Two Bitches Together

Ciara

I've never had problems with the dogs. I had Fern and got Poppy. No problems. Then I added in Amber. Also had Brock (male). Poppy and Amber get on great. They are usually off together. I actually feel sorry for Brock as he seems to get left by himself a bit. What is interesting is Poppy is not good with other dogs. She has major personal space issues but has taken to mothering Amber. Poppy is desexed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 desexed girls get on fine most of the time... but when they get into a spat it is downright nasty...

Here's what they did to each other last Monday over a piece of food one of them found in the yard...

Zeddy - 11 year old Rotti cross - had 2 ripped up front legs, punctures on a back foot, bruising to her chest, and she lost a canine tooth in order to repair the ripped gum.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds011.jpg

Trouble - 4 year old Labrador - had lots of punctures to face, ears, and neck, and a rip between her toes.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds004.jpg

I'd strongly suggest that if you have 2 females together, that you look seriously at pet insurance - my girls set me back $1360 for the above wounds to be treated by our vets - and they give me discounts...

That said - I've had quite a few females run together with no problems at all over the years - but if you end up with 2 alpha bitches, it can be problematic (and expensive) at times...

T.

I would run those two seperately. That's just irresponsible allowing them to run togethor when you know there is the possibility they will fight like that and have a history of it :laugh:

I would run those two seperately. That's just irresponsible allowing them to run togethor when you know there is the possibility they will fight like that and have a history of it :laugh:

It was a mistake. It isn't irresponsibility when you consider the large number of people here that do exactly the same thing, every day, and claim that all is fine and ok because they "supervise".

Why don't you have a go at those people when they post, instead of having a go at somebody that has learnt their lesson the hard way. :laugh:

My 2 desexed girls get on fine most of the time... but when they get into a spat it is downright nasty...

Here's what they did to each other last Monday over a piece of food one of them found in the yard...

Zeddy - 11 year old Rotti cross - had 2 ripped up front legs, punctures on a back foot, bruising to her chest, and she lost a canine tooth in order to repair the ripped gum.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds011.jpg

Trouble - 4 year old Labrador - had lots of punctures to face, ears, and neck, and a rip between her toes.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds004.jpg

I'd strongly suggest that if you have 2 females together, that you look seriously at pet insurance - my girls set me back $1360 for the above wounds to be treated by our vets - and they give me discounts...

That said - I've had quite a few females run together with no problems at all over the years - but if you end up with 2 alpha bitches, it can be problematic (and expensive) at times...

T.

DOnt know if this poster had the same thing with their dogs but mine would cry and wine to be together and not move from either side of the fence when they were seperated, they would also not fight for years at a time, I for one did not keep mine seperate after the fight except for when the one was recovering, at 11 5 years on they have not had another fight.

I,ve always had females together and had no problem till my last dog arrived. Both are alpha dogs but 10 years between them and did have a couple of minor spats at the start. The younger one now respects her elders, she was a pushy little bitch :laugh: I dont know what I would have done if it turned out like tdierikx though...wow :laugh:

It was a mistake. It isn't irresponsibility when you consider the large number of people here that do exactly the same thing, every day, and claim that all is fine and ok because they "supervise".

Why don't you have a go at those people when they post, instead of having a go at somebody that has learnt their lesson the hard way. :laugh:

The 1st and second times are mistakes I agree. After that I think you identify you have an issue and you seperate them for their own welfare

The 1st and second times are mistakes I agree. After that I think you identify you have an issue and you seperate them for their own welfare

The first and second times of what? Mild grumbles? Squabbles over a biscuit? Brawls?

What about Dianed, to give a very specific example. Is she irresponsible too?

I,ve always had females together and had no problem till my last dog arrived. Both are alpha dogs but 10 years between them and did have a couple of minor spats at the start. The younger one now respects her elders, she was a pushy little bitch

What happens when the pushy little bitch is fully mature and starts to sense that the older girl has weakened a little?

Also,

How should tidierikx separate her bitches now? Rehome one? Put one down? Keep them in separate yards forever and hope like mad that one of the kids will never, ever leave a gate or door between them open?

Is supervision the key? Or are some people such good owners that their dogs would never dare to fight?

Not meaning to have a go, but it was a pretty big call to call somebody irresponsible, without explaining exactly what the responsible thing to do would have been.

I do not envy the choices in front of tidierikx right now.

My advice to the OP. Just get a male this time.

I too got the impression that these dogs were being left together unreasonably but the poster did not say what the long term outcome will be and I don't envy her position. Personally, I would separate them. It is impossible to tell from a couple of photos but what evidence there is suggests that the Lab is not messing around.

The first and second times of what? Mild grumbles? Squabbles over a biscuit? Brawls?

What about Dianed, to give a very specific example. Is she irresponsible too?

I,ve always had females together and had no problem till my last dog arrived. Both are alpha dogs but 10 years between them and did have a couple of minor spats at the start. The younger one now respects her elders, she was a pushy little bitch

What happens when the pushy little bitch is fully mature and starts to sense that the older girl has weakened a little?

Also,

How should tidierikx separate her bitches now? Rehome one? Put one down? Keep them in separate yards forever and hope like mad that one of the kids will never, ever leave a gate or door between them open?

Is supervision the key? Or are some people such good owners that their dogs would never dare to fight?

Not meaning to have a go, but it was a pretty big call to call somebody irresponsible, without explaining exactly what the responsible thing to do would have been.

I do not envy the choices in front of tidierikx right now.

My advice to the OP. Just get a male this time.

Well consider me the voice for the animals because I think as the human you are responsible for ensuring injuries like that don't happen. Yes mistakes happen and I agree but after you realise that the dogs will fight, and to that extent, you seperate them. How - I don't really give a rats how you do it - but you do it because it is the right thing to do and dogs should not have injuries like that

According to the below quote they will be running togethor again as soon as this lot of injuries heals up - which just blows my mind away

My girls are normally cruisy and placid... it's only happened about 4 times that they've gotten into it like that - the last time was a good 15 months ago... and they never hurt the foster babies...

I don't have a scar on my leg from trying to break them up though... *grin*... usually if they start it's way too fast for me to be in between them. I just have to play referee and try to reduce the amount of damage they do to each other until they wear themselves out. This one was worse because the police that came to assist were spraying capsicum spray everywhere and I couldn't get close enough to pull Trouble off when Zeddy went down - they should have done what I asked and grabbed Zeddy's back end while I had Trouble's and they would have come apart and stopped.

Both girls are having the last of their AB's today, but are still separated while the worst of the wounds heal enough.

Our family has 2 un-desexed bitches. There are only occasional growls when my younger dog annoys my other one (wanting to play) but that's about it. I've never had a problem with them. Before that we also had 2 desexed bitches and also had no problems. We've never had males... But I want to get one one day. :eek:

Maybe these two have sorted out their differences now, one would hope so after that barney. I dont think that is something they would want to do to each other every day?

I ve seen a few things that has made me laugh. My young one (the pushy little b) has tried on occasions to pinch the older ones bed, the older one just stands there till the young one vacates. Its so funny to see her reluctantly give the bed up.

On the other end the young one loves to pinch the older ones biscuits, she rushes up and grabs them then rushes back to her bed and eats them.

I,m home all day and they are rarely out of my sight.

I think it comes down to matching temperaments in any situation. It is hard to say whether two bitches together will be fine or have the odd scrap or fight to kill but then its hard to say if two males will face the same situations.

My family had two males who would certainly fight to the death if they weren't seperated and our family friends had a male and a bitch who would fight to the death also.

So in my oppinion it is always going to be speculation. There are plenty of people here who have had two or more who have had two bitches together and its been fine and some who haven't.

Maybe these two have sorted out their differences now, one would hope so after that barney. I dont think that is something they would want to do to each other every day?

It only needs to happen once. Bites to the legs are a concern. The bites to the face and ears are just self defence usually.

It only needs to happen once. Bites to the legs are a concern. The bites to the face and ears are just self defence usually.

That's how you know your Staffords are serious, when they take a leg out, they NEVER get run with the same dog or bitch again.

I run 4 bitches together, without issues. I have always run my girls and boys together, my only concerns are when the bitches are coming off season and they haven't been mated, they can get narky with one another. For that week, they are seperated as it's not worth the risk.

OK - to put all speculation to rest here about my 2 girls that had the fight...

Zeddy (the black dog) is nearly 11 years old - I've had her since she was 6 weeks old (FTGH from the Trading Post). She can't fight to save her life, and being older doesn't help either.

Trouble (the Labrador) is 4.5 years old - I've had her since she was 10 weeks old (came from Moree - not papered). Younger and fitter than Zeddy, so will always have the upper hand.

Both have Alpha tendencies when I am about - something that I am VERY aware of, and certainly correct them if they start vying for attention.

I'm not about to euthanaise either of them, and do have the facility to keep them separate if I have to. Neither have ever shown any animus towards other dogs or each other in public, and normally they are bestest buddies and enjoy cuddling up to each other on the couch or bed. Zeddy has always had at least one doggy companion, and Trouble has always had Zeddy.

I know exactly what has triggered each of the serious fights they have had, and no two fights have had the same trigger - because once known, we just don't allow that trigger to occur again - vigilance is definitely the key here... hence this fight being a very long time since the last one.

The injuries in this particular fight were not lessened by the Police intervention (heard me yelling at the dogs to stop and came over because they thought it was a domestic) - capsicum spray and bashing with boots and night sticks certainly didn't help the situation there... I had to back off and not intervene because of the amount of capsicum spray used...

My vets had no trouble handling both dogs in the same room to administer to them after the event, and have declared that though the damage looks to be nasty, most of it is actually quite superficial. In total, between both dogs, there were about 10 stitches. Most of the wounds will not even have scars once the hair grows back.

Do not doubt that I know I have some very serious thinking to do about my girls and whether or not I allow them to run together - or that I'm being at all frivolous about what course of action I will have to take from this point on. I certainly don't like having my girls try to kill each other - however irregular that has been.

T.

Cripes.. this wasn't something my parents or myself considered when we decided to get another female dog 7 years back (granted, I was only a kid but still LOL). I will definitely be more careful in the future..

We never had any problems.. the two dogs still and always will (I hope!) live happily together! Maybe we just got lucky.. but I wonder if perhaps the size difference had something to do with it. One of the dogs is rather large and the other one is a little white fluffy.. the little white fluffy is younger than the big dog and she was the new addition.. it was as though the pecking order was already sorted and they've never had a serious spat!

Younger and fitter than Zeddy, so will always have the upper hand.

Like I said, impossible to tell from a couple of photos, the bit that concerned me was the location of the bites on Zeddy. Whether one dog has the upper hand or not, I do not like to see bites to the legs, belly or throat (even from the underdog). The fact that they are superficial is a good sign. The fact that the two dogs do not normally appear to be stressed around each other is also a good sign. Worth getting an opinion from someone who can see them together and get a good history from you.

I do feel for you, and have some personal understanding of your situation.

I think two females have the most potential to fight than male/female and male/male combinations with less predictability. Personally if already having a female, I would get a male as the second dog :mad