"the Forgotten Form Of Pollution"

Lollipup

This is a letter to the editor in today's local paper here. As a pet owner, I am offended, especially at the closing sentence. I would like to hear your opinions on this and know if anyone else finds this offensive / stupid?

I tried to scan it in but the file was too large, even when compressed. So I have typed it word for word, including his spelling below:

"The Forgotten Form of Pollution

CR --- and others making an issue of dumped cigarette butts and rubbish are to be applauded.

So let's not hide a health-damaging pollution that none wishes to talk about, for fear of attracting outrage and wrath. The dumping into our waterways by way of runoff of thousands of tons of dog and pet excrement, daily dumped on to foreshores, public verges, riversides and thousands of backyards. After rain, all this poo dump ends up in our groundwater, rivers and oceans, contributing to algal blooms and deadly E coli contamination.

Each pooch sqanders 0.84ha of land per year on grain and meat productions while world food supplies for humans struggle to keep pace with population increase demands. Already educated people are making a conscious choice not to have a pet, and so reduce a serious environmental pollution."

ETA: I'd like to write in a reply but not quite sure how to go about it.

Edited by Tenille W

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a letter to the editor in today's local paper here. As a pet owner, I am offended, especially at the closing sentence. I would like to hear your opinions on this and know if anyone else finds this offensive / stupid?

I tried to scan it in but the file was too large, even when compressed. So I have typed it word for word, including his spelling below:

"The Forgotten Form of Pollution

CR --- and others making an issue of dumped cigarette butts and rubbish are to be applauded.

So let's not hide a health-damaging pollution that none wishes to talk about, for fear of attracting outrage and wrath. The dumping into our waterways by way of runoff of thousands of tons of dog and pet excrement, daily dumped on to foreshores, public verges, riversides and thousands of backyards. After rain, all this poo dump ends up in our groundwater, rivers and oceans, contributing to algal blooms and deadly E coli contamination.

Each pooch sqanders 0.84ha of land per year on grain and meat productions while world food supplies for humans struggle to keep pace with population increase demands. Already educated people are making a conscious choice not to have a pet, and so reduce a serious environmental pollution."

I find it extremely offensive. Human beings are the greatest contributors to pollution. Should "educated people" make a conscious choice of not having babies?? I think this person is quite ignorant and is probably reacting to his personal irritation at some dog in his neighbourhood.

Pet excrement barely blips on the radar by comparison to the various forms of pollution caused by humans. If humans concentrated and cared more about cleaning up their own act in all the ways they create pollution instead of trying to create hype and blame on something else we'd be better off.

After rain, all this poo dump ends up in our groundwater, rivers and oceans, contributing to algal blooms and deadly E coli contamination.

Each pooch sqanders 0.84ha of land per year on grain and meat productions

None of this is fact.

After rain, all this poo dump ends up in our groundwater, rivers and oceans, contributing to algal blooms and deadly E coli contamination.

None of this is fact.

yeah I would like to know where he is pulling this info from!

None of this is fact.

probably same place the poop comes from ( :p )

None of this is fact.

probably same place the poop comes from ( :grouphug: )

:rofl::mad you read my mind!!! :D :D nearl choked on my chocolate when I saw that :p

There are more things in this world that we need to turn our minds to in order to reduce pollution, rather than dog/pet excrement. Sure, there's probably some scientific merit in the reduction of pet/animal waste, but seriously... The big smoke billowing coal fired power stations need to be reviewed first, dog shit second. :p

I hear the argument that pets aren't good for the environment more and more. I usually reply that their boat/house at the coast/overseas holiday/McMansion/flat screen TV in every room isn't that good for the environment either.

Human beings are the greatest contributors to pollution.

Naturally occuring bush fires cause more damage (in terms of CO2 output) than humans could ever manage.

Nature is an irresponsible skank who doesn't care about the environment.

I hear the argument that pets aren't good for the environment more and more. I usually reply that their boat/house at the coast/overseas holiday/McMansion/flat screen TV in every room isn't that good for the environment either.

You have to wonder whether they would eat the stuff we feed our dogs, also.

Ask him if he snorts cocaine. 1 line of that does more to destroy the environment than anything a pet does.

That article reads like it was written by a Peta activist.

:p :grouphug::rofl:

Here is the perfect example of a person who didn't ever get any puppy hugs as a child.

Now look what they've become ........

Quick everyone grab the 1st kid that passes you in the street and make them hug your dog !!! It'll be worth it in the end. ( :mad )