Do You Have A Busy Dog?

corvus

Do you have a dog that is often active doing things on their own when you are having down time? Erik entertains himself for a while, but often ends up trying to get me to interact with him. Kivi on the other hand will just laze all day. He is only active when we are doing something. He was more active and busy as an adolescent, but seems to have grown out of it.

I have a thinker who always needs to be doing something and he's not a working breed, he's a damn independent breed! LOL I think he's confused.

My old girl has always been a lazy wench - but she does love a good play and training session if you can get her off her bed.

Zero doesn't really settle inside so he's usually pretty busy - sometimes he goes off and does things on his own and then other times, he's busy exploring whatever it is I'm doing (like if I'm cooking or folding washing or something). If i was to have some down time and watch television or something, he will usually be off and doing something else, though he constantly checks in to see where I am and if I've moved. He doesn't usually go more than 10 minutes without popping his head back in just to see what I'm doing.

If he's outside, he's a whole lot less busy - to him, outside either means zoomies or sleep.

Banjo is always keeping himself busy.

I have never seen a dog that has so much fun playing all by themselves!

He has worked out how to flick the ball so it pops out of his mouth and then chases after it. He rolls around on his back playing with a bit of rope.

Sometimes he goes and just runs around the yard...

My GSP is a velcro dog.....he is with me constantly. The only time he goes off by himself is when he has a bone or if its nice and sunny outside he might go and forage in his pile of sticks/twigs/leaves and have wonderful fun pulling out small branches and dragging them around the garden (or running around with the door mat :laugh: ). Other than that he is where ever we are.

Inside means quiet time, no zoomies etc allowed.

Outside Lewis is always runnig around with something in his mouth, if Rommi joins in - great! If not he will run around himself having a great time. Rommi does it as well, but not for as long.

Easy dogs to keep fit.

Kaos is on the go 50% of the time, i spent the weekend in bed/on the lounge sick, and when i was able to get up and walk around, I found she had had a great time playing! Toys all over the place, hidden in my bed, under my bed, toys dead all over the place :laugh:

Atlas spent the weekend sleeping where ever i was sleeping :laugh:

She will entertain herself, play with the cats, play with her toys, once in a while she will come play with me, but i think she has more fun on her own :rofl:

If Lottie is inside with me she sleeps (and she's LLOOVVEESS her sleep :laugh: ), but saying that, she's a busy little body - especially outside!! She's great at amusing herself, and now knows how to throw a toy and catch it herself - and she'll do zoomies with toys, play in the garden - but always pops in to see if i'm still around... If i'm doing things around the house or yard she's with me watching and 'helping' me!! She absolutely loves toys and playing, so if she has toys around she's happy all day!!!

:cry: I had a few days off work because I was sick and I'm pretty sure by the end of the 4th day Dieter had had enough of me. He obviously has duties he likes to attend to when I'm not around.

He likes to patrol the yard, I know that much, but other times when left to his own devices he just seems to be enjoying the outdoors :mad He also loves to destroy his toys - thankfully he knows what he can rip up and what he can't.

Jesie is always busy, running, barking, jumping, stirring up her sister, dropping George the duck at my feet to be thrown. When she sleeps she runs in her dreams, her little feet are forever twitching and running.

Jodie will occasionally play with a toy but 90% of the time she is wedged inbetween me and OH snozzing! However everynight at 7:30 Jesie and Jodie have playtime. They both go bonkers trying to eat each other all over the house! Its sounds like 50 dogs are attacking each other! :cry:

My youngest is constantly on the move always looking for something to get into or destroy ... but once you put him in his pen or his crate - he will sleep.

The older boy probably sleeps during the day (when he isn't with the pup) ... and at night (about 18 hrs a day if you are not home) ... but is up and eager to get going if he thinks you are about to do something or when he hears something he feels needs investigating.

My GSP is a velcro dog.....he is with me constantly. The only time he goes off by himself is when he has a bone or if its nice and sunny outside he might go and forage in his pile of sticks/twigs/leaves and have wonderful fun pulling out small branches and dragging them around the garden (or running around with the door mat :( ). Other than that he is where ever we are.

Ha, ha :cry::mad same here with my ridgeback, she is a little more independent though, sometimes she likes playing with her toys outside. :)

Miss Emmy is busy... she always has things to do, brother to annoy, neighbours to tell off and parents to boss around.

She has settled down a lot since she got desexed though (this means she takes longer naps)... but when she's awake, she is rarely still.

Ahsoka always has things to do! She self exercises and entertains herself. She's always off on an adventure in the yard or throwing a toy for herself. She never sleeps the whole day away.

Fable has taken after Soaks. Even for a baby puppy she is VERY active! She hardly sleeps!

Jedi on the other hand... Well, ZzzZzzZZzzZzzz...

Edited by TerraNik

Mosley does NOTHING. Seriously he is the laziest dog I've ever met, as soon as he comes in at night he lays on the floor and sleeps right through :mad For an hour first thing in the morning however, he is feral!!

Lili is very attached to us so if we are relaxing she will be up on the couch with us wanting snuggles :cry:

If she isn't up there she's on the floor sucking on her cushion :( Occasionally she will potter around and play with her ball.

long time ago we had only one dog...just briefly cos we soon added a companion

this dog was a goldie and he never settled inside

hed pace

hed nose around

he was hard to have inside cos you couldnt relax

he wasnt destructive inside..it was just this constant movement..up and down

he went to obedience but the lie down and stay was just an idea he had trouble even entertaining

another one was a cocker we had..a boy..lovable boofhead but aagain very restless

we have a number of dogs now but it never feels crazy here

you forget that you have them inside most times because they mostly lie around

this is the way i like it...no more high energy dogs for us methinks

I have 3 pointers. My youngest is NEVER still unless he's asleep ! Running, hunting lizards, bees, butterflys, birds....running, gardening, digging....running, throw toys around, more digging, annoy second brother.....running, stir both brothers up and get all of them running, rip up bed, jump in pool and swim as now very hot from all running.....and...repeat until it's time for dinner....then inside, cuddle mum and dad, chew up teddy.....sleep.