Food Intolerance And Elimination Diets

I am doing a diet trial with Sofia (just turned 2) at present and her system is overloading when I challenge her with different vegetables namely carrot, sweet potato and potato so far. The rest of her diet (homemade chicken and yogurt) has stayed the same and I’ve watched all her symptoms come at the introduction of these different vegetables and improve when she goes off them.

So for those who have gone down the elimination diet/food intolerance path has anyone ever encountered an intolerance specifically to vegetable proteins? What veg have you tried, what’s worked and what’s failed? Normally, or so I thought, the meat proteins are the usual suspects for problems but not in this case. And are some vegies more likely to cause a reaction than others? I am trying to research this and while lots has been written on meat intolerance, grains and dairy, not much has been written on vegies.

I am doing a diet trial with Sofia (just turned 2) at present and her system is overloading when I challenge her with different vegetables namely carrot, sweet potato and potato so far. The rest of her diet (homemade chicken and yogurt) has stayed the same and I’ve watched all her symptoms come at the introduction of these different vegetables and improve when she goes off them.

So for those who have gone down the elimination diet/food intolerance path has anyone ever encountered an intolerance specifically to vegetable proteins? What veg have you tried, what’s worked and what’s failed? Normally, or so I thought, the meat proteins are the usual suspects for problems but not in this case. And are some vegies more likely to cause a reaction than others? I am trying to research this and while lots has been written on meat intolerance, grains and dairy, not much has been written on vegies.

Carrot, sweet potato etc don't contain protein. Have you tried rice as the filler?

One other thing you might try is Quinoa. Although a vegetable, it actually does contain complete protein and would be a novel food for nearly all dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks Pers, maybe it is starch or sugar? Just trying to put my finger on what these vegies have in common.

PF I will try grains too but am hoping to make my way through a few more vegies first.

Carrot, sweet potato etc don't contain protein. Have you tried rice as the filler?

One other thing you might try is Quinoa. Although a vegetable, it actually does contain complete protein and would be a novel food for nearly all dogs.

Agree with this. Only some vegetables contain protein (beans, legumes etc are high in protein). Root veges, as a rule, don't.

A friend of mine had her allergy dog tested and the results ame back that he was allergic to some veg along with other household/garden allergens. she sent me a copy of his test results and it was pretty amazing what was tested for and what he was allergic too - maybe this would be an easier and more time efficent way to help your girl?

A friend of mine had her allergy dog tested and the results ame back that he was allergic to some veg along with other household/garden allergens. she sent me a copy of his test results and it was pretty amazing what was tested for and what he was allergic too - maybe this would be an easier and more time efficent way to help your girl?

the trouble with allergy testing is it only works if your dog is allergic (immediate immune response) versus intollerant. I have been allergy tested and came back fine, but I am intollerant of many things (I still get swelling and extreme itching/feel like someone has poured a vat of acid over me). That is why the elimination diet is often suggested as you get to see the build up of results, rather than a one off.

Jules thanks for that chart. No they are not normally the sort of vegies that cause problems but they are for my girl which is why I'm looking for any possible commonalties.

Anne all vegies have protein, be it in small amounts. Sweet potato actually has the highest amount of protein in a root vege. Maybe vege protein isn't the issue, I'm just hazarding a guess at the moment.

Becks I have been down the derm and allergy testing path with my boy and while it cost a lot of money and diagnosed problems, it didn't help with a solution, I still had to figure it out myself. I am already seeing good results with my girl in the first few weeks of my diet trial so I don't feel the need to put her through that sort of testing at this stage.

From Allergy Net

Adverse Reactions:

IGE AND IMMUNE:

Allergic reactions.

IgE antibodies to sweet potato have been measured in children (Matsumaru 1992 ref.328 43) (Yamada 1992 ref.213 34) and in adults (Konatsu 1992 ref.214 34) using Pharmacia CAP System.

Other species of Ipomea are involved in allergic pollinosis. (Mondal 1998 ref.7017 3)

Infantile food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) is a severe, cell-mediated gastrointestinal food hypersensitivity typically provoked by cow's milk or soy. This study reports on other foods causing this syndrome: 14 infants with FPIES caused by grains (rice, oat, and barley), vegetables (sweet potato, squash, string beans, peas), or poultry (chicken and turkey) were identified. Symptoms of typical FPIES are delayed (median: 2 hours) and include the onset of vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy/dehydration. Eleven infants (78%) reacted to >1 food protein, including 7 (50%) that reacted to >1 grain. Nine (64%) of all patients with solid food-FPIES also had cow's milk and/or soy-FPIES. Initial presentation was severe in 79% of the patients, prompting sepsis evaluations (57%) and hospitalization (64%) for dehydration or shock. None of the patients developed FPIES to maternally ingested foods while breastfeeding unless the causal food was fed directly to the infant. (Nowak-Wegrzyn 2003 ref.7791 5)

NON IMMUNE:

Sweet potatoes contain phytoalexins that can cause lung edema and are hepatotoxic to mice. (Beier 1990 ref.1683 2)

Sweet potato may be infected with the mould, Fusarium solani, which produces a toxic substance, furanoterpenoid. (Parasakthy 1993 ref.7013 3)

Allergens/Function:

Allergens:

Sol t 1, patatin, a 43 kDa heat stable storage protein. (Seppala 1999 ref.4015 3) (Seppala 2000 ref.3651 2) (Majamaa 2001 ref.4713 2)

Sol t 2, a cathepsin D inhibitor. (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

Sol t 3.0101, a cysteine protease inhibitor. (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

Sol t 3.0102 (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

Sol t 4, an aspartic protease inhibitor. (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

A profilin has been detected. (Ebner 1995 ref.14 122) (van Ree 1992 ref.1658 3)

A chitinase has been isolated from potato plant. (Verburg 1992 ref.7279 5) (Whether this chitinase occurs in the tuber, and the allergenicity of this chitinase was not evaluated. Ed.)

The molecular weights of Sol t 2, Sol t 3.0101, Sol t 3.0102 and Sol t 4 ranged from 16-20 kDa. The 20 kDa proteins were identified as cathepsin D and cysteine protease inhibitors and the 16 kDa protein as aspartic protease inhibitor. All these allergens are structurally-related to the family of the Kunitz-type soybean trypsin inhibitors. (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

In ELISA, 51% of the sera of the 39 atopic children showed specific IgE to Sol t 2, 43% to Sol t 3.0101, 58% to Sol t 3.0102, and 67% to Sol t 4, respectively. (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 7)

Potato has been reported to contain heat-labile proteins; thus cooked potato is usually well tolerated. However, Majamaa et al. report that Sol t 1 is heat-stable;

immediate and delayed reactions, i.e. exacerbation of atopic dermatitis, were documented after oral challenge to cooked potato in a study, indicating the presence of a heat-stable allergen. (Majamaa 2001 ref.4713 2)

In this study, the allergenic proteins appear to be a 20 kDa protein (7/12 (58%) infants showed IgE-binding to these proteins) and a 16 kDa and 18 kDa protein (3/12 (25%) of infants reacted to these). (Seppala 2001 ref.4225 3)

In ELISA, 20 of 27 (74%) children with positive skin prick test responses to potato and none of the control subjects showed specific binding of IgE antibodies to purified patatin. A positive wheal-and-flare reaction was seen in 8 of 14 children prick tested with purified patatin. (Seppala 1999 ref.4015 5)

This study concludes that the heat lability of patatin (Sol t 1, the major potato allergen) -IgE interaction is explained by aggregation of patatin with other potato proteins rather than by denaturation of patatin itself. (Koppelman 2002 ref.6992 1)

Patatin was identified as major cross-reactive potato allergen. Seventy-five percent of the potato-sensitized people reacted with patatin in 1-D immunoblots, and 25% of the positive reactions to Hev b 7 could be blocked by preincubation of the patients' sera with purified potato patatin. Examination of children with atopic dermatitis showed that most sera contained patatin-specific IgE, whereas no Hev b 7-specific IgE was detected. Finally, patatin has been found partially stable to digestion in vitro. (Schmidt 2002 ref.7105 2)

A [beta]-amylase present at low activity in tubers stored at 20 degrees C and induced progressively when temperatures are decreased to 5 and 3 C has been isolated. (Nielsen 1997 ref.7254 4) The clinical significance of this protein has not been determined.

A serine proteinase inhibitor has been isolated from potato which shows a high degree of homology to the other Kunitz-type proteinase inhibitors from plants. (Valueva 2000 ref.7260 4) The clinical significance of this protein has not been determined.

Patatin could be separated in four isoform pools, denoted A, B, C, and D, representing 62%, 26%, 5%, and 7% of the total amount of patatin, respectively. All isoforms of the patatin family contained proteins with two molecular masses of approximately 40.3 and 41.6 kDa, respectively. (Pots 1999 ref.7265 3)

Hev b 7 is a Hevea brasiliensis latex allergen with sequence identities of 39% to 42% to patatins recently identified as potato allergens. (Sowka 1999 ref.7266 5)

Three protein inhibitors of proteolytic enzymes with molecular weights 21, 22, and 23 kD were isolated from potato. The 21- and 22-kD proteins were shown to be serine proteinase inhibitors with different specificities. These proteins have significant homology to other plant inhibitors from the Kunitz soybean inhibitor superfamily. (Valueva 1997 ref.7272 1) (Whether these proteins have allergenic potential has not been determined. Ed.)

Potato tuber contains a number of chitin-binding proteins. (Millar 1992 ref.7278 7) (This is not a chitinase - the allergenicity of these chitin-binding proteins was not evaluated. Ed.)

Adverse Reactions:

IGE AND IMMUNE:

Rhino-conjunctivitis, asthma, contact urticaria and protein contact dermatitis have been described. A middle-aged atopic housewife with pre-existent atopic dermatitis suffered from rhino-conjunctivitis, asthma, and contact urticaria when pealing raw potatoes, but her main complaint was intense, treatment-resistant dermatitis of the face. (Jeannet-Peter 1999 ref.4715 5)

Eczema (dermatitis), itching of the mouth, rhinitis, conjunctivitis, asthma, urticaria, and Quincke's oedema. Angioedema. Pain in the throat. Hypotension. Sneezing. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea.

Two housewives, in whom peeling raw potatoes precipitated rhinoconjunctivitis and asthmatic attacks, and, in one of them, contact urticaria. (Quirce 1989 ref.344 56)

Contact urticaria to potato was demonstrated in a 26-year-old male with atopic dermatitis, birch-pollen rhinoconjunctivitis and a history of immediate finger itching upon handling raw potato. The potato peel was non-reactive. (Larko 1983 ref.964 53)

Dyspnoea. Cutaneous complaint. Gastrointestinal and nasal symptoms. Laryngeal oedema. Abdominal pain. Atopic dermatitis.

Itching and tingling with or without oedema of the lips, mouth and tongue were the most common complaints after eating raw fruits and vegetables. In addition, laryngeal and abdominal disturbances, rhinitis and hand dermatitis were recorded (Hannuksela 1977 ref.462 43)

Contact urticaria (Meynadier 1982 ref.1551 3)

A middle-aged atopic housewife with pre-existent atopic dermatitis suffered from rhino-conjunctivitis, asthma, and contact urticaria when pealing raw potatoes, but her main complaint was intense, treatment-resistant dermatitis of the face. (Jeannet-Peter 1999) Peeling of raw potatoes may cause allergic symptoms, such as sneezing, wheezing, and contact urticaria, for adults. (Seppala 1999 ref.4015 3)

Contact urticaria and airborne allergic dermatitis in a 44-year-old woman, who developed eczematous plaques, sometimes confluent erythema on her face, itchy and runny eyes and nose, sneezing, wheezing and asthma when she peeled raw potatoes. (Peter 1999 ref.3305 2)

Allergic contact urticaria from raw potato. A 19-year-old man exhibited symptoms of immediate urticaria and angioedema related to contact with raw potato. A prick-by-prick test with potato pulp and rub test were positive. Specific IgE to potato was positive. (Gomez 2001 ref.4639 3)

Oral Allergy Syndrome. (Ortolani 1988 ref.206 23) (Ortolani 1989 ref.39 433)

Anaphylaxis. An 11-year-old girl, exclusively breast-fed for her first 4 months, developed anaphylactic symptoms after ingestion of cooked potato at 5 months of age when she was fed potato for the first time. Subsequently, she developed urticaria, angioedema, and respiratory and systemic symptoms on contact with potatoes, ingestion of potatoes, and exposure to cooking potatoes or potato pollen. (Castells 1986 ref.345 68)

Food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis. (Caffarelli 1996 ref.6604 0) (Caffarelli 1997 ref.617 10)

Atopic dermatitis in children less than 1 year of age caused by cooked potatoes. (Hannuksela 1977 ref.462 43)

Anaphylaxis induced by exercise and related to multiple food intake. (Caffarelli 1997 ref.617 43)

Asthma induced by aerosolised potato particles while peeling potatoes. (Quirce 1989 ref.344 56) (Nater 1967 ref.548 58)

Reactions occur to ingestion of potato, or inhalation of the plant pollen. (Castells 1986 ref.345 68)

Twelve infants with atopic dermatitis (AD) and suspected to have adverse reactions to potatoes, were examined. The skin-rubbing test with raw potato was positive in seven (58%) and the oral challenge positive in eight (67%) infants. One infant presented with an immediate reaction and seven with a delayed reaction, i.e. exacerbation of AD, after oral challenge responses to cooked potato. Nine (75%) infants had IgE antibodies to Sol t 1 in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), and SPT to natural Sol t 1 was positive in six (50%) potato-allergic infants. (Majamaa 2001 ref.4713 2)

This report describes a 4-year-old with raw potato-induced anaphylaxis. He rapidly developed urticaria, angioedema, respiratory distress, vomiting and diarrhea after biting into a raw potato that was being used for painting in preschool. (Beausoleil 2001 ref.4714 5)

A 4 year old boy exhibited contact urticaria from raw potato but was able to eat cooked potato. (Delgado 1996 ref.4716 2)

Of 392 patients allergic to birch, grass and mugwort, cat or house dust mite, 92 were positive on testing to apple, 68 to potato, 64 to carrot, 63 to celery, 61 to peach and 44 to melon. (Bircher 1994 ref.1713 5)

Eggs, milk, wheat, fish, potato, and pork meat are the foods most frequently associated with childhood asthma. (Sabbah 1990 ref.1399 4)

In this latex allergy study, positive food skin tests occurred most frequently with avocado (53%), potato (40%), banana (38%), tomato (28%), chestnut (28%), and kiwi (17%). (Beezhold 1996 ref.84 479)

Crossreactivity.

OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE:

Food industry, Farming

Occupational eczema. (Veien 1983 ref.1688 6) Occupational protein contact dermatitis. (Iliev 1998 ref.2097 3)

Occupational allergy - sneezing and wheezing during peeling of potatoes. (Pearson 1966 ref.549 36)

Potato flour and starch are reported to be not allergic. (Wahl 1990 ref.58 231) However, another study concluded that exposure to dust made airborne during the refining process of potato starch may cause work-related respiratory symptoms. (Hollander 1994 ref.1692 1)

A high prevalence of work-related respiratory symptoms in relation to organic dust exposure have been reported in the potato processing industry. This study concludes that occupational respiratory exposure leads to a strong humoral immune response, most pronounced for IgG4 subclass antibodies. Type III allergy is, however, unlikely to play a predominant role in the aetiology of respiratory effects. (Zock 1996 ref.7000 8)

The prevalence of work-related symptoms in 61 workers of a potato processing plant located in eastern Poland, was 67.2%. Subjects reported at least one symptom associated with their job. Pulmonary symptoms were recorded in 28/61 (45.9%) subjects. The most commonly recorded complaints were: cough (44.3%), hoarseness (19.7%), shortness of breath (18%), followed by headache and skin lesion (13.1% each), and eye and nose irritation (11.5%). (Milanowski 2002 ref.7251 4) The frequency of positive precipitin reactions to Agromyces ramosus, Alcaligenes faecalis, Thermoactinomyces vulgaris, Penicillium citrinum and Acinetobacter calcoaceticus was significantly greater in the subgroup of 28 workers reporting work-related pulmonary symptoms compared to 33 asymptomatic workers (p < 0.05). Study results suggest that antigens of Agromyces ramosus, Alcaligenes faecalis, Thermoactinomyces vulgaris and Penicillium citrinum should be considered as potential occupational allergens, probably stimulating an adverse immunopathological reaction in the exposed potato processing workers. (Dutkiewicz 2002 ref.7252 3)

This study concludes that significant across-shift decreases in lung function of potato processing workers is related to endotoxin exposure levels above 53 EU/m3 over 8 hr. (Zock 1998 ref.7271 1)

Occupational allergy to the plant pollen. (Gerth van Wijk 1989 ref.8704 3)

NON IMMUNE:

It is known that members of the UK Bangladeshi community consume potato leaves (which contain solanine and alpha-chaconine). This study demonstrates that the consumption of moderate quantities of potato tops (2-5 g/kg body weight/day) is unlikely to represent an acute health hazard to humans. (Phillips 1996 ref.1690 3) Green potatoes are also at risk. See also: Solanine.

In this study, potato herb (Solanum tuberosum) was found to contain temazepam and diazepam (valium) ranging approximately from 70 to 450 ng/g cell tissue. This is the first report on the endogenous formation of benzodiazepines by plant cells. The formation of these by the interaction of microorganisms and environmental factors was excluded. (Kawadias 2000 ref.4886 6)

Mateo et al. report on acute recurrent pancreatitis lasting for 8-10 years, which they attribute to allergy to beef, milk, potato, fish and eggs. (Mateo 1990 ref.1597 1)

Adverse Reactions:

IGE AND IMMUNE:

Two patients are described, one with sneezing, rhinorrhoea, contact urticaria, coughing and wheezing (asthma) after handling raw carrots, and a second with oropharyngeal itching, a swollen throat,hoarseness and asthma. (Quirce 1997 ref.1715 2)

Rhinitis. Angioedema and laryngeal oedema. Atopic dermatitis. Urticaria. One of the commonest causes of contact dermatitis of the hands. (Sinha 1977 ref.340 5) Throat swelling. Wheezing. Itching. Swelling. Bronchospasm. Hypotension. Rhinoconjunctivitis. Oral itching.

Itching and tingling with or without oedema of the lips, mouth and tongue were the most common complaints after eating raw fruits and vegetables. In addition, laryngeal and abdominal disturbances, rhinitis and hand dermatitis were recorded. (Hannuksela)

Contact urticaria.(Meynadier 1982 ref.1551 8) Allergic contact dermatitis. (Murdoch 2000 ref.3833 3) (Ottolenghi 1995 ref.6803 1)

Anaphylaxis (Munoz 1985 ref.572 84) (Lopez 1991 ref.53 839)

Oral Allergy Syndrome. (Jordan-Wagner 1993 ref.121 82) Oral allergy syndrome. (Ortolani 1988 ref.6933 1) Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. Oral pruritis.

In this patient, ingestion of 60 ml freshly squeezed carrot juice two hours after intake of 100 mg aspirin induced striking angioedema and shortness of breath after three further hours, whereas challenged with each on separate occasions did not result in any reaction. (Schöpf 2000 ref.3575 2)

Eosinophilic cystitis (Sanchez 1984 ref.1031 8)

Carrot is frequently involved in food allergies and oral allergy syndromes, usually in association with other foods. Nevertheless, carrot alone is rarely responsible for severe systemic reactions. We report a case of anaphylactic shock due to the inadvertent ingestion of carrot as a hidden allergen contained in an ice-cream. (Schiappoli 2002 ref.6908 4)

Crossreactive.

In this Polish study, the most positive skin prick tests with food allergens were nuts, celery, rye flour, carrot, strawberry, pork and beans. (Hofman 1998 ref.1709 2) In this German study, patients had allergens to celery in 44.5%, followed by carrots (14.4%) and spices (16.6%). (Muhlemann 1991 ref.1710 2)

In a study of 99 children with atopic dermatitis, hen egg was the most common food allergen in children under 1 year of age. After that age, apple, carrot, pea, and soybean elicited positive reactions as often as egg. (Hannuksela)

In 173 patients with food allergy (predominantly adults) attending the University of Zurich, the most frequent food allergens were found to be celery in 40.5%, carrots (20%), green beans (6%), eggs (21%), milk and dairy products (20%) and fish (12%). (Hofer 1985 ref.1712 8)

Of 392 patients allergic to birch, grass and mugwort, cat or house dust mite, 92 were sensitive to apple, 68 to potato, 64 to carrot, 63 to celery, 61 to peach and 44 to melon. (Bircher)

Allergic reactions to carrot affect up to 25% of food-allergic subjects. (Ballmer-Weber 2001 ref.4309 2)

OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE:

Food industry

Occupational eczema (Veien 1983 ref.1688 2)

NON IMMUNE:

Phytodermatitis (Poljacki 1993 ref.1055 4)

Phytophotodermatitis (Egan 1993 ref.1057 3)

Recurrence of papilledema in a patient with documented idiopathic intracranial hypertension led to the discovery that she consumed large quantities of raw carrots to help maintain her weight. Her increased vitamin A levels normalized, and the disc edema resolved when she stopped eating carrots. (Donahue 2000 ref.6913 4)

Monoamine oxidase inhibiting activity of Daucus carota. (Gupta 1973 ref.6907 2)

Carrot addiction is described in this article. The basis for the addiction is believed to be beta carotene, found in carrots. (Kaplan 1996 ref.6918 2)

Carrot juice xanthoderma: an orange patient with multiple myeloma. (Clegg 1993 ref.6928 4) Carotenemia and extensive caries of primary teeth were the consequence of excessive consumption of carrot products in nursing bottles in children of ages 1 to 5. (Wetzel 1989 ref.6932 4)

Carrot soup as the cause of methemoglobinemia in an infant. (Sernia 1984 ref.6934 8) The cause appears to be due to the soup being rich in nitrate and nitrite. (Blanc 1983 ref.6935 6) Five cases of toxic methemoglobinaemia are reported. Four of them were observed in newborns and the remaining one in a toddler. Acute gastroenteritis, carrot soup and spinach were recognized as etiologic factors. (Arranz 1981 ref.6937 4)

No offence, but many people would not be able to decipher this and so directly quoting it is possibly wasted time, also, it is ovbiously human reactions that these papers are written on. Two different species with different immuno responses.

not all allergies are species specific, and the basics of the canine immune system are still almost identical to the human. Actually immunoresponses to allergens work in the same way as in people, thats why the desensitisation injections and antihistamines work. Why do you think many drugsand procedures from people are given to dogs?

There are enough people on this forum who could use this. I listed it simply as multiple different immune reactions to these basic vegetables have been noted so maybe they actually are causing a problem for the OPS dog.

Most drugs are tested on animals first before they are used on humans, that is the primary reason many drugs are the same or similar. However, you may be right about immunity, I dont profess to being an expert in any way shape or form. :cry:

The information is the quotes is high tech. Even I have some difficulty absorbing some of it and while I am not a scientist, I do have above average intelligence. I was simply giving my opinion on the information you copied though.

Whilst I am sure there will be some who get something from it, the average reader probably would find it easier to have more user friendly info given. JMHO as they say.

Edited by ~Anne~

This is kind of steering your topic in a different direction, but have you thought about not feeding your dog veggies? :cry:

Dogs truly don't *need* them and do very well :cry: on a diet based on (raw) meaty meat, meaty bones and offal. Afterall, they are carnivores...

You could try http://www.rawlearning.com/ for more information.

Eliminating veg from their diet may almost certainly solve the problem, if they are indeed allergic/intolerant of veg "proteins".

Sonia

This is kind of steering your topic in a different direction, but have you thought about not feeding your dog veggies? :laugh:

I must admit that was my first reaction too - if they are intolerant of something that is not essential why not just eliminate vegies. Or at least all root vegetables if they seem to be the issue.

• 2 months later...

Old Topic....... But still relevant to me.

Did you have any luck with your elimination diet?

Casey appears to have developed an allergy to carrots, it wasn't affecting her pancreatitis but caused severe skin irritation.

We thought we were doing a 'good' thing by giving her 'healthy' carrots as a treat instead of dog treats (due to the pancreatitis).

Just looking to see if anyone else's dog is intolerant of carrots?

Old Topic....... But still relevant to me.

Did you have any luck with your elimination diet?

Casey appears to have developed an allergy to carrots, it wasn't affecting her pancreatitis but caused severe skin irritation.

We thought we were doing a 'good' thing by giving her 'healthy' carrots as a treat instead of dog treats (due to the pancreatitis).

Just looking to see if anyone else's dog is intolerant of carrots?

My dog seems fine with carrots but I dont give them often. If you are looking for a healthy snack you can give pear or banana - the dermatologists recommend them for dogs with allergies. My dog just cant have beef, turkey, chicken or wheat.