Leash Laws In Victoria

I had ANOTHER small white fluffy rush across the road and charge into Shyla today and I went APE at the woman!!!! She said "I know it's dangerous" but said she doesn't even have a leash!!!

I put a post on Facebook about my anger and someone said dogs should be allowed offleash and rushing at an onleash party doesn't matter because it's how dogs interact and that his big maremmas used to rush at others in the park and they would get angry and he would wonder why.

What the hell is the leash laws in VIC? Are dogs allowed offleash everywhere? In any "park"?

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

Yeah that sucks :rofl: We cop it fairly often too, normally with the owner calling out "oh he/she is friendly" without a care in the world. Well I don't particularly care if their dog is friendly, nor do I want it to approach me or my dog without invitation. Apart from being dangerous it's just plain rude!

As an owner of a large dog it can often be entertaining to yell out "My dog is NOT friendly!" with a panicked look on your face and watch Fluffy's owner sh*t themself as they fly like Superman trying to catch their dog ;) Sure it doesn't fix the problem entirely but they'll more often than not give you a very W I D E berth if they ever see you again :mad

It is up to the local council, in Casey

Dogs can be walked off leash in all Council Parks and Reserves within the City of Casey, except those listed in the table below.

When walking your dog off leash, please ensure that it is under effective control.

Effective control includes dogs under voice control or being placed on a chain, cord or leash. Dogs must remain under effective control at all times whilst off leash.

Dogs off leash must not be within 20 metres of children's playgrounds in all parks and reserves.

Dogs must be walked by using a chain, cord or leash at all times in:

•All public places, such as footpaths, schools, shopping centres etc.

•In any location where a sign says that dogs must be on their leash

We had by-laws officers give our club a talk a while back and "under effective control" means that the dog must stay within 3m of you.

Don't be afraid to make a correction on someone elses dog if they charge you or your dog. Most people dont appreciate others touching their dogs (I dont mean to hit or anything like that, but touch, sure) and will probably say something, at which point you can tell them that if they had control of their dog in the first place, you wouldn't have to intervene. The problem is, (as an example) if you had a breed like a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, German Shepherd, Staffy or Greyhound even and got charged by a cute little white fluff ball and they fight, what breed do you think is going to be in the paper with the label of trouble maker? It'll be the large breed for sure. I see this problem almost every day (I live across the road from a dog park). Our next door neighbour for example has a Chihuahua that he has on lead till he gets to the end of his driveway... at which point he takes it off and lets the little thing go wherever it wants. Another example that I see very often is people who drive to the park and let there EXTREMELY excited dogs out of the car without a lead and without calming them down first. And what do they do? As soon as they see another dog, then charge on over.

Now, Honey is dog aggressive while shes on the lead. If another dog ever charged us, I would have to physically stop them from coming too close. If i didn't, she would probably tear them apart (unless they were a large breed of course, and then thered just be a horrible fight and i'd probably end up getting bitten while breaking it up). People dont understand that this is a problem (charging). They think its cute to see their little fluff ball run up and be excited to see another dog. What they dont realise is that if their dog comes up against another that really doesn't appreciate it, theres a chance that their little bundle of fluffy love is going to end up in hospital or in the ground. There should be harsher penalties for people who dont control their dogs while off the leash.

That said, I like the idea of being able to have a dog off the leash. HOWEVER, I think that to have the privilege of having your dog off leash you and your dog should have to pass a test. It could incorporate things like walking distance from you, recall, stay with time, distance and distraction, and ability to play with other dogs. Owners should also have to pass a test on dog park etiquette. The overall problem with people and their dogs is ignorance. They just dont know. How often do you see someone walk their dog past a gate with another dog behind it, and when that dog starts going off, they STOP WALKING and let their dog bark on the other side of the gate?! I mean, come on.

* I think people should have to pass a test to have pets in the first place. If they did, all those who weren't prepared for their animals probably wouldn't have got them in the first place.

It is up to the local council, in Casey
Dogs can be walked off leash in all Council Parks and Reserves within the City of Casey, except those listed in the table below.

When walking your dog off leash, please ensure that it is under effective control.

Effective control includes dogs under voice control or being placed on a chain, cord or leash. Dogs must remain under effective control at all times whilst off leash.

Dogs off leash must not be within 20 metres of children's playgrounds in all parks and reserves.

Dogs must be walked by using a chain, cord or leash at all times in:

•All public places, such as footpaths, schools, shopping centres etc.

•In any location where a sign says that dogs must be on their leash

We had by-laws officers give our club a talk a while back and "under effective control" means that the dog must stay within 3m of you.

That is interesting. I always wondered what "under effective control" meant in the by laws. I always assumed that it was if you had your dog under effective control with voice commands [ie. came back when you called, etc]

I had ANOTHER small white fluffy rush across the road and charge into Shyla today and I went APE at the woman!!!! She said "I know it's dangerous" but said she doesn't even have a leash!!!

I put a post on Facebook about my anger and someone said dogs should be allowed offleash and rushing at an onleash party doesn't matter because it's how dogs interact and that his big maremmas used to rush at others in the park and they would get angry and he would wonder why.

What the hell is the leash laws in VIC? Are dogs allowed offleash everywhere? In any "park"?

I imagine it would depend on the council, not the state as a whole.

Irritating, dangerous and worrying seeing dogs offleash in public..

Shivers down my spine..

Yeah that sucks :eek: We cop it fairly often too, normally with the owner calling out "oh he/she is friendly" without a care in the world. Well I don't particularly care if their dog is friendly, nor do I want it to approach me or my dog without invitation. Apart from being dangerous it's just plain rude!

As an owner of a large dog it can often be entertaining to yell out "My dog is NOT friendly!" with a panicked look on your face and watch Fluffy's owner sh*t themself as they fly like Superman trying to catch their dog :laugh: Sure it doesn't fix the problem entirely but they'll more often than not give you a very W I D E berth if they ever see you again :cry:

:heart: +1 Find it amusing seeing how fast they fly over to get their dog lol :laugh:

In every council in Vic, you dog has to be on leash unless:

i) on private, secure property (ie your dog isn't allowed on your front lawn unleashed unless there is a secure fence out the front)

ii) at a designated off leash area. It still has to behave even if it is in an off leash area - we don't have "dog parks" in Victoria.

I wish they would be more specific regarding "effective control". I wish those signs were in simple English:

* Your dog must come to you when called - every time.

* You must call your dog away from other dogs and people. You must ask their permission first before allowing your dog to approach them (they never specify this rule. So in order to comply, people just never call their dog!).

As an owner of a large dog it can often be entertaining to yell out "My dog is NOT friendly!" with a panicked look on your face and watch Fluffy's owner sh*t themself as they fly like Superman trying to catch their dog :heart: Sure it doesn't fix the problem entirely but they'll more often than not give you a very W I D E berth if they ever see you again :laugh:

SK - I wish I owned a large dog so that I could do that. Lucy (a mini schnauzer) doesn't like dogs in her face, but no one seems scared of her! In fact, many people say ti would be good if she taught their puppy a lesson. Yeah, I want to re-inforce DA in my dog so that your out-of-control dog can be taught a lesson!

I now tell people that she has been abused and is very scared. That seems to give them enough of a jolt to get their dog away.

In every council in Vic, you dog has to be on leash unless:

i) on private, secure property (ie your dog isn't allowed on your front lawn unleashed unless there is a secure fence out the front)

ii) at a designated off leash area. It still has to behave even if it is in an off leash area - we don't have "dog parks" in Victoria.

I wish they would be more specific regarding "effective control". I wish those signs were in simple English:

* Your dog must come to you when called - every time.

* You must call your dog away from other dogs and people. You must ask their permission first before allowing your dog to approach them (they never specify this rule. So in order to comply, people just never call their dog!).

The Ranger in my area (Boondara) actually hides amongst the trees/bushes to nab & fine owners who have their dogs off leads in on lead areas

ie : just across road from an Off lead area

I know of one owner who has been fined at least 2 times yet still walks her dog off lead in on lead areas :laugh:.

I also have warned various owners that the ranger can be around (hiding)....do they care...."no" they just laugh :heart:

Actually, he has been a bit quite this winter........

I'm in Frankston too and no dogs are not allowed off leash unless it is a designated off leash area. There are heaps of people walking around the streets of Frankston with their dogs off leash and they just dont care.

Complain to Frankston council. I did about 12 months ago and I noticed a ranger patrolling the area for a while. It worked.

I wish our ranger would do this!

Me too!!!

OMG so we had 2 rush at us last week and now just today hubby walked Shyla and said a male GSD came BOLTING down a footpath full pelt towards him and Shyla, with his frantic male owner screaming and rushing after him. Hubby tried to keep Shyla behind him but she came out in front of him at the last second and the GSD rammed right into her and she yelped and they both took a tumble. Hubby pushed the dog away and it got up and then kept running in the same direction and the owner guy ran past full pelt after it and said "sorry" on the way

I didn't feel as angry that time cos it seems the dog got away from him and wasn't just 'offleash' like the others??

Don't be afraid to make a correction on someone elses dog if they charge you or your dog. Most people dont appreciate others touching their dogs (I dont mean to hit or anything like that, but touch, sure) and will probably say something, at which point you can tell them that if they had control of their dog in the first place, you wouldn't have to intervene. The problem is, (as an example) if you had a breed like a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, German Shepherd, Staffy or Greyhound even and got charged by a cute little white fluff ball and they fight, what breed do you think is going to be in the paper with the label of trouble maker? It'll be the large breed for sure. I see this problem almost every day (I live across the road from a dog park). Our next door neighbour for example has a Chihuahua that he has on lead till he gets to the end of his driveway... at which point he takes it off and lets the little thing go wherever it wants. Another example that I see very often is people who drive to the park and let there EXTREMELY excited dogs out of the car without a lead and without calming them down first. And what do they do? As soon as they see another dog, then charge on over.

Now, Honey is dog aggressive while shes on the lead. If another dog ever charged us, I would have to physically stop them from coming too close. If i didn't, she would probably tear them apart (unless they were a large breed of course, and then thered just be a horrible fight and i'd probably end up getting bitten while breaking it up). People dont understand that this is a problem (charging). They think its cute to see their little fluff ball run up and be excited to see another dog. What they dont realise is that if their dog comes up against another that really doesn't appreciate it, theres a chance that their little bundle of fluffy love is going to end up in hospital or in the ground. There should be harsher penalties for people who dont control their dogs while off the leash.

That said, I like the idea of being able to have a dog off the leash. HOWEVER, I think that to have the privilege of having your dog off leash you and your dog should have to pass a test. It could incorporate things like walking distance from you, recall, stay with time, distance and distraction, and ability to play with other dogs. Owners should also have to pass a test on dog park etiquette. The overall problem with people and their dogs is ignorance. They just dont know. How often do you see someone walk their dog past a gate with another dog behind it, and when that dog starts going off, they STOP WALKING and let their dog bark on the other side of the gate?! I mean, come on.

* I think people should have to pass a test to have pets in the first place. If they did, all those who weren't prepared for their animals probably wouldn't have got them in the first place.

I hear you!!! I have worked very hard with my rottiexdobe to ensure that she won't go back at these swfs - she is getting much much better, but the owners have absolutely no idea (I suppose ignorance is bliss) and they let these little dogs do whatever they like - but if we big dog owners took the same attitude, there would be an enormous outcry. I am all for private membership only dog parks and dog parks that are segregated into small dog areas and big dog areas. This should be mandatory.

The US has lots of members only dog parks and they look great and sound great - responsible owners doing the right thing. We can only hope.

It's a very annoying habit that lots of people seem to think is excusable, if their dog is friendly! My comment is: what if my dog ISN'T friendly? My Salukis aren't DA, but they DO NOT LIKE other dogs in their faces.

I like the comment about "My dog's NOT friendly!" - I might have to try that! :)

Sonia

It's a very annoying habit that lots of people seem to think is excusable, if their dog is friendly! My comment is: what if my dog ISN'T friendly? My Salukis aren't DA, but they DO NOT LIKE other dogs in their faces.

I like the comment about "My dog's NOT friendly!" - I might have to try that! :mad

Sonia

I've had to go better than that, when I had moved my reactive former BC away off a track into the bush to avoid an uncontrolled (though friendly) Lab mix - having asked the owner politely to call her dog, I heard her response - "Oh, it's OK, he won't bite" - to which I replied "Well, I can't guarantee mine won't - call your damned dog" - All this after she had seen me stop with my dogs, who were off leash on a wide track at the time, and leash them, and then go off the track to avoid her dog. :)

How much nicer to meet the people who when we're walking dogs off leash and meet on this wide track (road really but closed to traffic), stop and leash their dogs when I stop and leash mine - dogs walk past calmly - people maybe having a little chat, and then resume walk - everyone calm and happy. :o