How Many Matings Do You Do?

Bokezu

very interested to know if many breeders only do the one mating, as most people I speak with like to do two or more.

I was told by a very good breeder that she only ever does the one and it always works well. I have only had two litters and only did the one mating, resulting in 6 and 7 puppies. Do you think two matings or more results in a bigger litter?

How many matings do you do and how big are your litters?

Well I would always opt for two. With my recent matings(fresh AI) I did 2 with the first girl, she had 9 and could only arrange one mating with the second girl and she had 11. I didnt prog test either.

I think only one mating is neccessary if the timing is spot on, but I prefer two just for that added assurance.

I think 2 is enough, 3 if you feel the ties may not have been long enough. 1-2 days apart depending on life.

ETA: Whoops missed the litter size q. Litters of 8 and 5 - same routine both times but flights were tough to get so the second litter was a day or two later than ideal which is why I think the litter was different NOT how many matings.

Let's face it, each drop of semen has more than enough wrigglers for any amount of eggs the bitch can release - it's all about timing as long as you get a successful mating IMO.

Edited by molasseslass

If the bitch is left with me then I will mate them everyday the bitch is standing. If the people bring the bitch up then it is usually two a day apart. Some people want more so they get it. It does not hurt the dog or the bitch.

This time around I did four matings a day apart as he was 14 months old adn she is a proven bitch.

No idea how many pups resulted as she is still carrying them :cheer::laugh:

Last time same bitch much older stud we did at least 4 matings every day, the last was the longest tie

of 40 mins Him & I were begining to get bored.

She typically ties for 20 mins.

BB

This time around I did four matings a day apart as he was 14 months old adn she is a proven bitch.

No idea how many pups resulted as she is still carrying them :cheer::laugh:

Last time same bitch much older stud we did at least 4 matings every day, the last was the longest tie

of 40 mins Him & I were begining to get bored.

She typically ties for 20 mins.

BB

4 mating's every day is over kill don't you think ?. :laugh:

The stud dogs I have used is 3 mating 2 days apart.

One time I used the same dog over 2 girls so I was at his place every night. By day 3 he knew the time and the minute I started walking up the path he made a beeline for the front door. :cheer::laugh:

Usually 3 to 7 pups.

It depends..if I do progesterone I will do a mating the day I know is needed and then cover the day after. If I don't do the blood work, I tend to see when she will accept the male if it times into roughly what day she's on in her heat cycle. If she's not a slut and actually SERIOUS about it, I'll let the male breed her three days in a row as long as she accepts things and he's interested....have had great success with this way in the past.

If the bitch is left with me then I will mate them everyday the bitch is standing. If the people bring the bitch up then it is usually two a day apart. Some people want more so they get it. It does not hurt the dog or the bitch.

This is my first litter at home litter.

I did allowing mating every day while the bitch was standing as per her previous owner recommendations but i think in future I would convert to 2-3 days tops. Just that my girl stood for 5 days and pups were hugely different in size. Taking a guess here, i feel that the littlest ones may have been concieved on those last days and unfortunately they were not strong enough to make the journey and parted us 24hrs after birth.

I don't know why people get so fixated on a due date. Pups arrive when pups arrive, if the bitch is comfortable, happy and well, then a few days here or there is nothing to worry about.

Some breeders have gotten to the point, where they feel they need to control every aspect of the mating, whelping and hit the panic buttons when they think it's not all going to schedule.

Know your bitches inside out and leave the rest up to them.

For outside studs, I take the bitch for 2 visits, 2 days apart.

If using my own dog, then they can have one mating a day for as long as they are interested. I think it is attachment of the placenta, not how many matings/days apart that affect puppy sizes in the litter.

litter sizes of 2 - 8 for mini schnauzers. (the 2 litter was a whoops mating that was going to be done 6 months later, so the timing may have been off with that one)

We had a visiting bitch here for two weeks and our male covered her a total of 5 times, once every other day. She is due to have her puppies around July 1st, so once I hear from her owner I will share the litter size with everyone.

One of our girls was also covered 5 times, once every other day, by the same male. She is due around the middle of July. I'll also be sure to share that litter size info once the puppies arrive.