorry for himself but made a full recovery.

Normally I keep my boys seperated unless under supervision but for the last 2 days I have come home to both dogs being in the same yard and curled up asleep together!!! Just can't figure them out sometimes. I probably spent an hour this morning making repairs to the yard so they can't get in together but I guess I will see how that went when I get home this afternoon.

Hope Buddy comes through his surgery fine. We had two female dogs that would sometimes turn on each other and it's so hard not to get panicked when you're worried about your dogs being hurt - especially by each other.

hes home from the vets =D I had to work tonight so mum picked him up while i was gone, was happy to see him perk up and get happy when he heard me

took him out the front for a toilet break and he peed like there was no tomorrow

he is on antibiotics for 2 weeks and pain killers for i dont know how long

his drain will be coming out on monday

he has eaten a little bit wont drink water. we arent going to force him and he isnt keen on anyone or thing touching his head right now.

ill take his cone off tomorrow when i can supervise him fully and hes had a rest and his medication so he can have a break

Aww you poor person. That sucks.

I grew up with my mums two dogs, both bitches, a border collie (older) and a staffy who used to fight all the time and had to be separated.

My current dogs have a massive size discrepancy (boy 36kgs and girl 5kgs) and I am always worried something like that might happen because clearly the wee girl would not have a chance.But in all the dogs we have owned we have never had fights, the odd we snap but no biggies so far.Our dogs are together always (I think the chances of a fight ar eminimal though as big boy won't even tell little girl off for biting too hard - such a pansy)

Hope your little one gets better quickly.I would love to hear what action you take going forwards for future reference.

Hi, rach - hope he is feeling better very soon! perhaps it may hurt your dog to lap water? :shhh:

perhaps he will be more interested in milk/water mixture..or just give him wet food . If he has been on a drip etc at th evets he may not be very thirsty anyway- don't worry too much. Just leave things there.. and when he wants to, he will.

he still hasnt drank anything so i called the vet and they said to bring him in so they could have a quick look, so we are going in like 15 minutes

he has been outside twice this morning and was happy sniffing around, he is fine until he coughs or splutters then he gets all depressed again

Was Maizy resource guarding the chair? It's really important to find out what's making her react that way. If it is resource guarding, then that is difficult, as she can pick and choose what she chooses to guard and you'll never really know what she's decided is important to her, until she attacks your Pom.

You poor thing, dog fights are scary and you kind of feel sick for days. I hope your parents see how serious this is and get in someone to assess the situation. Because even if you decide to never let them be together ever again, things go wrong - doors open, crates break, holes are dug etc, it is a lot stress and work.

He is doing alot better

his drain came out on monday and he is alot better since then

Maizy is in the vets today being desexed as our first step in trying to work things out with her

aa.jpg

this was taken saturday, it doesnt look as bad anymore

Edited by Rach...

oh no Rach. That is horrible. I hope recovery is quick and you can work out a solution soon. I was concered this morning because my old girl fully went for my little boy. It was over a bone (they had one each so I don't know why she reacted) Luckly I was standing right there when it happened, she didn't bite.

My 2 girls went for it on Monday night... and they got out of hospital today... they'll be fine - mostly superficial stuff and a few stitches - but they were going to kill each other over a small piece of dry food on the lawn...

It's absolutely traumatising when you have your own dogs fighting. Mine are both around 28kgs, so it's impossible for me to do anything more than referee and make sure that if one goes down, I drag the other back - other than that, nothing is going to stop them until they run out of puff... so the 3 policemen who attended my yard on Monday night found out... how embarrassing!

Good to hear that your little one is on the mend and feeling happier now... pass him a cuddle from me, OK?

T.