Check/chocker Chains

tlc

For the users of chocker/check chains, if you are not out walking your dog/dogs on lead do you leave the cc on your dog?

I have noticed lately, actually I always notice it and it annoys me, people leaving a cc on their dog when they are not training/walking etc.

So just curious is it the done thing? To me it seems dangerous and reckless to leave a chain hanging around your dogs neck if you are not attached to the end of it.

Just for the record I have never used/needed to use a cc, but I do believe they have a place if used correctly.

Not even sure why I'm posting just curiosity I guess and would like to hear others take on it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are naked unless they are going out of the yard - i think a check is too risky to leave on a dog without supervision.

My dogs are nudies too. Flat collars for when outside the house.

I think people like the look of CCs, makes a dog look 'tougher'? I see them a lot on Great Danes and Staffys around here.

I don't think they make CC Moose's size. :thumbsup:

To leave a check chain on a dog when not being walked/trained is extremely irresposible. I have known of more than one dog lost to being choked to death by having a check chain left on them.

I NEVER would leave one on, I don't use them, but years ago when I did, it was definately for training only.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I use them for walking and training, but never ever leave them on any other time, it is so easy for them to get caught up on something!!

Have heard of a few dogs choking to death, eg. if the ring gets hooked through ther decking, no way out for them.

To leave a check chain on a dog when not being walked/trained is extremely irresposible.

I NEVER would leave one on, I don't use them, but years ago when I did, it was definately for training only.

Same here. I've also seen people using cc or head collars on dogs with an extenda lead :thumbsup: I usually try and explain to them the danger to the dog's neck if they reach the end at full pelt :rofl:

My dogs are naked unless they are going out of the yard - i think a check is too risky to leave on a dog without supervision.

I think people like the look of CCs, makes a dog look 'tougher'?

Think this is a bit too general and far reaching. Granted some may think that. But it is no different to those who want thick/wide leather collars with studs on them. (if you want tough looking that is)

Mine are nudies in the yard. Flat collar if I am taking them outside generally and a check chain at training/show.

I use snake chains as they do not grab the fur like normal chains. Check Chains, used correctly and properly are no more dangerous, tough or cruel to the animal than any other training apparatus. An ill fitting halter, rubs under the eyes, a flat collar on a pulling dog is no different to a choke chain as it is doing the same thing.

A chain goes on my dog right before training, and comes off straight after training. It is my training collar (whether it be for show/obedience) and that is it. Any other time, it is a good sturdy flat collar

Training: That is the key to a well mannered dog.

I will agree a chain left on a dog unattended is stupid. I have seen some chains on dogs where they have prevented it from slipping into a choke. However if they are caught on the fence, then no matter what collar you use it can choke the dog.

I agree Mystiqview, my two have been going to obedience for a couple of months and our trainer always said that putting on the check chain means training time.

Daisy gets pretty excited to put on her check chain, she loves the training, Mac not so much....means he has to think and that hurts his head :heart:

Boronia... LOL boys.. just love em..

My biggest criticism is people buying these pieces of training equipment and not enough time goes into teaching them how to correctly use them. I have been an instructor and knows what it is like to keep an eye on 10-15 people in class.. It's not easy

My dogs are nudies too. Flat collars for when outside the house.

I think people like the look of CCs, makes a dog look 'tougher'? I see them a lot on Great Danes and Staffys around here.

I don't think they make CC Moose's size. :heart:

Wow really? I use one on my Dane a lot but it has nothing to do with toughness - it's because I have more control than a flat collar or martingale and when your dog weighs more than you do, that's handy to have.

I would say most people with Danes and large dogs actually DON'T want them to look tough, due to the misconceptions that because they're big, they must want to eat people's small dogs.

The school that I used to take Orbit to liked CC's and would show people how to use them correctly. In the right hands, they are a great training tool.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would think it's ok?

Me either :heart: I think leaving a cc on when unsupervised is completely irresponsible and extremely dangerous :heart:

I use a prong collar on Kody when we are out training. He knows that it is time for training if he is wearing it. I was taught how to use the collar correctly at my training club and wouldn't dream of leaving it on him unattended.

He gets very excited when he hears the chink on the collar before I put it on him.

When we are at home he is naked and if we are going out in the car he is on a flat collar.

I hate it when I see people using cc incorrectly and try to show them how they should be used if I have the chance. I hate the fact that cc can be purchased in the supermarket and come without any instructions at all! Used incorrectly they have the potential to do so much damage.

Edited by Kody's_Mum

Nobody commented on using them for training, just if they should be left on. Of course if you are actually training then no problem.

They should come with a warning for those people who from some reason seem to not be able to think about possible consequences.