Did Your First Dog Change?

jazawayaya

Banjo used to be the most affectionate, sookey little babe who never stopped following me around...

Ever since we got Luda he has changed so much.... Its like he grew up and doesnt need me anymore :)

Now he prefers the floor or his own bed rather being next to me on the lounge.

He follows Luda around now... not me :confused:

He seems to not be as fussed with playing with me and his toys..

I miss my old boy but then I know he is so much more happy and content now :thumbsup:

So when you got your second dog did you notice changes? Were they good or bad?

This is about my cat instead.

When we first got Mika she was really cuddly and affectionate with the OH and I for the first couple of months. She was shy around everyone else though. Then she suddenly changed and became pretty anti-social even with us. Instead of sleeping with us on our bed every night (on my throat :thumbsup: ) she started sleeping out on the couch. Didn't want to be picked up for cuddles etc. Then several months later we decided to get a second cat to give her a playmate, and hopefully so that we might get one affectionate cat. We bought home Oscar and from the second he got in the door, he has never left us alone. He has to be in the same room as us, if not all over us at every second of the day. In fact, he still cries today if we leave the room and he thinks he's lost us. Since bringing Oscar home, Mika has really come out of her shell. She's quite social with visitors now. Normally she would hide in a cupboard until they're gone, but now she's happy to come and say hello. She absolutely adores cuddles and pats now and climbs all over us.

I think she saw how much attention and affection Oscar was getting and decided that cuddles really are pretty awesome. So, definitely a good change.

As for dogs, hmm I've always grown up having two dogs at a time. I can't really remember "changes" when the second dog was brought home, but I know that our dogs have always been best of friends from the beginning and gotten along like a house on fire. Never have we had our dogs fight.

ETA: I don't think there have been any individual changes in personality either.

Edited by minxy

Yes! For the better!

Bubby has always been very well behaved but was well on his way to becoming a FuddyDuddy. He is livelier since Bitty came home, has a better sense of humour and is much more playful and seems to walk around with an extra spark to him.

Bitty brings out the best in Bubby. I also think having Bitty, made me realise what a wonderful and tolerant dog Bubby is. There was this whole new “sucker” side to him that I never realised existed! :crazy:

Emmy bought a whole new fresh, happy and lively energy into my family :crazy: It's awesome.

Charlie started to lose confident on being a dog, he mostly just wanted to sleep and be a major sooky. Emmy came, and she just wants to play and Emmy being Emmy, she makes Charlie plays with her. Charlie is RUNNING now because of her, and he looks so much happier and stronger. So yes, I saw a major change in Charlie when Emmy came along.

But instead of having just one dog that follows me around, I now have two

Yes, to a certain extent, especially with her toys. If I throw a ball or toy for Jenna now she runs to get it then takes it straight over to Mya to try to get her to play, (which she rarely does).

Stoopid dog, if she brought it back to me i would play with her.

I guess this is why people say not to get two puppies at the same time as they form a stronger bond than they have with you.

I try to make time to play with Jenna when Mya is locked inside, she's back to her old self then.

Like you, I am so happy that they get on so well and have each other for company but sometimes get a bit peeved when she choses Mya over me. :laugh:

We got Delilah when she was 10 weeks old, and Sampson was 10 months old. It calmed him down heaps, he now listens to us, is much less destructive as he burns off his energy playing with her and he's become a real sookie-bum. His training also improved once he saw her getting treats for doing what she was told. He learned a lot by watching us train her.

Delilah is now about 18 months old and Sam just over 2 years and he continues to improve with his behaviour and even lets our 12 year old put him into sits, stays and drops when outside and he loves to shake paws now with our 6 year olds.

My older girl had spent most of her life with another dog or two so after the death of a long term companion she started to turn old before my eyes. A rescue pup came my way about a month later. She looked after it and taught it some manners. Three years and another dog later and they still play rough together and sleep together. If one leaves the house without the other it is bedlam, even if going to the vet. The old girl is 16 and it has really changed her life for the better to have active company and remain part of a pack.

My boy has changed. He has grown in confidence and has learned to be a bit more assertive in letting other dogs (and us!) know what he wants. Not sure if that's a good thing or not :laugh: He has also realised that he now has a "partner in crime" that will follow him and copy him, which he loves, and uses to his full advantage.

My girl who I believed would probably be the dominant one when I brought a new dog home, proved to be quite submissive when the second dog came along. She lets the other one walk all over her. My poor girl can't get hugs in with me when the other is around. Every opportunity we get when the other is not in the same room, we meet for a "secret rendezvous" :laugh: She either comes to me for cuddles or I call her to me and she just loves it, because when the other is present she usually swings her butt around to get her out of the way :D I am very grateful though that she doesn't challenge her, or it would have the potential to get ugly.

wow all of this is exactly whats happened to my boy-

Good to see whats happened isnt unusual!!!!!!!

:laugh:

seems to walk around with an extra spark to him.
I also think having Bitty, made me realise what a wonderful and tolerant dog Bubby is. There was this whole new “sucker” side to him that I never realised existed!
Yes, to a certain extent, especially with her toys. If I throw a ball or toy for Jenna now she runs to get it then takes it straight over to Mya to try to get her to play, (which she rarely does).

Stoopid dog, if she brought it back to me i would play with her.

He has also realised that he now has a "partner in crime" that will follow him and copy him, which he loves, and uses to his full advantage.
My girl who I believed would probably be the dominant one when I brought a new dog home, proved to be quite submissive when the second dog came along. She lets the other one walk all over her. My poor girl can't get hugs in with me when the other is around. Every opportunity we get when the other is not in the same room, we meet for a "secret rendezvous" She either comes to me for cuddles or I call her to me and she just loves it, because when the other is present she usually swings her butt around to get her out of the way I am very grateful though that she doesn't challenge her, or it would have the potential to get ugly.

Banjo used to be the most affectionate, sookey little babe who never stopped following me around...

Ever since we got Luda he has changed so much.... Its like he grew up and doesnt need me anymore :(

Now he prefers the floor or his own bed rather being next to me on the lounge.

He follows Luda around now... not me :laugh:

He seems to not be as fussed with playing with me and his toys..

I miss my old boy but then I know he is so much more happy and content now ;)

So when you got your second dog did you notice changes? Were they good or bad?

:rofl: My first girl Millie changed when we bought baby Cooper into the family. She got really jealous and needing.

Cooper would go and spend time with my little brother at his house with Mum and family and give Millie a break

because i missed the way she used to be. In the end; Cooper was desexed and ended up living fulltime with

my family. Millie's never changed like that since; and we've added Jack and Alice since and not had those same

issues.

eta: his desexing had nothing to do with Millie's discomfort/jealousy. Health reasons was why he was desexed.

Edited by Parkeyre

Not exactly the same situation, I didn't get a new dog but I moved back to my parents house with my dog, and my parent's dog had to get used to having someone else around. It wasn't that big of a deal because my parents had babysat Darcy plenty of times so they knew each other.

Sam is 11 and he seems so much more active and happy when Darcy is around. Darcy is better behaved when he is here, I think because he learns from Sam. Sam taught him how to play fetch and now he is obsessed :rofl: Neither of them seem to have change in personality.

Edited by ♪♫LMBC♫♪

Our JRT x changed when we first got our second dog. She didn't like Indi at all... She growled at her all the time, and pretty much avoided her until she was out of her "puppy" stage. Even though she still kind of acts like one at nearly 2 years of age... :laugh: I don't know why, but she absolutely LOVES my mum now, ever since we got Indi. :rofl: Both of my dogs are best friends now though. Although Coco does prefer her space. I don't think they could live without each other now. ;) So yeah, not that many noticeable changes.. just minor ones. :(

Guest belgian.blue

Positive change here when we added Badger in April.

Not any major changes but Ivy seems happier having another dog to play with all the time :dancingelephant: Having Badger crate trained has also made a difference and made it easier to have two dogs. Only one sleeps on the bed :dancingelephant: