Do Dogs "see" Things That We Don't?

ellz

We went for a wander this morning around a very, VERY old church with graves that date back to the earliest settlers in Tasmania. One of the monuments marks the burial site of the first white woman to set foot in Australia.

Anyway, whilst we were wandering around (taking a few photos), Roger was (on lead) walking with us.

But...on a couple of occasions, he almost jumped out of his skin about NOTHING. There was no noise, no movement but Wog took off with his ears pinned and his tail jammed up his butt. He was absolutely TERRIFIED and was shaking and obviously distressed (so of course we left).

We started talking and were wondering if maybe he saw "things" that we couldn't see...the supernatural etc.

What do you think?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes. This morning, Archie saw a fluffy white cat from a distance - the that we often see and always makes him jumpy and hisses at him - it was sitting in the gutter and he started carrying on. But to us it looked like a white plastic bag fluttering around. :thumbsup:

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Maybe ellz - or maybe they pick up on other things such as smells, atmosphere etc that spooks them.

I had a similar experience whenever I walked my dogs in a particular spot when I lived in New Norfolk. You might know it - it used to be the "mental institution" or whatever they called them. Even I could pick up on the strange vibrations there (I dont know how else to put it). The place had a smell about it as well and just a spooky desperately sad feel about it.

The dogs were always subdued and acted a little wary when we walked near the buildings - but okay when we got away a bit and into the fields etc.

I've no doubt dogs are more attuned to the "history" of places - however that's conveyed to them.

Edited by spottychick

Sheesh, the Mental Asylum at NN gives ME the heebie jeebies! I asked Trafford if he wanted to take any pics there on the 21st and he commented it probably wasn't a good idea because BOTH of us would hear things....Hotel California style! :(

The little graveyard we were at today (at Lawitta...you may know it SC), is a lovely rural one with sheep paddocks on 2 sides and a cherry farm on the other (road frontage). We were right at the back, beautiful scenery and he just went silly. Not that he's the bravest creature on earth at the best of times, but he was REALLY freaked today!

Just downloading some of the pics that I took and I'll share when they're done.

That looks a lot like the cemetery in my town Ellz. I havent been to Lawitta - which part of tassie is it in?

how do they know she's the very first white woman? Just wondering. You probably can't answer that LOL

And yes, NN Mental "asylum" is definitely a "special" place. Only two other places in Tassie so far have given me a similar creepy feeling - Rossarden and parts of the peninsula leading to and around port arthur.

Lawitta is just outside New Norfolk.

I daresay they have records to say who she is/was and what she did.

Hmmmm then I would have gone there, or at least driven through there :( Just forgotten the name I guess.

LOL Yeah I reckon they would have records of some kind. :thumbsup:

We started talking and were wondering if maybe he saw "things" that we couldn't see...the supernatural etc.

What do you think?

Absolutely not!! A dog's sense of hearing is about 4 times that of a human and their sense of smell is immeasurable. Therefore, they hear and smell things that we just cannot comprehend. Their sight is favours movement, so comparing their senses to ours is just not logical. Whatever your dog's reaction was to unobserved stimuli was just that, a reaction to unobserved stimuli.

I don't think they do. I walk my dog in a cemetery frequently and the park outside its walls was once part of the cemetery (they removed the headstones only) is a dog park and have not seen any unusual behaviour from my dogs or any of the dogs I have been with.

Many of the 18,000 graves are connected with the sea - sailors, shipwrecks, drownings, navy etc and also the grave of the woman who inspired Miss Havisham in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, former Sydney mayors, Governor Bligh's son in law, pioneer of anaesthetics in Aus, composer of Aus' first opera as well as convicts hung at the Darlinghurst gaol.