Ever Snuck The Dog Into A Motel?

I was wondering who takes their dog on road trips with them and does the old sneaking the dog into the motel room. When I was looking for my dog, the woman who first introduced me to Papillons added, amongst her other positive notes, that Paps were small enough to be "popped in a Woollies green bag to go into the motel rooms" :eek: I was mightily impressed by this.

Since getting my dog I have done a few long road trips but inevitably didn't stay overnight. Recently I have heard of a few people, with small dogs, who have done this for years... I have looked at the pet friendly accommodation but it never looks that nice, as opposed to staying in a nice motel.

Has anyone done this?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive snuck dogs into motels before. Wait til its dark then sneak them in under a blanket or similar lol.

I regularly do very long road trips. Usually the dog/s i take with me sleep in the car but if i only have one dog with me and I stop overnight I have been known to sneak the dog in, particualrly if its a pup still.

Done this with a kelpie x and iggies

Edited by indigirl

No, but when I've been to motels I have my car set up with a crate & grills so that the dog can sleep in the back overnight safely. I figure it's not their business what's in my car! :eek:

That's very sensible. Do you do that in the warmer months?? I am very careful not to leave my dog in a warm car, but obviously you have managed the temperature for them ok.

Many years ago I had a German Shepherd who NEVER barked, so I often took him with me staying in motels, sneaking in after dark. One day, at home, he suddenly uttered one "woof", looked very surprised, never barked again :eek:

When we drove from Orange to Mackay we had all the pets, the cat took to motels very nicely. The dogs slept in the car though.

When we had Daisy we used to sneak her in everywhere, and when Mac was a puppy we had to sneak her in a couple fo places. We just make sure we don't leave any evidence. Coming up form Orange about a year ago we didn't expect to have the dogs with us but we had Buster and Mac, we had to stay overnight 2 nights on the way up. The first place in Gosford we got Buster coming in with the dogs in the back of the car, we were only going to leave them in the car in the carpark but they wernt too keen, eventually they said yes but if they made a noise we were out.

Thats when I relised we had no food and had to walk down to the servo to get somehting for them and then run around for an hour digging out dog bowls form the luggage and running up and down stairs feeding, watering and toileting them.

The next night was easier, the place we stayed said we were welcome to have them in the car so we didn't have to sneak them past reception to walk them. Both were dead silent both nights despite it pouring rain.

I was honestly thinking about this when it came to the subject of "oh god, we don't have a caravan and we're getting a dog soon, buh-bye holidaying!". I think Vallhunds in general like talking too much to be able to do something like that, unfortunately. I need to teach him to be as quiet as Noelle's GSD!

Travelling back home with Mum and Dad late one night we had to pull into a motel. They smuggled there very old silky terrier in with them.

The owners knew that we had a dog and he would be in the car all night. Next morning turns out the motel owners had there own jack russell and while they were cleaning the rooms he would run in and out the rooms!

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accomodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

If you want to travel with your pet, plan your trip, book places that accept pets or set you car/trailer up to accommodate... Stop screwing it up for the rest of us

Edited by ReadySetGo

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accomodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

If you want to travel with your pet, plan your trip, book places that accept pets or set you car/trailer up to accommodate... Stop screwing it up for the rest of us

I agree!!

It's already so hard to find accomodation that accepts pets and deliberately taking pets into hotels/motels that have a no pets policy isn't helping anyone!

Whenever I travel, I find pet friendly places to stay, or they stay in the car. It's not that hard, on the odd occasion the dog needed to be with me (which is very rare) I ask the owner and usually offer a little bit more and show them the crate they will sleep in....they are usually lenient then but I wouldn't do it with dogs that can stay in the car.

It is not dog owners who have created that attitude. It is a general idea that dogs/animals are unclean and will ruin the hygiene/decor. There may be a point in that... HOWEVER people have been sneaking in animals for yonks, especially with smaller, more easily handled dogs, and there is nothing to say that they are being irresponsible in deciding that their dog will not mess up the place. If you are travelling with bigger or multiple dogs it is obviously harder. But don't blame dog owners for the attitude by motel owners...a bit of a silly conclusion.

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accommodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

You beat me to it ReadySetGo.

It's people like you lot, that that sneak dogs into rooms that stuff it all up for those that do the right thing.

We need accommodation when we travel to shows you know.

Because of people like you, that do the wrong thing we are refused accommodation even when the dogs are in cars or the dog trailer.

If you can't accommodate your dogs while traveling don't take them. :eek::cry: :D

It is not dog owners who have created that attitude. It is a general idea that dogs/animals are unclean and will ruin the hygiene/decor. There may be a point in that... HOWEVER people have been sneaking in animals for yonks, especially with smaller, more easily handled dogs, and there is nothing to say that they are being irresponsible in deciding that their dog will not mess up the place. If you are travelling with bigger or multiple dogs it is obviously harder. But don't blame dog owners for the attitude by motel owners...a bit of a silly conclusion.

It IS actually dog owners who have created the attitude.

Ask the owners of accomodation that were previously pet friendly why they are now No Pets.......nearly all would say because owners didn't keep the place clean or the dog destroyed something.

Great too see that people think it's acceptable because their dogs are small though :eek:

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accommodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

You beat me to it ReadySetGo.

It's people like you lot, that that sneak dogs into rooms that stuff it all up for those that do the right thing.

We need accommodation when we travel to shows you know.

Because of people like you, that do the wrong thing we are refused accommodation even when the dogs are in cars or the dog trailer.

If you can't accommodate your dogs while traveling don't take them. :eek::cry: :D

Good lord! You are both jumping onto something that is NOT the cause of not being able to have multiple dogs at motels. I understand you may be very frustrated and this thread triggers it BUT we are often single dog owners on odd occasions (and hey, I haven't even done it yet, why am I so worried). You need to both take a deep breath... It is all too serious and frankly sneaking a little muttley into a motel overnight, once every two years is not a reason to go all crazy!