New Neighbourhood

kirsty79

Hey everyone,

Advice needed pls! Me, OH and two furkids have just moved into what we thought was a better area. We met one of our neighbours for the first time yesterday – lovely lady, really nice. Chatting for a while and I explained that Fred and Jessie were a little unsettled at the moment what with the move and if they were barking during the day whilst we were at work for her to tell us. She said, actually they had been – a lot. She then explained that a couple of doors down, a less than pleasant set of neighbours had dogs that barked consistently, all the time, day and night so the other neighbours dropped them a note asking if they would kindly do something. Reasonable but the owners did nothing. The neighbours then contacted the real estate, who stated it wasn’t their problem they’d have to contact the council. So after several times of asking the owners to do something and being ignored or receiving a rude response, they went to the council. Again this was ignored. Our new neighbour then explained that 2 weeks ago, this persons dogs had been poisoned!!!! I’m absolutely appalled at this and I’m now petrified for the safety of my two. They are not consistent barkers but do bark occasionally during the day. Normally happens if there are cats, kids or birds nearby. They cannot stay inside during the day, and the garden no matter where you are is easily accessed by someone throwing something over the fence.

So please, suggestions as to what I can do about their barking? I’ve seen these like “muzzles” which allow them to eat, drink and pant but not bark. I hate the idea of using these during the day, but maybe as a last resort? Does anyone have any experience? Will training teach them not to bark? I really haven’t a clue what to do!

Edited by kirsty79

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh :p

You cannot leave muzzles on unsupervised dogs . Too dangerous.

You may have to build a secure run... with a solid roof - so that nothing can be easily thrown to the dogs.

Perhaps get a professional in to help with the barking .

What a dilemma !

I've never used them, but had a neighbour who did as her dogs barked non stop when they left the house (and of course they worked night shifts!).... the zapping collars. I think if the dog goes to bark it zaps them.

A bit drastic, but I think the theory is that they only bark twice and they learn....

I can understand constant barking would be annoying, but surely they can forgive the occasional bark???? They are dogs!!! That is what they do!

Try bark collars. I would also talk to the neighbours before a problem starts. Im a great believer in penning my dogs up when Im not there. The dogs learn that thats when they are of duty and relax eg cant see every bird etc that moves. Good luck

The muzzle I’d seen wasn’t a zapper one – I would never be able to use one on Fred or Jess! I’m too soft. It was just a normal one but allowed enough movement for food, drink etc. I really don’t want to use one to be honest. The enclosed run with a roof might be the only solution. Would be expensive I guess? At least I wouldn’t be worrying all day.

I’d hoped people would cut us some slack. The dogs are inside and quiet all evening and all night so they are never making any noise when people are sleeping. Trouble is, Jessie is 12 and getting deaf – she doesn’t realise hold loud she is bless her!

Is there any possibility of leaving the dogs inside when you're not home (crated or in 1 room)? We do this with our dogs so we never have a barking problem. If I hear them barking when I'm home I always investigate & scold them if they're barking at nothing (happens very rarely - it's usually the neighbours dog outside or a stranger approaching the house that sets them barking)

I would never be able to use one on Fred or Jess! I’m too soft.

If you are 'too soft' to use an anti bark collar- then I hope you can find another solution .... Anti bark collars do what is needed- they provide either a distaction ,or an aversive when the dog barks too much. simple . It doesn't hurt the dog at any other time ..and it is only for a fraction of a second. A smart dog will learn VERY quickly what is going on, and stop doing what makes for a bit of unpleasantness :p

have a read HERE for a thread on Anti bark collar use :laugh:

Hey kirsty!

I can understand your concern and if I was you I'd be trying to find a way to make sure my dogs were safe too.

But I did just want to mention a couple of things.

1. It's important to note that your neighbour said the people whose dogs were poisoned were "less than pleasant" - so bear in mind the poisoning may have been related to something else and not a usual occurence in your neighbourhood. Who knows what kind of enemys they made or for what reasons. You - on the other hand - don't seem "less than pleasant" so you and your dogs are less likely to attract such a nasty attack.

2. It sounds like the neighbours tried very hard to resolve the dog issue with these people so if they had a problem with your dogs they will let you know and be open to discussing it with you

3. I had a similar thing happen when I moved to Mildura years ago. More than one neighbour told me about another neighbour's dogs being poisoned. Yet, even tho my dallies barked a bit when I was at work, I got nothing but friendly responses to them from everyone in the area. I suspect, again, that the poisoning was either something the dog owner made up (for god knows what reason) or related to something else as he was also "less than pleasant".

I just mention these things because I know what its like and I wouldn't want you to stress too much. Like others have said, talk to your neighbours about your dogs and let them know you are a reasonable dog owner and willing to ensure everyone's okay with your dogs.

If you can let them be inside at all that will help. Mine are fine about being left indoors for a while.

I would never be able to use one on Fred or Jess! I’m too soft.

If you are 'too soft' to use an anti bark collar- then I hope you can find another solution .... Anti bark collars do what is needed- they provide either a distaction ,or an aversive when the dog barks too much. simple . It doesn't hurt the dog at any other time ..and it is only for a fraction of a second. A smart dog will learn VERY quickly what is going on, and stop doing what makes for a bit of unpleasantness :p

have a read HERE for a thread on Anti bark collar use :laugh:

I am going to put it in plainer language.......toughen up or you may have a dead one.

I am not saying it to be nasty, I am saying it to keep the dog alive. :laugh:

Edited by oakway

I can understand constant barking would be annoying, but surely they can forgive the occasional bark???? They are dogs!!! That is what they do!

Ever lived near a dog that barked all day and every day? Even I sometimes feel like going down and wringing the owner's neck.

I've lived near a dog who barked all night... so yes, I can understand. But there is a difference between constant barking and the occasional yap. From the OP's description, her dogs aren't constant barkers.

Go with the collar.

The "muzzles" that you are asking about are Hushers - like an elastic muzzle that the dog wears and prevents it from barking as trying to open the mouth to do so becomes tiring for the dog. Personally I wouldn't use one, le alone leave one on all day. An electric bark collar would be safer and more effective :p

Spottychic has a good point, but so does Oakway..

If it were me I'd be building a roofed run for my own peace of mind if nothing else. The dogs may be less likely to bark in a run if they have semi limited vision outside of it too.

What breed/size are your dogs? You can have a large, solid roofed run professionally built for $700-$1000, less for something smaller and if you're handy with that kind of thing you could easily build one for a couple of hundred dollars.

eta: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DOG-RUN-CAGE-ENCLOS...=item3a59080819

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories.php?cat...B47%7D-Dog-Runs

Edited by SecretKei

The "muzzles" that you are asking about are Hushers - like an elastic muzzle that the dog wears and prevents it from barking as trying to open the mouth to do so becomes tiring for the dog. Personally I wouldn't use one, le alone leave one on all day. An electric bark collar would be safer and more effective

X2

My dogs are safely indoors when I am not home, this gives me peace of mind that they are as safe as can be and that they are not causing anybody problems with fence running, any sheep attacks in the district are definitely not my dogs and also importantly they are safe from people :p

I would never leave my dogs in a situation that could injure/kill them, maybe inside is your option if you wont use a bark collar-however have you thought of the bark collar that squirts citronella?

Ever lived near a dog that barked all day and every day? Even I sometimes feel like going down and wringing the owner's neck.

I've lived near a dog who barked all night... so yes, I can understand. But there is a difference between constant barking and the occasional yap. From the OP's description, her dogs aren't constant barkers.

Go with the collar.

Hi Kirsty,

Lots of good advice given.Nothing more stressful than constant barking for hours be it day or night,it is absoltely hell on every-ones nerves.Very stressful also if Council are notified & are on your back,always best not to come to their attention.Some councils after several notices & the barking continues you have the choice of having to move house or remove the dogs......rather drastic.My daughter had a "barker" she invested in the battery collar,dog soon learned not to bark as she was zapped,eventually just tricked her as in leaving the collar on but no battery in it.

A "barker" will set the whole neighbourhood of dogs off,they all join in.

If it meant parting with my dog because it was a barker I would use the collar or look into de-barking.

An enclosure as suggested may also be a solution,either way you will have to toughen up.Also costs money doing any of the suggestions being a responsible dog owner.

Test what is right for a solution re your situation

There are such people that come out access the situation re stopping the barking believe they are called "Bark Busters" how successful they are I have no idea or what they charge,others on here would most likely have first hand experience to report.

Best of luck & keep us in the loop.

There were other Posts last week about this very problem,one I think was under "What's in the News"forum,may be some tips for u in there to read.

I would look into either the enclosed run, the possibility of crating while you are out, or a behaviourist.

Please do not consider the Anti bark or shock collars without doing your research. They can cause a lot of damage and you run the risk of doing more harm then good to your dog http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/ph...id=135249950615

The other option is to look online for dog walkers. Depending on where you are, there are people who will come to your house and walk your dog during the day. Do you have a friend or family member who could be able to walk your dogs? Before I got my own dog I used to go to my friends house and walk his dog during the day. I would end up taking his dog back to my place for a play in the yard and dropped the dog home before my friend got home..

Good luck with it though, my worst fear is people poisoning my dog.

For people who keep their dogs inside during the day, are your dogs small or big? I would like to leave my two in all day but one is rather large and if I do they're manic by the time we get home. :rofl:

Mine are in between - dalmatians. I wouldn't leave them inside ALL day without a break tho - I have been known to come home around lunch time and take them for a BIG walk then put them back inside and go back to work (LOL a bit exhausting but kept me fit). They were usually fine because they just slept while I was gone.

I don't know what other bigger dogs would be like tho. And it's not ideal. I actually only did this when I rented a house with inadequate fencing until I could get the fencing fixed. Other times I actually leave them ACCESS to the inside while I'm away but they can also hang around outside.

For people who keep their dogs inside during the day, are your dogs small or big? I would like to leave my two in all day but one is rather large and if I do they're manic by the time we get home. :rofl:

I leave my elderly Kelpie, Whippet and Bull Arabx inside for up to 5 hours when I go to work, usually the Bull Arabx is in her crate in the lounge as she has eaten part of the house when left inside, I give her a kong and pig ear and she is happy.

The other 2 have the run of the house and are no problem at all, usually asleep when I get home :D