We Did A Really Nice Kind Thing Today

Loraine

On our morning walk we came upon a group of very elderly, many in wheelchairs, folks from a nearby aged persons home. Most of them knew that Zedley is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier (one of the carers thought he was a Schnauzer :thumbsup: ), and they commented on how rare it is to see these dogs these days. They all wanted to give him a pat and a scratch. He is so laid back and friendly, he loved the extra pats and went to each and every person in turn. They are not even allowed to have birds in this particular home, so they said they would look out for us on our morning walks. Makes your heart sing :thumbsup:

Most of them knew that Zedley is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier (one of the carers thought he was a Schnauzer :thumbsup: )

funny that! many people i run into whilst walking my mini schnauzer seem to think he is a scottie?!

ahh. i guess all coated, bearded breeds are the same then, huh?

but it is lovely that you and zedley can bring some joy into these people's lives. even a pat with a dog can bring down blood pressure and whatnot, so you're also probably giving them a longer life. though whether they want a longer life in a home that won't allow animals is another question...

Thats lovely - I too have had the experience of sneaking my BC into a nursing home many years ago and she was welcomed with open arms and much joy. She in turn went to each person and gave them her undevided attention, gently standing 2 legs on beds of those who couldnt be up - it was a heartening experience I shall never forget.

It sux that the nursing home(your new friends are from) doesnt allow animals, I thought all nursing homes were enlightened to the benefits and joy they brought by now.

Maybe they need petitioning to bring them into the new mellenium - for the benefit of current and future inhabitants.

Aww, that is lovely!

I have been thinking about taking Honey to visit my OH's elderly grandfather and great aunty at their nursing home- I KNOW they would love her.

I should do more than think... :whip:

I'm on holidays next week- you have inspired me to look into it Lorraine! :confused:

I work in aged care and frequently raise this issue with what are now called residential facilities. There are some people who do not like animals and some who have allergies, and you only need one or two of those to find that animals are banned. there are a few places here where people can take their pets in, and there are a few which have resident dogs, and several have visiting animals, but l think it is good for old people to have access to dogs all the time. Perhaps some homes/residential facilities should be just for animal lovers.

Really makes me feel for the old folk who aren't allowed ANY animal companionship at all.. in most cases I'm sure it would do the individuals a world of good to have a pet. I hope I never get old enough to end up somewhere like that.. I'd rather be dead!

What a lovely thing to have done.. maybe you and Zedley should look into becoming some sort of pet therapy service! I'd love to do something like that, would be very rewarding I'm sure :cry:.

That's just lovely Loraine, good work.

A bit OT, but along similar lines... several years ago my (now passed) grandmother was staying in an aged care facility. When I went in to visit her this particular day, she told me that she saw a pony the previous day, and that she patted it and was about "so" high and was really friendly and beautiful. Well, I just smiled and said that it was lovely, but seriously thought she was losing her marbles.

I sort of forgot about it and didn't think of it again, until her funeral, when they had displayed lots of photos of nana. And guess what... one of these was taken not long before she passed away, where she was staying, and it was of her patting a cute pony from in her bed in her room at the facility. The carers had allowed the pony inside for the day so all the residents could spend some time with it.

I thought that was gorgeous. Boy was I wrong about nana and her mind going??!! :cry:

Edited by dyzney

When my Dad was in Palliative care before he passed away, he was telling nurses about my little dog and how lovely Lady was etc etc, the nurse told me that I could bring Lady in to the hospital that animals were often brought in if they were well behaved and on a lead or cats in cages etc. So every day for the 2 weeks before he died Lady came to the hospital and sat on the bed with him or curled up in a chair in the room she was very comfy.

One of the nurses asked me if she could take Lady around to visit some of the other patients who liked dogs but unfortunately she got as far as the door and Lady hit the brakes "I'm not going anywhere without my mum", so off I went with the nurse to a few patients rooms so they could have a pat and a cuddle you could see it lifted their spirits. My brother was horrified that I'd take the dog in to the hospital he just didn't get it really.