Humping

I really don't like it when other dogs hump Lottie - my friends little Koolie humps her ALLLL the time and it's so annoying!! I'm constantly pulling him off!!

My sisters dog Astro is funny - she can walk under Lottie (my aussie shep) and Dexta (my sisters other dog - Rotti) tummy and fit quite nicely and does it to get them to hump her :thumbsup: . It is pretty funny to see - but I don't let it happen!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Cavs usually only hump each other, and only when excited about something eg getting ready to go for a walk, after a bath, just before tea ...

We over look it if its only for a few seconds, but if they get too silly and it goes on for too long, we do tell them off.

It doesn't happen all the time, and they don't hump anything else. We don't tend to make a big deal out it :thumbsup:

ps.. I think Joey might have gotten a bit excited once when a friend bought her female cavs (desexed) over for a visit, but we did tell him off, and stopped him. Once again it was just because he was in a very happy mood that he had some other little dogs to play with :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

My dog almost never humps, very occasionally she has tried to hump my foot, but it was more a case of accidentally finding the twitchy spot. I promptly relocate my foot because I don't want to encourage it, no matter how much she enjoys it.

But she occasionally gets humped by other dogs. And I don't do much because she is quite capable of removing herself from the situation and usually does. Maybe I should intervene. I hadn't really thought about it. It just doesn't happen often enough.

But I HATE dogs that hump everything ALL THE TIME. That's too much. And I won't allow it on me or my dog. And I don't think much of the owners who let their dogs do that. It's slightly more disgusting and outrageous than allowing dogs to jump all over people. And I don't like those dogs or their owners much either. And not sure how I feel about people who encourage my dog to jump on them. Sigh. If it's by invitation, I suppose but I don't like it much.

Mine have never attempted to hump each other but they have their special teddy bears at night.

Occassionally Mort will try to hump another dog at the park. Since he doesn't usually make any physical contact with the dog, I let him go once then stop him if he tries again.

Occasionally our two will hump each other. I couldn't really care less :thumbsup:

I don't think it's necessarily always dominance as some people do. To me it's just a natural behaviour, like digging, turning in circles before settling down etc.

Having said that I would never let my dogs hump another dog! Keep it in the family :):)

My little lab female is a humper, she jumps Ebon whenever she gets excited (Ebon is definately the dominant one so I don't think it is a dominance thing). In the home I will try to distract her from what she is up to but don't forbid it because I think that will "just drive it underground" (ie she will still do it when we are not around) and not really achieve anything. I do not allow her to do it to dogs away from home as I don't want a fight on my hands.

Never really had a humper - but I discourage it if it happens to my dogs from others - my male is fairly tolerant but even he has had enough sometimes and - as for the kelpie girl - she gets pretty snappy if it is even attempted.

One of the dogs at the DOL meets does it to my boy (and others) and always seems to have this apologetic look on his face - he gets put on leash straight away and its become a kind of running joke at the meets

Never really had a humper - but I discourage it if it happens to my dogs from others - my male is fairly tolerant but even he has had enough sometimes and - as for the kelpie girl - she gets pretty snappy if it is even attempted.

One of the dogs at the DOL meets does it to my boy (and others) and always seems to have this apologetic look on his face - he gets put on leash straight away and its become a kind of running joke at the meets

I recall a certain doler's dog liking Joey a bit too much at a meet and greet (not yours) :laugh:

I have a large entire male, and whilst he doesn't do it often, I don't allow it under any circumstances because some dogs and some owners react poorly to it (and fair enough lol). It's unnecessary too, and I think once he got over about 8 months old, he realised that actively seeking to dominate other dogs for longer than like a few seconds really won't be tolerated. He has pinned other dogs down, and whilst he never takes it any further than that, it makes some owners very uncomfortable (even though the 'victim' nearly always returns for more) so now no humping and no pinning.

That said, he has the very occasional go at it with his bed, and we just turn a blind eye. Dealing with urges is one thing, excessive displays of dominance on strange dogs is a totally different ball game.

ETA: the only time now actually that he shows any interest in humping other dogs (except for bitches in season) is when other dogs have grouped together to hump one poor individual. Typically he won't actually mount the dog, but starts dry humping and I interrupt that and put him in time out.

Edited by jacqui835

My dogs don't really hump much. Bg boy used to hump wee girl when she first came (it used to crack us up coz she was so small there was really no point in him trying as it was more of an "air hump") but he would be told to "stop it" and would. I think he stopped doing this when wee girl was round 6 months and was speyed (big boy is entire)

Very occasionally the wee girl will decide she wants to have a hump of big boys front leg (its all she can reach) and we usually crack up because it looks funny, but again, she is told to "stop it" and does.

It very rarely happens though and hasnt happened for a number of months.

However, big boy LOVES to hump my mums dog (who is no longer with us). Whenever we would go and visit and stay for a few days he would just constantly ride their dog (a neutered male) and their dog didnt seem to mind, and occasionally they would switch lol. Once, the humping even went so far that my big boys wanger came all the way out and was like dragging on the ground (we had all been inside but saw out the window the "ending").

Anyway, I generally put a stop to it. Especially if it continues. If it's a quick hump for a second I do't usually bother.

I have never had a dog who humps people or other objects lol

Erik is what I call a "social anxiety displacement humper".

How did you draw to that conclusion, Corvus?

Observation.

What is it that doesn't have you thinking that Erik is simply trying to assert himself because he thinks he can?

Context and body language.

Why would Erik become "socially anxious" because you're having a cuddle with Kivi?

I asked him and he just licked me. Go figure. :laugh: In human terms, my guess is he sees a group activity occurring and he wants to be a part of it. Kivi is a dog, like he is, so he feels directly in competition with Kivi for resources including attention from the non-dogs, but he is very close to Kivi and avoids conflict with him. He values cuddles highly and if there is not enough room on the couch for me, Kivi, and him and he's the last one to arrive he feels conflicted about simultaneously wanting more social contact with his family, which includes Kivi, and feeling in competition with Kivi for that social contact, and this conflict results in anxiety related to a social situation, thus, social anxiety. It is not strong enough to result in a proactive behaviour, so he uses a displacement behaviour to alleviate his anxiety. It's not always humping. Depends on the intensity of his anxiety, which is related to his emotional state, one assumes. And his position. He rarely goes out of his way to hump.

Or is your phrase "social anxiety displacement humping" another term for "dominance"?

No. The (invented) phrase is as descriptive and accurate as I could make it.

Thanks. Your observation and interpretation is interesting. What do you think Eric would do if there is enough room on the couch for you, Kivi and himself? Have you ever tried out to see?

Bob is a humper at meets at kepala and has a thing for Vallhund boys. He does get put back on a lead if her keeps on going back for more. He has calmed down quite a lot with it and can be left off lead most times now.

If my girls come into season together (as usually happens) we get congo lines. My lil Miss 10 says 'Mummy the dogs are playing trains again!!!!!!!!

It only happens then, Initially my younger dog went through a time of trying to hump other dog- it sorted iteself out once her place in the pack was established.

Thanks. Your observation and interpretation is interesting. What do you think Eric would do if there is enough room on the couch for you, Kivi and himself? Have you ever tried out to see?

There is usually room on the couch for him as well. He rarely humps if he can pile onto your legs or chest without risking falling off the couch. Group cuddles are much more common on the bed than the couch, and he doesn't seem to hump on the bed as a general rule. Kivi is a serial morning snuggler in the bed, and Erik doesn't seem worried by some serious Lapphund spooning. He's happy to stretch over everyone or wedge himself in somewhere.

Erik seems to get humped a lot by bigger dogs at the dog park. As long as he's not trying to get away and the other dog isn't getting obsessive I don't see a need to intervene. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think it's particularly rude for your dog to hump a dog they don't really know. It's only a problem if the dog humping won't stop, or if the other dog hates it.

I always stop my dogs from humping each other or any other dog. My female goldy tries to hump my male elky when he plays with other dogs. I immediately pull her back. The reason I don't let my dogs hump is because I don't want them to think it is acceptable behaviour. Otherwise they might think it is ok to hump strange dogs as well. I find it very annoying when people at the dog park let their dogs hump other dogs and think it's funny. My male elky would not tolerate any dog trying to hump him (except my goldy who can get away with anything as far as he is concerned!!!)

My thre form a humping chain on occssion, but more often than not, it is just the two boys that hump. They do it regularly, each evening, almost by the clock.

They have never attempted to hump strange dogs that I can ever recall and nor do they hump inanimate objects or attempt to hump any humans.

I let them hump unless it is a direct reaction to me showing attention to one of them. Sometimes, this will cause my dominant male to want to hump the dog that is being favoured, and it is usually only the other male, Monte, that he does this too.