Why Aren't My Dogs Dogs?

Loving my Oldies

Today I had a tray of wonderful lookings bones to give the dogs. I'd left them out overnight to bring them to room temperature and because it has been raining, I put down easily washable mats in the kitchen, closed off the rest of the house and tossed a few bones in the kitchen and out on the deck. This is the result:

Myrtie hoes in with gusto, Danny leaves in disgust while Jeune and Tamar look on as though the bones are the greatest insult in the world.

2010BonesDay001.jpg

2010BonesDay002.jpg

2010BonesDay003.jpg

2010BonesDay004.jpg

Danny has moved onto the deck and I really should have a video instead of stills, because he is going from bone to bone sniffing and looking away in disgust:

2010BonesDay005.jpg

2010BonesDay006.jpg

2010BonesDay007.jpg

:laugh: its ok, I also have dogs that arnt dogs. I just gave them each a pigs trotter, and one walked around for 20 minutes in his mouth crying untill he hid it in a very obvious hiding spot (in a corner, in plain sight), and the other played around his by jumping on it and barking at it...both pigs trotters are still unchewed....lol.

Maybe our dogs are related, lol. :laugh:

:laugh: its ok, I also have dogs that arnt dogs. I just gave them each a pigs trotter, and one walked around for 20 minutes in his mouth crying untill he hid it in a very obvious hiding spot (in a corner, in plain sight), and the other played around his by jumping on it and barking at it...both pigs trotters are still unchewed....lol.

Maybe our dogs are related, lol. :rofl:

You know it takes Charlie and Emmy about 2-3 months to finish 1 pig ear. I give them a pig ear each and one of them will go hide one theirs and then they both share the other one. They will take turn chewing, playing and eating it... once they finished it, they will bring out the other one (usually hid on my bookself in plain view of everyone too) and do the same with that one.

Charlie is like that with bones too sometimes... he likes his bones cut in bite sizes, thank you :laugh:

Feather is very wimpy with bones. All the others chew them with gusto but Feather pussy foots around it. Sometimes I go out and encourage her to chew it, which seems to help. I say to her "what a good girl you are, chewing your bone, just like a real dog!" :laugh:

Edited by Kirislin

I could lend you a couple of crows. They are very good at teaching dogs to pay more attention to their bones. Our tibbie turned his nose up at a bone I gave him because it wasn't his favourite marrow bone. A passing crow who had a pear core in his beak spotted it, dropped his pear and took off with the bone. Our dog saw the thieving crow and charged at him. He grabbed what he thought was his bone only to realise it was actually a pear in his mouth. The look on his face was priceless! It has taught him never to leave bones unattended.

Kuma isn't a big bone chewer either. OH butterflied a leg of lamb on the weekend, so we had two bones. Both are somewhere in the back yard putrifying as we speak! When you first give them to him, he just licks them. Then dumps them somewhere.

His pigs ears last ages too, when they get too small I chuck 'em. I got one of those raw hide bones (yes, yes, I know...) and he adores that thing. Happily chewing on it for 20 mins at a time. It's nearly a week old and will probably keep going for about a month.

You need to get yourself a Labrador and you won't have that problem :thumbsup: and no mess will be left, the place, including the mats will be licked clean :laugh:

Agreed! We don't even use mats, no need when they leave the tiles cleaner than they were before they ate on them ;) :D

Our deerhound wouldn't eat bones or raw meat - if we gave him some he would stand away and look really sad and then look at us as though to say "you forgot to cook it" but he loved fruit ,vegies ,pasta and rice - funny dog he was

Arggh we have one of those.. if it's not gently sauteed in olive oil he wont eat it. He didn't eat for 3 days when we tried to switch him to a raw diet. Mind you he found a half rotten roo leg in the bush the other day... nothing wrong with eating that apparently :D

Maybe it's a deerhound thing :laugh: