Tasmanian Dolers Beware - Snakes Out Already - Rip Molly Dog

Tassie

Unbelievably after the snow down to 200 metres we had in southern Tasmania yesterday, a friend lost her Lab x poodle to a snake bite this morning, on a walking track up the hill from the dog beach at Kingston, for those in the Hobart area. It is a fairly dry hillside, somewhat warm and protected, and always a likely place for snakes - but not the day after those snowfalls, for goodness sake.

The dog was transported to the vet as soon as possible - but not easy because the track is well away from roads. The vet was called ahead and warned, but even that was not enough to save the dog - who would have weighed about 35 kg. The snake must have been loaded with venom.

I feel so sad for my friend - she's an older lady, and she and her dog had done some lovely work in obedience and agility, getting titles in both.

So - please, please be careful in any possibly snaky areas - even if it's been really cold.

:love: Run free Molly - you'll find some of your friends from dog club there to meet you.

ETfix typos

Edited by Tassie

Oh thats shocking! Especially as it's in a built up area. That poor lady and dog.

I have seen a couple around here already but I'm well and truly in rural tas - still, a little unexpected this early and in this weather.

The trouble is, there really isn't anywhere to walk the dogs that doesn't have a risk of snakes. In fact one of the snakes that we spotted was in the yard of the house behind me.

Very sad news. RIP Molly!! :love: :D

We learnt the hard way two years ago that snakes are out early in Tassie when we lost our beloved Deputy to suspected snakebite.

No matter how cool the nights, once the days are warmer they are out and about and they are hungry. Lots of little ones around too and they don't inhibit their bites the way the older ones sometimes do and they are just as deadly!!

Poor Molly, very sad.

I would not have worried about snakes there at this time of year so thank you for passing that along. There have traditionally been quite a few snakes along the waterfront in Tranmere during warmer weather, which most people don't believe because it really isn't what you would typically think was "snakey". My boy chased one into the bushes near a storm-water outlet, it had been sunning itself on the gravel footpath. Such a busy track, too.

We've seen one already up here in Launceston at the North Esk trail. The grass in the fenced area is fairly short so that's probably safe enough but the wetlands trail (which is where we saw it) has very long grass and reeds that come almost up to the path and the area supports a lot of rats (and other little critters) for them to feed on.

Although I keep the greyhounds on lead anyway so we've not yet had any issues with snakes.

Unfortunately when they wake up they're cold, hungry, cranky and full of venom. They are also extra defensive as they're too sluggish to move away fast, so it's a bad time for dogs to meet them. Mid summer is better, they're warm and fast and happy.

You would have big tigers down there, right? Bad news when they're in a filthy mood. :thumbsup: Poor Molly.

You would have big tigers down there, right? Bad news when they're in a filthy mood.

We do have two other species of snake here but in 25 years, I've only ever seen tiger snakes (although I live up north, possibly not as favourable conditions for the other two types).

I found this bugger last year around this time at the Tailrace in Launceston. Wasn't watching where I was walking and nearly stepped on him as he was sunning himself on the path, thank goodness I didn't have the dogs with me.

post-33844-1285859511_thumb.jpg

I found this bugger last year around this time at the Tailrace in Launceston. Wasn't watching where I was walking and nearly stepped on him as he was sunning himself on the path, thank goodness I didn't have the dogs with me.

Oh....... but that is a beautiful snake shaar. It looks like the black one with a red belly I almost walked into in my backyard a few years ago. It was only about a metre away from me and my dogs. Fortunately they stayed when I told them to and the snake looked at us but just went on it's way. I actually felt more admiration than fear once I knew the dogs were safe. He was really stunning!!! Looks like he was bigger than that one tho. He was about 3 foot long I think.

Yep, that was only a small one, blended into the ashphalt really well!!! I stood there for quite a while just watching him (from a safe distance!)

A couple of feet of tin around your fenceline usually keeps them out of the yard, but I have seen them get over it before (it's a prevention only, not a complete fix)

That is a Red Belly Black Snake, very prominent in my area in coastal of nsw. They just want to get out of your way as fast as possible but will have a go if cornered.

That is a Red Belly Black Snake, very prominent in my area in coastal of nsw. They just want to get out of your way as fast as possible but will have a go if cornered.

Copperhead - similar looks, similarly dangerously venomous, and similarly keen to get out of your way. Found mostly in wetlands.

It's coming up to 2 years since we lost our last dog to a snake.

It's such a dreadful thing to happen and can be awfully quick. :grouphug: I had nightmares afterwards about snakes.

I'm always worried now as we get so many snakes around here.

RIP Molly.