Agility Training Talk Thread

I really can't wait until I'm able to start trialling with Zeus. I hope I haven't left it too late because we're just starting out and he's 4 years 5 months old. He's a very quick study so I'm hoping it'll work out -- I'm just bummed about the break in training over Christmas, especially since I've just got off my backside to enrol in training!!

I've made weave poles from PVC pipes I bought at Bunnings and I was lucky enough to purchase a tunnel earlier this year. Any ideas on how to make jumps -- I currently use spare posts which I set up with the outdoor dining chairs :laugh: I also have a hula hoop that I cable tie to the seats to make a makeshift tyre jump!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumps are easy - get a couple of wooden broomstick handles. Cut in half. Or you can use a full handle for 1 upright but I use a half height set for training. Cut the head off a nail and glue in the bottom. Get some PVC T sections and cut in half for jump cups. Screw on at appropriate height. Grab length of PVC for bar.

Edited by ness

Jumps are easy - get a couple of wooden broomstick handles. Cut in half. Or you can use a full handle for 1 upright but I use a half height set for training. Cut the head off a nail and glue in the bottom. Get some PVC T sections and cut in half for jump cups. Screw on at appropriate height. Grab length of PVC for bar.

Can vouch for these..(thanks ness) ... but get yourself some jump cups from Clean Run ..will save you heaps of time and aggravation. ;-).

Edited by Tassie

• 4 weeks later...

Boohoo poor Elsie has hurt her semitendinosus muscle - it's really tight and sore! Doing massage, rest and pain killers for a bit, and seeing the osteo next month. Should be back to her regular self in a few weeks, lucky it's not a bad injury!

Poor Elsie!!! Hope the massage and rest helps her :crossfingers:

Last trial of the year for us last night (we usually finish mid December, but some lovely people organised us a fundraiser obedience and agility trial for this weekend, yay!) We had fun :)

Pippa bombed in both her novice agility and excellent jumping runs, but she did really well! She only missed the last weaver in agility, and ran around one jump in jumping - the rest was lovely and enthusiastic! So proud of this little dog :D

But the :D for me last night was a surprise quallie in masters jumping for BOTH my lab kids!! I walked it thinking there was no way we'd get around it, and if we did, we'd be so far over time. We managed to get through under time (just :o) thumbsup1.gif What a great end to the trialling year!! I plan to work on better handling to get them round that few seconds faster - I can already see a couple of things I could have done to reduce the time, so I'm looking forward to next year!

Here's the little ninja's agility run, damned weavers!!! :banghead:laugh.gif

@DD - poor Elsie. Hope all the treatments work well - are you like us and in a bit of an off season ... so she can have a good rest.

Yeah nothing on until early Feb, so she will be taking a little agility break for January!

Boohoo poor Elsie has hurt her semitendinosus muscle - it's really tight and sore! Doing massage, rest and pain killers for a bit, and seeing the osteo next month. Should be back to her regular self in a few weeks, lucky it's not a bad injury!

frown.gif Hope recovery goes well & she is back to normal soon

• 2 weeks later...

Elsie is well on the road to recovery, we've seen the osteo twice and she is heaps better. We'll be starting on lowered hurdles again this week and slowly building her back up, no A-frames or weaves just yet but should be ready in another two weeks for that!

Also thought I might share this here... A wetting for gaining a championship title! Getting any agility or jumpers champion or grand champion earns you a wetting/flouring/getting other junk poured on you! I've seen people thrown in creeks too, and rolled around in the mud LOL. Anything like that happen in Aus? :)

Cricket's effort this morning. Contacts are much, much better & his turns are getting good too. This run took 33.47 sec including the table for 16 obstacles Hope he can keep it up when trialing starts again !!! He is still to get his first Q in Agility :)

Awesome Sheena, fantastic weave entries too!

At the moment I have a lot of work to do with mine! Rusty and Biscuit both need work on weave entries, contacts, and Biscuit needs a bit of work on knowing which side of me to be on! I love the wrap around the last jump in the serpentine that Cricket did too, should probably get Rusty up to scratch on that!

When does your trialing season start up again? :)

Thanks :) At the moment he is going awesome :thumbsup: We have changed his contacts from running, back to 2o2o, over the break & we are up to randomly rewarding his contacts with treats or releasing, so hopefully he will always run to the bottom because he doesn't know what it is going to be. :) His weave poles improved out of sight when we started using a target at the end to keep him looking forward. Trialling starts in March at Coffs Harbour...he was a bit of a handful last year, so hopefully he has settled. :) We have also changed our direction cue from "here" to "come"...seems to work better.

Great work, sheena! And gosh I am so in love with your backyard!!

Thanks Ruby Star...we have 200 acres of it & it is lovely when it rains :) I love the way Cricket does a little "bow" on the table :D

Edited by sheena

Just dying waiting for training to go back for the year! I have missed it so much! Sadly my backyard where i am living at the moment is too small for much more than a single jump or two sets of 2x2 weaves!

Hudson was improving so much last year, can't wait!

First trial of 2014 today! Just a mini Jumping trial with 2 rings - 8am start (6am for people like me who helped set up) and all done and dusted by 10.30am in case the weather is awful. Blissfully it was COLD! I only entered Zig as I figured Em would still be attractive to the boys despite finishing her season in good time. As it was Zig was marking and flirting like the sexy lad he is! I have been working on speed over the break so that was today's challenge and to hell with the quallies. Just as well because I got lost on the JDO course lol - but I smoothly made up my own course and he ran really well. JDM was quicker again I thought but he just tipped a bar trying to wrap tightly at speed. I was very pleased and will keep working on shifting him up a gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I am looking for some online resources for 1 jump games, or small space exercises? I have a severely limited area in the new backyard and I am looking for something to keep Huddy interested between 2x2 weave sessions - he gets bored of these very fast, so I want to make sure I keep switching it up for him!

In this video from Clean Run, she is demonstrating how to train "push throughs" (backsides of jumps)....not sure if I missed something in the video, but wondering if anyone can explain to me why she has the extra pole leaning on the jump. I have my own ideas, as to it's purpose, but just wondering what others think, that have taught the "push through" :)

ETA,,,never mind...I just read the "disclaimer"...I skipped through that before, as I thought it had to do with copyright :laugh:

Edited by sheena