Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Do any any the distributors have the Light variety available yet? Have been feeding Black Hawk to mine for a few months now but I need to get a few of the oldies onto the light version as they are doing a little too well on it.

TB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do any any the distributors have the Light variety available yet? Have been feeding Black Hawk to mine for a few months now but I need to get a few of the oldies onto the light version as they are doing a little too well on it.

TB

There is a light variety now. I have just this week started my two tubbys on it as of Monday night but I was really pleased to notice my tubby girl had slimmed down after I clipped her on Wednesday (obviously the food didn't work that quick :laugh: ) I have been cutting her back for a while now so the light variety is only going to help more. I had to go to the vet to pay my bill so I took Lacy to weight her and she has lost a kilo, so I was really pleased about that. WIll be interesting to see how they fare on the light stuff.

Guest english.ivy

How much are you feeding? Can you bulk out their meals with mushed veggies? Veggies fill them up.

I add other stuff to their BH, be it natures gift tinned food, veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt and meat. My two lick their bowls really clean and then go to sleep. I defiantly didn't see them get hungrier on BH. Of course they could keep eating, they're dogs but they don't go in search of more food.

They ate their dinner about 20 minutes ago and they are both chilling outside, probably asleep by now.

Both Shelley and Rascal are on a diet as they need to lose weight. Shelley gets 1 1/4 cup of black hawk. Rascal only gets a small handful just enough to cover the bottom of his bowl.I've tryed once before bulking her meals with green beans it didn't woek she still acted like she was straving.The foods that make her feel very hungry are bonnie lite,great barko,coprice and now black hawk. She seems fine on bonnie adult which she got 1 and half cups of.

Those kibbles all have completely different ingredient lists, there isn't a lot in common between any of them, so I dare say the dog would be hungry on most kibbles, not just Black Hawk.

Does she, at any stage during the day, get a raw bone? Mine all start the day with a raw chicken drumstick for breakfast, the BH is their dinner plus they get a little bit each at bed time.

I would be hungry too if I were on a diet. As someone said...bulk it out with mashed pumpkin or sweet potato. My BC girl is on 1 cup BH at night & for breakfast she gets a lovely raw meaty bone, plus training treats during the day, which sometimes come in the form of BH. She weighs 19 kilos.

Guest english.ivy

Both Shelley and Rascal are on a diet as they need to lose weight. Shelley gets 1 1/4 cup of black hawk. Rascal only gets a small handful just enough to cover the bottom of his bowl.I've tryed once before bulking her meals with green beans it didn't woek she still acted like she was straving.The foods that make her feel very hungry are bonnie lite,great barko,coprice and now black hawk. She seems fine on bonnie adult which she got 1 and half cups of.

Go buy some sweet potato and pumpkin [they're both in season!], chop and cook till well done. I boil mine [don't add any salt]. Then mush the life out of it, I use a potato masher.

Also I don't peel the veggies.

Add about twoish tablespoons per meal. I don't think most dogs are keen on green beans.

There are a lot less carbs in Black Hawk, so if Shelly is used to eating Bonnie etc then she's going to take some time to adjust to eating less food and a less carb filled food.

If she's hungry, like the others said, give her a nice yummy bone to eat and try to remove off any excess fat. Roo tails would be great for her as they are very low in fat.

Ask around at your butchers and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help :)

I'm sure she won't stave, dogs are VERY good at pulling at our heart strings.

One of mine is a vacuum cleaner no matter how much I feed her. I think you need to worry less about how the dogs are acting and go by their condition. Don't feed any scraps from the kitchen, dinner table or your plate, and don't allow them to scavenge off the floor. They'll learn that food doesn't come from those places and stop begging.

Hungry dogs are much easier to train! ;)

One of mine is a vacuum cleaner no matter how much I feed her. I think you need to worry less about how the dogs are acting and go by their condition. Don't feed any scraps from the kitchen, dinner table or your plate, and don't allow them to scavenge off the floor. They'll learn that food doesn't come from those places and stop begging.

+ 1

Dogs are scavengers by nature. I would be worried if my dogs were not hungry all the time.

I do not like to see dogs fed until they are full. Too many owners worry about their dogs being hungry and I believe this is why so many dogs are over weight.

As long as the dog is healthy and getting only what it needs regarding food in take then stop worrying IMO.

Guest english.ivy

Mumtoshelley - I thought of something you could do after shelley eats her meals and still appears hungry.

You could do some training with her, get her mind away from eating and get her to focus on you. Even if it's basic training, it still gets her thinking.

I posted photos of my Pointer in the photography section, he looks ribby but I like to keep him that way and he certiantly isn't underfed!

I just ordered my second bag tonight. We have plenty of pumpkin here does it matter what kind of pumpkin? We have been growing butternut and butternut crosses so we have alot of them. I plan on cooking up some pumpkin tommorrow for the dogs.

+ 1

Dogs are scavengers by nature. I would be worried if my dogs were not hungry all the time.

I do not like to see dogs fed until they are full. Too many owners worry about their dogs being hungry and I believe this is why so many dogs are over weight.

As long as the dog is healthy and getting only what it needs regarding food in take then stop worrying IMO.

Yep, dogs are food opportunists. My husband says "They can eat more than that!" and I say they can, but they're not going to. As long as they are in good health and not underweight, they can act as hungry as they want but they aren't getting more.

And some dogs are master manipulators and learn very quickly what works to get food into their mouths........puppy eyes, a paw held up, a cute look.......they know what works.

What's wrong with my girl then? I made a beautiful dinner for her, barf, BH, rice and flax seed oil... She gets this every night and barely touches it unless we hand feed... Even then she looks at me like "do I have to?" Breakfast is the same minus the rice and barf and sardines instead... and she is a lab!!!!!

She has trained you well Olivebaby ;)

Though it does sound like she is getting fed too much and because of that can allow herself to get picky with what she wants to eat and how.

I would put her food down, leave it for 10 minutes if she doesn't eat it then take it away. No dinner for her. Try again the next day if the same thing happens take her food away again. She will soon understand she either eats out of her bowl or goes hungry ;)

No dog will starve themselves when there is food in front of them.

Edited by tollersowned

She sure has got me trained :-) but I don't think I'm feeding too much. She is very trim. She has a cup of kibble and half a small can of sardines in the morning, a chicken wing for lunch and another cup of kibble and half a barf patty for dinner. But I might try doing as you suggested with her dinner. I don't mind her grazing on dry biscuits but I don't like leaving the meat out. Thanks for your suggestion.

Guest english.ivy

I just ordered my second bag tonight. We have plenty of pumpkin here does it matter what kind of pumpkin? We have been growing butternut and butternut crosses so we have alot of them. I plan on cooking up some pumpkin tommorrow for the dogs.

Yeah any pumpkin is ok :) I use butternut as its the cheapest.

She has trained you well Olivebaby ;)

Though it does sound like she is getting fed too much and because of that can allow herself to get picky with what she wants to eat and how.

I would put her food down, leave it for 10 minutes if she doesn't eat it then take it away. No dinner for her. Try again the next day if the same thing happens take her food away again. She will soon understand she either eats out of her bowl or goes hungry ;)

No dog will starve themselves when there is food in front of them.

I had to do this with Ivy as a puppy as I was throwing away so much food! But after about a week she changed her tune and ate anything I gave her and she ate it from her bowl.

There has been a supply issue with Black Hawk, well to do with the courier. A guy was doing the dodgy and not delivering the food, he was keeping it :eek: So Wendy got onto head office of said company and got him fired. So now they've had to hire someone else and deliver the back log of food. My bag was meant to arrive yesterday and it didn't, so hopefully today! Poor Wendy, she's about to go to NZ and her food isn't getting delivered.